Wisconsin

Apparently Wisconsin has a redshirt freshman that had 112 yards on only 8 carries. I know it was only UTEP but did anyone watch the game? Is the guy that good, or was UTEP just folding at the end of the game. Wiscy coach Beilema says he is not "overly concerned" if Ball can't return by Saturday. Is this guy just arrogant or are their back up RB's that good?

I watched the game. Their back up RBs are good. Arguably better than Ball (but I think most of Ball's success from last year can be attributed to that offensive line and Russell Wilson). Their offensive line isn't anywhere near as good as it has been the last several years. Not surprising since their good coaches went to Pitt.

Unfortunately, our defensive line is nothing to write home about either.

Last year, until Beck went all Air Raid, we were winning. 3 Picks on the next 3 series resulted in 21 points before we even knew what hit us. Team folded. Same thing at UCLA. (team didn't appear to quit, but seemed dazed and confused) IMO, we are MUCH improved offensively. Wisky is down with the loss of Wilson, OC, other staff and their O line.

If Beck calls plays to the strength of this team, we will win. Our D line is no better or worse than last year (perhaps slightly better with youth and E Martin). LB, obvious downgrade without David. DB's, pipe hittin MFers in the back that will lay the wood ie Cooper, Osbourne, Evans, Smith, Mo, Stafford etc.... BIG improvement over last year. We have RB's who can pound the rock, receivers who can catch and Martinez rocking 70.7% completion rate. Suck it B1G., NU is back. (pass the kool aid). Just have to find a way to stop the run game!

Beilema doesn't appear to be a genius. That guy is gone. Bo might not be the master of Chess either, but appears to be learning.

I hope we just take our time, study lots of film and really prepare for the game. I still have visions of that game between us and Texas. How we got overly excited about that game and we all know how that turned out! Play OUR game. Take care of OUR plays. (But I do hope we beat the crap out of them!! ;) GO BIG RED!!!

AGREEEEEED...I was at that game and it was AWFUL. We couldn't catch ANYTHING and should've killed them. Lets just play our game...run our offense like we know we can...and let the Blackshirts step up!

Apparently Wisconsin has a redshirt freshman that had 112 yards on only 8 carries. I know it was only UTEP but did anyone watch the game? Is the guy that good, or was UTEP just folding at the end of the game. Wiscy coach Beilema says he is not "overly concerned" if Ball can't return by Saturday. Is this guy just arrogant or are their back up RB's that good?

Melvin Gordon was the redshirt freshman's name. They ran him on the sweep a lot...apparently they run him motion quite frequently just to give the defense a different look. Definitely somebody to keep an eye on. I think a big thing for our defense will be "staying home" on plays. Their offensive line is not that great and as long as we don't overrun plays or cue too much on the run, giving up a big play action pass that they like to do often...I think we'll be ok.

Melvin Gordon was the redshirt freshman's name. They ran him on the sweep a lot...apparently they run him motion quite frequently just to give the defense a different look. Definitely somebody to keep an eye on. I think a big thing for our defense will be "staying home" on plays. Their offensive line is not that great and as long as we don't overrun plays or cue too much on the run, giving up a big play action pass that they like to do often...I think we'll be ok.

They know this line isn't up past standards. They'll hammer the rock but I think we'll see more creativity than traditionally seen from Wiscy. I'd look for them to get that Gordon kid into space and force us to make the kind of tackles we were missing against UCLA.

Think this one gets down to who can pressure the qb. They have a frosh playing. TM's passing has progressed a lot but UCLA showed you can still shake him up. Whomever can beat on the qb, forcing fumbles, picks, and other miscues, will have a big leg up. I like that Stave isn't a runner, mobile qb's have given us a lot of problems.

• Fire 1

A downfall might be that we won't know if Montee is playing until Friday. Bielma is notorious for keeping info secret and trying to get any cheap advantage, kind of like not sending Oregon state film of their first game because Oregons state game got postponed, looks like it didn't matter, but in any case I don't think it will change our gameplay much, James white is a good rb as well

It doesn't matter that much. The Badger O-line is a work in progress at best, we're starting an RS frosh who really has only one reliable receiver, the players are still learning the new coaching staff's offense, and Gordon and White would probably start for anybody else in the conference, anyway.

In other words, our offense would struggle equally with Ball at 100%. You guys have a pretty good shot at getting a dose of revenge from last year.

That said, the Badgers did show some improvement on Saturday, but still.....

Good post and appreciate your insight but to say that White of Gordon would start for any other team in the conference is naive. Gordon is just a Fr. and White is not better than Rex or Bell at MSU, and there are some others in conference that are pretty good as well.

OSU barely beat UW. OSU killed UCLA, we lost to UCLA. This will be a closer game than people will expect

We beat Ohio State

Ohio State beat Wisconsin

We beat Wiscons... oh, n/m

We beat Michigan State

Michigan State beat Northwestern

We beat Northwes.... oh, n/m

I could do this all day long.

Right. The transitive property of college football scores is a very weak one, especially when road-home varies as it does in this game. Wisconsin's rush game woes are a combination of a new offensive coordinator, and offensive line coach (since fired) who tried to make a major change in technique, and the losses of some very good players to graduation.

Back in August I said on this board that James White might not be our second best running back. I think I mentioned Gordon. We'll see Saturday who plays the most.

I think 2Beez is playing his usual "an injured player might play" game with Montee Ball. I'll be very surprised if Ball plays. It's simply not worth the risk to his brain. He was concussed in August and then took two helmet to helmet hits early in the game against UTEP.

As a touchdown or more underdog with Bielema as coach, Wisconsin has not covered a single spread. I doubt if we will Saturday night, but anything is possible.

Wisconsin's defense has played fairly well, but has not generated a single turnover yet this season. The one fumble recovery the Badgers have had was on a punt return. If Wisconsin can somehow generate positive turnovers, we have a shot, but that doesn't seem likely. Negative turnovers for Wisconsin will lead to a total rout.