What did we learn??

walksalone

This team doesn't fold under pressure. We could've given up, took our ball and rolled over, and lost by 30+ to an absolutely bad Wisconsin team. Same thing goes for UCLA. But we turned it around and stepped up and won the game.

Offense is dynamic. Defense looks like they have the potential to be good.

@ Ohio State is going to be entertaining.

Black towels look cool.

-That I went into the tank hard for Taylor back in 2010 and I'm glad. He won the game tonight.

-That those uniforms should be burned

-That Nebraska hasn't had a coach since Osborne who could've won that game the way it started.

-That Memorial Stadium can still be electric. Man that's so good.

-That for the long time in awhile, Nebraska played hard nosed, physical, and didn't shrink under the lights. And man it almost killed me.

For me the uniforms were confusing! I like the black helmet but the rest of the uniform just wasn't Nebraska. It was like Nebraska playing with Texas Tech uniforms. But loved seeing our guys just go after Wiscy in the 2nd half. That was just tough, smash mouth football-Nebraska football!

We learned what we probably have suspected for some time now: TMart is good already and getting better, Rex is money, Ameer is really Good, Bell, Enunwa, and Turner are doing very well.

What was new and great to see. Passion. We rarely see a fired up team playing with heart... and we saw that last night. We rarely see half time adjustments that we do better than our opponents and we saw that last night. We saw gang tackling last night and we played more physical than a physical opponent --- again these things are rare (or have been) and we saw that last night.

Also... very impressed with Stephen Osborne --- blocks like a monster. Alonzo Whaley had a great game (good for him). The little guy Mitchell had a fine game --- yes the Aberjaris guy at Wisconsin is a beast and made some plays sure... but he will do that to anyone --- our little CB played tough.

On the "still needs work" side --- fumbles. Also, staring out flat and lifeless.

Overall, this was the most encouraging game in the past 10 or so Husker games... ranks up there with OSU last year as the two times NU played with great heart these past 4 or so years. The reason it was so encouraging was the team showed heart and fight. Way to go Big Red. Do that every week.

2nd half Blackshirt defense was great. Still don't deserve the actual blackshirts. But they played like they should during the 2nd half.

We fumbled too much and we didn't take advantage of taking the ball away from Wisconsin.

Why do you think that the defense doesn't deserve the blackshirts? They played nearly the entire first quarter with how quickly our offense got off the field. And Wisconsin scored 14 points when we handed them the ball in the red-zone twice and another touchdown after the defense got a stop but a stupid roughing the punter. While I do agree that the defense played great in the second half, I don't think they played all too bad in the first half. Hand out the blackshirts this week IMO.

• Fire 1

That our RB's are studs.

Despite most always trashing him, Beck does a pretty good job (how about the QB draws, and we tried a screen).

We do have some talent up front on the DL.

We are very, very good defensively against a one-dimensional team with a stationary QB.

But mostly, I think, Wisconsin is not very good. If we start that way next week, I don't think we get it turned around. Have to come out ready to play.

That we can win every game we have left, but we still are not good enough to take any of them for granted.

Rushes/yards____NU: 46/259__Wisc: 41/56

• That our O-line and D-line can play better than initially thought.

• That our safeties need to not over-react to the play option pass.

• That large WRs give us fits.

• When you fumble 6 times--giving up the ball on the NU 28 and 13 yd line for two TDs--you're not likely to win.

• That, if we can win after fumbling 6 times and spotting a team like the Cheese-tards two TDs, then we can hang with anyone in the B1G.

Tim Beck doesn't fumble.

Tim Beck doesn't run into the punter.

Tim Beck doesn't miss field goals.

Tim Beck doesn't over/underthrow wide open receivers.

Tim Beck changes to the a more pass based offense when they are giving it to us.

I saw a potential Tim Beck melt down thread coming when the team had so many mistakes.

Edit:

I still think the defense looks confused.

I fear too many will buy into this defensive performance.

Basically what I learned after nearly having an aneurysm in the first quarter is that Nebraska is never going to fix all their problems--never. There's not a coach on that staff capable of doing it, and if there was we'd know his name by now. Our players have simply committed to playing X amount of stupid football per game, and that's what they're going to do no matter what kind of practice punishments you install or emphasis you put on it. In fact, I'd stop wasting my time trying altogether. This is Nebraska football: X amount of stupid, Y amount of brilliant, and the prayer that Y is greater than X in a given week.

However, the more important thing I learned, between this and the OSU game last year, is that they fight. The team keeps fighting. I think the key to our success this year goes back to summer predictions: offense. Let the D do their thing, get better or not. Whatever happens, whether we fumble all the time or not, you just have to keep letting your talent loose in an onslaught of mistakes and points. Focus on playing faster, faster, faster, because when I watch opposing Ds in the fourth quarter, it's like watching guys with little thought bubbles that have pictures of oxygen tanks in them. That's how we'll win. I don't see it getting much prettier than that.

Oh, and special teams. The returns help a lot.

I still think the defense looks confused.

I fear too many will buy into this defensive performance.

i think that is a personnel problem. we hare to have the exact right guys out there for each situation. there is not a lot of overlap.

t-mart still has a penchant to regress under pressure (any kind of pressure), but he was able to regain his composure.