*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

The other night I had a dream, and I really hope it isn’t a dream of things to come.

The Middle East (countries unspecified in my dream) declared war on the United States and were set to deploy units over here. Their war was waged on one thing, and if they received this one thing, they promised that they would stand down. The one thing they wanted was for Nebraska to denounce their 1995 National Championship. (Apparently said country/its wanted to claim that championship..?) 

I though for sure Nebraska would do the good thing for the rest of the US and denounce the championship, but a Nebraska spokesperson went live on TV and stated we wouldn’t give up the claim and would fight for it.

• Plus1 1

This has been popping up on Twitter for years, and the reaction to the answer actually being 9 cracks me up every time. A lot of people think it's 1 (which, IMO, is more of a reflection of the education/retention process than anything else).

I read through one of the recent threads on this and I saw and understood how people got to so many different answers. 

My initial answer was 9:  1+2=3;  6/2=3;  3x3=9.

I'm pretty sure that's how we were taught math in grade school or whatever. You do the stuff in parentheses first, then the external equation, then the resulting equation. 

But I've seen:  1+2=3;  2x3=6;  6/6=1

And that makes sense because once you've done the parenthetical equation, you do the adjacent multiplication and finish with the division.  Pretty sure I've heard of that as well.

I'd say this takes some massive cojones, but the truth is, this is just rude. And it's trespassing. 

2300x0.jpg

At this wedding, the bride and groom were the crashers

SOUTHWEST RANCHES, Fla. (AP) — Courtney Wilson and Shenita Jones invited family and friends to their “dream home and estate” for their weekend wedding celebration: the ceremony Saturday, brunch on Sunday.

There was just one problem: The couple didn't own the 16,300-square-foot (1,500-square-meter) mansion and didn't have permission to use it.

The suburban Fort Lauderdale estate had everything: a bowling alley, swimming pool with a waterfall, hot tub, tennis courts, a gazebo and an 800-foot (240-meter) bar. Wilson said it was God's plan that the couple marry there.

But despite what the invitation inferred, the actual owner, Nathan Finkel, never gave them permission to hold the festivities there. He was stunned when Wilson showed up Saturday morning to set up and he called police, according to the South Florida SunSentinel.

“I have people trespassing on my property,” Finkel told a 911 dispatcher. “And they keep harassing me, calling me. They say they’re having a wedding here and it’s God’s message. I don’t know what’s going on. All I want is (for) it to stop. And they’re sitting at my property right at the front gate right now.”

Two officers told Wilson he would have to leave. He did and no charges were filed.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Wilson told the paper.

Finkel, whose late father was an early IHOP restaurant franchisee, has been trying to sell the property for two years, now listing it for just over $5 million.

Wilson, posing as a potential buyer, toured the estate several months ago, said Keith Poliakoff, attorney for Southwest Ranches, the upscale suburb where Finkel resides.

“A few months later, this guy asked Nathan if he could use Nathan’s backyard for his wedding,” Poliakoff said. “Nathan said no.”

But that didn't stop the couple from sending out elaborate invitations, detailing their love story: reconnecting 30 years after high school and how he proposed over pizza on Christmas Eve. The Saturday afternoon ceremony would be followed by a red carpet cocktail hour and a reception lasting past midnight. Sunday brunch would be from noon to 4.

“The guy figured it was a vacant house and didn’t realize Nathan lived on the property in a different home,” Poliakoff said. “This guy had no idea he lived there. You know the shock that must have been on his face when he showed up at the gate and the owner was home?”

It looks like a nice place. I can see why you'd want to have a wedding there. But if the owner says no...    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I read through one of the recent threads on this and I saw and understood how people got to so many different answers. 

My initial answer was 9:  1+2=3;  6/2=3;  3x3=9.

I'm pretty sure that's how we were taught math in grade school or whatever. You do the stuff in parentheses first, then the external equation, then the resulting equation. 

But I've seen:  1+2=3;  2x3=6;  6/6=1

And that makes sense because once you've done the parenthetical equation, you do the adjacent multiplication and finish with the division.  Pretty sure I've heard of that as well.

I just learned this today: apparently, if you go back say 100 years or so, there is a historical precedent that could be used to argue the answer is 1 based on certain math concepts and applications.

But, the answer among modern day mathematicians is universally 9.

I think what throws people off is the PEMDAS itself... and thinking you have to literally go in order from P to S. I thought this for years until I got to college. That's when I learned it's more appropriate to look at it like PE(MD)(AS), MD and AS being interchangeable. You can do division first if there isn't another priority and the operation goes from left to right, but some people think the multiplication HAS to come first always and that's incorrect. So, when you get to 6/2(3)... you do the division first (6/2) and then multiply by 3 for 9.

• Plus1 1

On 4/22/2021 at 10:10 AM, Enhance said:

This has been popping up on Twitter for years, and the reaction to the answer actually being 9 cracks me up every time. A lot of people think it's 1 (which, IMO, is more of a reflection of the education/retention process than anything else).

The order of operations rule is PEMDAS. Parentheses, exponents, multiplication & division, addition & subtraction. M&D are equal as are A&S, those get done left to right. So this ends up being 6 divided by 2 times 3 = 3x3 = 9.

I can see how someone could get 1 if they fail to operate from left to right ......but 7. I have no idea how anyone gets there.

edit- and this is why you should read the thread to the end before posting. I now see @Enhance already covered this.

• Haha 1