Sipple: New AD might encounter rugged terrain

Nexus

I think probably more effort should have been made to make Tom not feel slighted. If that characterization is correct.

However, I don't agree that he should hand-pick his successor. As skersfan mentioned, the last time he hand-picked a successor we ended up with Solich as HC instead of going out and getting someone. He also heavily endorsed Steve Pederson, is that right, for AD?

My read is that Perlman led them to believe they both would have significant input in the process. They didn't, especially Pelini.

This seems like a fairly fiery article. I have to say I'm not surprised the above is coming from Mr. Sipple.

I think probably more effort should have been made to make Tom not feel slighted. If that characterization is correct.

However, I don't agree that he should hand-pick his successor. As skersfan mentioned, the last time he hand-picked a successor we ended up with Solich as HC instead of going out and getting someone. He also heavily endorsed Steve Pederson, is that right, for AD?

My read is that Perlman led them to believe they both would have significant input in the process. They didn't, especially Pelini.

This seems like a fairly fiery article. I have to say I'm not surprised the above is coming from Mr. Sipple.

So if the endorsement of pederson is proof of one's inability to make good decisions then what's it say about the guy who actually hired pederson?

As skersfan mentioned, the last time he hand-picked a successor we ended up with Solich as HC instead of going out and getting someone.

I thought Solich was a good choice... he just needed to figure out recruiting. You act like we were terrible under Solich; not true.

"Just needed to figure out" might be an understatement, really. He put us in a big hole there. In six full seasons, I don't think he came close to figuring it out.

Anyway, I wouldn't say he was terrible at any means. But we could have had any coach in the nation at that point, I think. Adequate and in the family isn't always the best.

I really don't know if there is that much real controversy here. I'm suspicious of these suggestions as they do come from Sipple, whose articles probably best reflect what Bo feels and/or wants out there.

T.O. has had a wonderful lifetime of service to the University. It will never be the same without him, but when we do move on we have to move on and have the Chancellor hire the best guy for the job. Was T.O. really misled and sour about this? Was Bo? Why would the chancellor assure his football coach that he would have significant input in an AD hire? Hard for me to know if these characterizations are really spot on.

The more I read this, the less respect I have for Steven Sipple and the little warpath he went on based on "[his] read into this."

I have to agree on this. Kind of a dissappointing view. And I'm a big Sip fan. I like his sunshine-pumping style. But this was kind of dissappointing read for me. Kind of a stirring-the-turd tone that I wouldnt expect from Sip. Dirk? yes. So it begs to question? Who knows what the hell really is going on.

Still waiting for Seroiusly?'s imput on this. :rolleyes:

Rugged terrain of brand new facilities that he will simply have to do maintenance on during his 5 year contract? Baseball and basketball coaches that most likely wont be touched in 5 years? A stable very good football program? Unrivaled fan support? A new prestigious conference that he has experience and connections in? Increased revenue that will kick in from B1G money during his tenure that he doesn't have to do a thing to receive?

If anything I think he has about a smooth a road as any AD in the country right now.

The more I read this, the less respect I have for Steven Sipple and the little warpath he went on based on "[his] read into this."

Sipple writes for a living. The more he stirs the turds, the better his bosses like it. That is what sells their product, the newspaper. Sipple does what he does what he does to support is standing as a "journalist."

Sipple writes for a living. The more he stirs the turds, the better his bosses like it. That is what sells their product, the newspaper. Sipple does what he does what he does to support is standing as a "journalist."

True, but he does not have a track record for this kind of tone. Kind of concerning in way.

It's not that. It's that I suspect he has an agenda. Sipple is effectively Bo's mouthpiece and he has been, I think, fairly shameless and bald-faced about it at times.

Here we have a stir-the-pot article written with clear intent to cause trouble for Perlman, based on either speculation or maybe some valid inside knowledge. Regardless, understand that it's stirring done to promote the interests of one camp, when *any* issue such as this obvious has numerous sides, supporters and detractors from any end.

My read is that Perlman led them to believe they both would have significant input in the process. They didn't, especially Pelini. And now it's clear that two very powerful men are disgruntled. I'm sure Osborne's legions of fans are just thrilled about that little development. I'm certain at least a few guys who played for Tom will make their feelings known publicly — they're good at that.

:P

The executive search firm helping Perlman had trouble reaching Pelini during the last couple of weeks, Perlman said.

Whatever. I'm told Pelini isn't thrilled. He learned Thursday morning that Eichorst was the choice — not necessarily a big deal until you consider Pelini was told he would be involved.

Pelini is like most of us in that trust is a crucial word in his world. Trust and loyalty. The damage in this case may be irreparable.

I hope not, for Bo's sake.

True, but he does not have a track record for this kind of tone. Kind of concerning in way.

If you believe politicians and journalists, you live in a world of unrelenting paranoia!