Interesting stat I saw on ESPN

Here's some more stats for us to chew on, per Brian Bennet of ESPN. While it is sub-par competition, the offense is killing it on 1st downs. Still impressive....

"Nebraska has averaged 7.9 yards on first down this season. The Huskers have run 105 first-down plays and totaled 826 yards, producing 52 percent of their total yards for the season on first down. Nebraska had 359 yards on 38 first-down snaps in the season opener against Southern Miss, averaging 9.4 yards on first down. Against UCLA, the Huskers gained 194 yards on 33 first-down snaps, an average of 5.9 yards per play, and in a 42-13 win against Arkansas State the Huskers rolled up 273 yards on 34 first-down attempts, for an average of 8.0 yards per play."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

not trying to be a negative nancy or anything but wasn't 92 of those yards on 1 play?

Actually, Taylor's 92 yard run was on 2nd and 6. So that play would not count in those stats, if that is the play that you were referring to.

I wonder how much other fans of teams, berate their teams for leading any statistical category? Are Husker fans that hard on their team?

I mean come on, someone posts that we lead the nation in something, and its the same old sh#t. "Yea it's because we play patsies, yea but what about this or that".

Do we really feel the need to be so pessimistic that we can't except the good things this team does?

Yes. Here are the things I've learned from the "realists:"

a) Anything good or great Nebraska does is because they were playing a patsy,

b) We win it's because the other team's best player got hurt and if when we lose because we had several key injuries then that's just making pathetic excuses,

c) Only Nebraska's Bo Pelini is ever heated or short-tempered with the media. No other team's head coach ever acts inappropriately.

Those are things off the top of my head.

• Fire 1

We all like the big play.

We all like TDs.

But what we know of Cornhusker football is ground and pound. We all feel like we should be up by 21+ pts in the 4th qtr and watch 2nd stringers grind out 9 play 77 yd td drives while we clap for the other team.

Those days are ova. So we see sats like this and wonder "who cares, we got beat in the 4th qtr against UCLA"

We have an explosive offense that's for sure. But the second guessing of this particular stat comes in when we have 57 yd td runs against lesser teams but can't close out other teams with gains of 4/7/12 yds when it matters.

Let's see a 68 yd run in the 3rd qtr against michigan to put the game away. Not against Idaho st. in the 1st qtr.

We all like TDs.

But what we know of Cornhusker football is ground and pound. We all feel like we should be up by 21+ pts in the 4th qtr and watch 2nd stringers grind out 9 play 77 yd td drives while we clap for the other team.

Those days are ova. So we see sats like this and wonder "who cares, we got beat in the 4th qtr against UCLA"

We have an explosive offense that's for sure. But the second guessing of this particular stat comes in when we have 57 yd td runs against lesser teams but can't close out other teams with gains of 4/7/12 yds when it matters.

Let's see a 68 yd run in the 3rd qtr against michigan to put the game away. Not against Idaho st. in the 1st qtr.

Like we did against Ohio St. last year?

We all like TDs.

Like we did against Ohio St. last year?

What was a 40+ RUN in the game, especially in the 3rd or 4th qtr?

Or are u saying we ground and pound them?

Yeah, it happens...but it's easy to dismiss a stat we lead the nation in when its a bit misleading as in so far as how does it help us win big games agains quality oppts? Especially after having the big plays in the 1st qtr or two....

What was a 40+ RUN in the game, especially in the 3rd or 4th qtr? Or are u saying we ground and pound them? Yeah, it happens...but it's easy to dismiss a stat we lead the nation in when its a bit misleading as in so far as how does it help us win big games agains quality oppts? Especially after having the big plays in the 1st qtr or two....

Stats during the season represent a snap shot of the right now, not the totality of the season. The point is, for once just revel in the moment.

I think his point was that our offense in 2010 was a big play or bust kind of offense, whereas this year we don't have to rely on just the big plays to get our points. Obviously, you go for the end zone if the play opens up, but this year we are still fine if we don't get that long gain.

I thought that was pretty clear, but thanks for clarifying for everybody. :thumbs

I think his point was that our offense in 2010 was a big play or bust kind of offense, whereas this year we don't have to rely on just the big plays to get our points. Obviously, you go for the end zone if the play opens up, but this year we are still fine if we don't get that long gain.

I thought that was pretty clear, but thanks for clarifying for everybody. :thumbs

Yeah I knew what you were saying, but some people need it explained differently. But don't worry, I got your back. :thumbs

What was a 40+ RUN in the game, especially in the 3rd or 4th qtr? Or are u saying we ground and pound them? Yeah, it happens...but it's easy to dismiss a stat we lead the nation in when its a bit misleading as in so far as how does it help us win big games agains quality oppts? Especially after having the big plays in the 1st qtr or two....

Stats during the season represent a snap shot of the right now, not the totality of the season. The point is, for once just revel in the moment.

Except this particualr stat goes back a few yrs, not just this season up to this point.

And if we have 7 runs of 40+ yds tomorrow and then stall out against Michigan or purdue in the b1G title game (much like we did agaisnt texass or aTm game, or the 2nd half of the B12 agaisnt OU) then, yeah, I'm not gonna revel in this stat.

If they can have these throughout the yr, then I'll be happy. But until I see it when it matters against quality opponents, color me skeptical on this stat being important to me.

If we had led the nation in turnovers for TDs or something like sacks, I'd be singing a different tune. But look who these runs came against and at what point in the season.

Here's some more stats for us to chew on, per Brian Bennet of ESPN. While it is sub-par competition, the offense is killing it on 1st downs. Still impressive....

"Nebraska has averaged 7.9 yards on first down this season. The Huskers have run 105 first-down plays and totaled 826 yards, producing 52 percent of their total yards for the season on first down. Nebraska had 359 yards on 38 first-down snaps in the season opener against Southern Miss, averaging 9.4 yards on first down. Against UCLA, the Huskers gained 194 yards on 33 first-down snaps, an average of 5.9 yards per play, and in a 42-13 win against Arkansas State the Huskers rolled up 273 yards on 34 first-down attempts, for an average of 8.0 yards per play."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

...and 1 for 11 on 3rd down. Pathetic. 1st down means nothing if you can't get the important yards. And yes fire Barney.

T_O_B

G>B>R

:throwdabones1: