*** Official Wisconsin Game Discussion Thread ***

knapplc

So much turmoil on Wiscy's side of the ball, from graduation of 3/5ths of their O Line to the loss of six assistant coaches from last year's staff - and the forced ouster of this year's new O Line coach two weeks into the season. On top of that you have Montee Ball possibly missing time due to a concussion, they're starting a redshirt freshman with six total quarters' worth of football under his belt, and they have next to no passing game to speak of.

I have no idea which Husker team will show up today. But if they're even remotely competent, we should be able to beat this team.

Even if Ball doesn't play a snap, Wisconsin has 2 capable RBs behind him that have looked pretty good at times this year. Wisconsin this year so far has been extremely average.

It's been said already, but this game's outcome hinges on what Husker team shows up today. If our defense plays well, we win. If our defense stinks it up ala the UCLA game, it could be a frustrating evening for the fans.

I think on offense, we need to stick to the run game, sprinkle in some play action passes, and wear down the Wisconsin defense. If we keep the physicality up on offense, we should see yardage come in chunks in the 2nd half. On the other hand, if we get down by a little bit and Beck does his usual and tries to pass it 70-80% of the time, it could once again get frustrating.

Run the ball, play defense, win football games.

Been on the road all week and so just sat down this morning to look at Wisconsins record and stats thus far---it aint impressive--they barely got by some teams that pretthy much suck thus far---if it was one isolated game----could give them a pass, but their body of work thus far is very poor. I think you keep things simple. Establish the running game with Rex---sprinkle in some safe passing rouites, screens to Turner, Heard, etc. Get them to load up the box and then send Bell down the sidelines. Wear down the defense and then in the second half, really let AA, Heard and Cross lay the smack down. On defense,---play assigment football---get some early pressure on the QB---and contain their running game--dont get shook if they break a few runs or even score early---DO NOT PANIC----stick the plan with some minor tweaks. Its going to be a long day just waiting for the game to get here.

"I want to go home. Do you understand that? I want to go home. … I saw that I don't like what you do. Any of you. … You pretend to be my friend, the way you pretend everything. A friend doesn't lock you up. A friend doesn't take you away from your home, and say that its for your own good. How long do you really think I'll let you keep me here?"

Why I am pessimistic

1. UCLA is a bad team and they shredded the NU defense
  2. NU is returning to the base defense (slow LBs and line up 1 yard off the line of scrimmage)
  3. Injuries - it seemed like NU lost a defender every series last week.
  4. Beck doesn't seem to adjust after an opposing DC adjusts.
  5. Beck doesn't adjust when TM is pressured.

Why I am optimistic

1. NU has speed on offense
  2. The NU receivers are physical
  3. Eric Martin may play the more than 1/2 of the defensive snaps
  4. The NU secondary appears to be really good
  5. Wisconsin is not a top 30 team

Why I am pessimistic

2. NU is returning to the base defense (slow LBs and line up 1 yard off the line of scrimmage)

Why I am optimistic

IMO, it all comes down to Beck and his play calling. Initially against UCLA, I was posting what a great game he was calling and then UCLA adjusted and Beck went all Tom Brady back there with Martinez.

I was talking to a friend yesterday at work and told him we do not have an excuse if we lose this game. Last year....Madison was jacked up and Wisconsin wanted to beat us bad which they did. Now the tables have turned. Just hope the Husker fans treat badgers fans with the up most integrity. I'm sure Tom Osborne would appreciate it.

Why I am pessimistic

Why I am optimistic

IMO, it all comes down to Beck and his play calling. Initially against UCLA, I was posting what a great game he was calling and then UCLA adjusted and Beck went all Tom Brady back there with Martinez.

Great posts. This seems to be the only real problem I have with our offense. I mean, there isn't really a lot to complain about offensively, but against the better defenses we play we will have to be able to adjust when Taylor does not have time back there. It clearly didn't happen against UCLA. The run game was working very well for us in that game too. I love how Beck has shown our ability through the air, but when the run game is working, let's use it. Also, as I've said before, the HB screen is a beautiful thing and is specifically designed for use against blitzing defenses. Plus I hear we got a guy named Burkhead who can juke anybody out of their jocks in the open field.

Why I am pessimistic

Why I am optimistic

UCLA is not a bad team by any means.... I am sure we will see more base defense, but I would expect to see more of Ciante Evans, and Corey Cooper more then the coachers have let on....

Why I am pessimistic

Why I am optimistic

UCLA is not a bad team by any means.... I am sure we will see more base defense, but I would expect to see more of Ciante Evans, and Corey Cooper more then the coachers have let on....

UCLA is not bad in an Indiana type way, but they surrendered 650 yards to Rice ans lost to Oregon State. UCLA will not finish in the top 20. NU should routinely slaughter teams the caliber of UCLA. My opinion is that Wisconsin is better than UCLA.

I am hoping the base defense was coach speak. I cannot imagine returning to a slow defense that is weak against the run and allows tight ends and RBs to run free with LBs chasing a yard behind.

Why I am pessimistic

Why I am optimistic

UCLA is not bad in an Indiana type way, but they surrendered 650 yards to Rice ans lost to Oregon State. UCLA will not finish in the top 20. NU should routinely slaughter teams the caliber of UCLA. My opinion is that Wisconsin is better than UCLA.

I am hoping the base defense was coach speak. I cannot imagine returning to a slow defense that is weak against the run and allows tight ends and RBs to run free with LBs chasing a yard behind.

This isn't the 90's....UCLA's defense wasn't great, but they had athletes, and that UCLA offense was explosive with plenty of weapons. I expect UCLA to be 9-3 or so, and in the top 25 by years end....