*** Official Wisconsin Game Discussion Thread ***

knapplc

Why I am pessimistic

1. UCLA is a bad team and they shredded the NU defense
  2. NU is returning to the base defense (slow LBs and line up 1 yard off the line of scrimmage)
  3. Injuries - it seemed like NU lost a defender every series last week.
  4. Beck doesn't seem to adjust after an opposing DC adjusts.
  5. Beck doesn't adjust when TM is pressured.

Why I am optimistic

1. NU has speed on offense
  2. The NU receivers are physical
  3. Eric Martin may play the more than 1/2 of the defensive snaps
  4. The NU secondary appears to be really good
  5. Wisconsin is not a top 30 team

UCLA is not a bad team by any means.... I am sure we will see more base defense, but I would expect to see more of Ciante Evans, and Corey Cooper more then the coachers have let on....

UCLA is not bad in an Indiana type way, but they surrendered 650 yards to Rice ans lost to Oregon State. UCLA will not finish in the top 20. NU should routinely slaughter teams the caliber of UCLA. My opinion is that Wisconsin is better than UCLA.

I am hoping the base defense was coach speak. I cannot imagine returning to a slow defense that is weak against the run and allows tight ends and RBs to run free with LBs chasing a yard behind.

You're talking like UCLA is a terrible team, still. They've got a stud RB and a pretty dang good Frosh QB (for a frosh) and that one WR just has ridiculous size. I remember my dad kept mentioning during the game that he thought Mora somehow brought him with from his NFL days.

The fact of the matter is, Mora came out with a terrific gameplan for exposing our defensive liabilities (speed to the flat and... gulp... tackling) and it worked to perfection. It totally caught our D off guard and being on the road we just did not adjust well to it. We had one guy who had gotten reps at our 2nd LB spot (Whaley) that should've been taken out, but we had no one else actually prepared to go in and play. Santos and Anderson didn't' know the scheme well enough at that point.

Beck also didn't help at all by going full retard with the offensive game plan, but we basically just got caught off guard when they started gashing our D and didn't know what to do. Personally I find the silver lining... I think it was an AHA! moment for Bo and the defensive staff, realizing they need to get the younger more athletic guys ready to go. We an't just play Whaley all season. There's a reason he was a 2 star recruit.

Cant wait to go tonight I feel this is a must win game for us in my mind i feel if we win tonight we will have a better chance against Ohio State but if we lose tonight i feel that we will have no chance against ohio state

We responded well against Ohio St. after the Wisky loss last year, but I would like our chances better if we won this week....

Why I am pessimistic

2. NU is returning to the base defense (slow LBs and line up 1 yard off the line of scrimmage)

Why I am optimistic

UCLA is not a bad team by any means.... I am sure we will see more base defense, but I would expect to see more of Ciante Evans, and Corey Cooper more then the coachers have let on....

UCLA is not bad in an Indiana type way, but they surrendered 650 yards to Rice ans lost to Oregon State. UCLA will not finish in the top 20. NU should routinely slaughter teams the caliber of UCLA. My opinion is that Wisconsin is better than UCLA.

I am hoping the base defense was coach speak. I cannot imagine returning to a slow defense that is weak against the run and allows tight ends and RBs to run free with LBs chasing a yard behind.

This isn't the 90's....UCLA's defense wasn't great, but they had athletes, and that UCLA offense was explosive with plenty of weapons. I expect UCLA to be 9-3 or so, and in the top 25 by years end....

Rice is 1-3. Any team that lets Rice gain over 600 yards is not good. UCLA also gave up 500 yards to Oregon State and 400 yards to Houston. NU should have been able to score in the 2nd half against UCLA, and that worries me. The opportunity was there, but Beck didn't adjust.

This isn't the 90s, but any top 15 team should beat UCLA like a red-headed step child.

Why I am pessimistic

Why I am optimistic

Mentioned the same thought in another thread ref the return to the 4-3 as our base with Whaley, Compton and Fish. David proved you can be smaller and faster and win the battles. Baron Miles and Terrell Farley back in the day (165 and 205 respectively). Mitchell today at 155 and Super D in 2003 at 215lbs. SPEED KILLS plain and simple. The "smaller" guys might get beat up more, but let's try to force teams to adjust to our speed instead of year 5 of seeing too slow players chasing after plays.

Bring back the damn peso as our base and get the speed and athletes on the field.

Mentioned the same thought in another thread ref the return to the 4-3 as our base with Whaley, Compton and Fish. David proved you can be smaller and faster and win the battles. Baron Miles and Terrell Farley back in the day (165 and 205 respectively). Mitchell today at 155 and Super D in 2003 at 215lbs. SPEED KILLS plain and simple. The "smaller" guys might get beat up more, but let's try to force teams to adjust to our speed instead of year 5 of seeing too slow players chasing after plays.

Bring back the damn peso as our base and get the speed and athletes on the field.

I agree completely. I know major college football is a long way from high school ball. Especially high school ball 35 years ago, but I was on a team that was getting exposed defensively, and the coach switch all 4 linebackers with little fast guys. The LBs were big (relatively) at 170 to 190 lbs, and were replaced with little guys; one only weighed 115 pounds. The coach said it didn't matter if you gave up a few additional yards after contact, because the big guys could not get to contact. Our defense improved dramatically.

Why I am pessimistic

Why I am optimistic

This isn't the 90's....UCLA's defense wasn't great, but they had athletes, and that UCLA offense was explosive with plenty of weapons. I expect UCLA to be 9-3 or so, and in the top 25 by years end....

Rice is 1-3. Any team that lets Rice gain over 600 yards is not good. UCLA also gave up 500 yards to Oregon State and 400 yards to Houston. NU should have been able to score in the 2nd half against UCLA, and that worries me. The opportunity was there, but Beck didn't adjust.

This isn't the 90s, but any top 15 team should beat UCLA like a red-headed step child.

Agree to disagree I guess.... There are very few teams in the country with better athletes then UCLA had, especially of offense....

God help NU if Wiscy throws a completely different gameplan at the Huskers. I have a bad feeling about this game...mostly because like last year's game, it's the 1st one I'm guaranteed to see. Defense better have their sh*t together, as well as the o-line. GBR!!!

God help NU if Wiscy throws a completely different gameplan at the Huskers. I have a bad feeling about this game...mostly because like last year's game, it's the 1st one I'm guaranteed to see. Defense better have their sh*t together, as well as the o-line. GBR!!!

ive been nervous all week....this will be a close game i believe...we will know everything after the first two possessions for both teams.

ive been nervous all week....this will be a close game i believe...we will know everything after the first two possessions for both teams.

Could be...if I was Wiscy...you throw 8 plays at NU that they haven't seen on film. If it works, then you're already in NU's player's and coaches' heads...that could make it a tricky game.

I have beer and Alka-Seltzer ready just in case :) I am nervous but hopeful. I would feel better if Z. Anderson was healthy and Seisay was 100%.