Sipple: New AD might encounter rugged terrain

Nexus

I assume that the story about Pelini being angry that he didn't get to put in his two cents is untrue. Eichorst is going to be his boss, why would Pelini have any involvement in the hiring of his boss?

Furthermore, I'm curious as to why anyone thinks that Pelini should have a say in any of this to begin with? What has Pelini done during his time here that would warrant that kind of involvement?

Being a head coach.

Losing 4 games a year and winning nothing of consequence qualifies you to choose your boss?

Seems like there might be some ugly politics involved. I'm so tired of this. I get that there is big money (and big egos) involved, but I just want to enjoy watching a football team that can block and tackle. (If they move around well and are excellent in all areas, all the better!) All the infighting (among fans and staff) since 2003 just sucks. I blame the internet.

I think you can expect any major hiring to cause some hurt feelings, or disappointment, from some of the affected or close parties.

The reason this is an issue now is because Sipple, among others perhaps, are choosing to air it out and milk it for the publicity it's worth. But there is no way you ever make a hire or conduct a search in a way that is satisfactory to everybody.

I believe firmly that the Chancellor alone should have made the call here. It's his AD, and for better or for worse, his hire. The idea that the football coach would have a say is sort of silly. Especially from a chain-of-command standpoint, this makes sense.

I wasn't disputing any of that.

As one that almost always stands by what Bo says or does, this "he shouldve had some say" has no bearing to me whatsoever. I believe Bo at this point does NOT deserve a say in this. If he were on Osborne's shoes about '96,'97ish, then maybe, but at this point, no. HOWEVERRRRR, the point here maybe that Pearlman may have (pure speculation of course) told Bo that he wouldve have a little say. He is the Head Coach of the most powerful program of our department needless to say. If this is the case, and then Bo didnt get a say by any means then I could understand any stemming bitterness, especially following Bo's standup attitude towards taking for word and loyalty. He shouldnt be upset he didnt have a say, but rather that he was told he would and then didnt is understandable. Why would he have been told this to begin with?

I don't get any of this. We hired this guy very quickly. He has 17 months experience and by most accounts, the people at Miami don't think he was very good. Apparently Alvarez loves him, which might make sense if TO (friends with Alvarez) was involved in the hire. But he wasn't. So Perlman had to have a reason to make the hire so quickly. That's a mystery. Maybe he'll turn out to be a great hire, but I don't see anything impressive about his resume that would cause Perlman to end the search so quickly to take him.

Someone please explain.

I voiced the same concerns in a thread yesterday and was reminded that there are a couple of other prestigious openings out currently (Bama for one)..........so maybe that plays into the hurried timing.

Don't forget that Miami is still awaiting their final ruling from the NCAA on their ponzi scheme/athlete bribe issues--issues that Eichorst had no knowledge of and no responsibility in when he walked into that office. That ruling is expected...well...any time now.

If the NCAA brings the hammer down on Miami (deservedly and hopefully so...), Shawn Eichorst may have been trying to get out in front of that news--news that could irrevocably taint anyone still in that AD office when the ruling is handed down.

Not saying this is the only reason, but along with the openings at 'Bama, et al, the combination of things could have forced Harvey's hand, and would explain why the Wonder Chancellor couldn't go into specifics about it.

Fire Perlman. I have nothing against the new guy. But you don't treat Osborne, Pelini and Solich that way. Yes, it's not their decision, but considering Bo has to work with him and what Osborne has done for Nebraska, he could have done it more respectfully. There is a right way to do it, and it was not done the right way (if the facts in the article are right).

Fire Perlman. I have nothing against the new guy. But you don't treat Osborne, Pelini and Solich that way. Yes, it's not their decision, but considering Bo has to work with him and what Osborne has done for Nebraska, he could have done it more respectfully. There is a right way to do it, and it was not done the right way (if the facts in the article are right).

If Perlman asks Bo for his input, he also would need to ask Miles, Cook, Erstad, etc. about their opinions. Football is not the only sport at Nebraska.

I don't get any of this. We hired this guy very quickly. He has 17 months experience and by most accounts, the people at Miami don't think he was very good. Apparently Alvarez loves him, which might make sense if TO (friends with Alvarez) was involved in the hire. But he wasn't. So Perlman had to have a reason to make the hire so quickly. That's a mystery. Maybe he'll turn out to be a great hire, but I don't see anything impressive about his resume that would cause Perlman to end the search so quickly to take him.

Someone please explain.

I voiced the same concerns in a thread yesterday and was reminded that there are a couple of other prestigious openings out currently (Bama for one)..........so maybe that plays into the hurried timing.

Don't forget that Miami is still awaiting their final ruling from the NCAA on their ponzi scheme/athlete bribe issues--issues that Eichorst had no knowledge of and no responsibility in when he walked into that office. That ruling is expected...well...any time now.

If the NCAA brings the hammer down on Miami (deservedly and hopefully so...), Shawn Eichorst may have been trying to get out in front of that news--news that could irrevocably taint anyone still in that AD office when the ruling is handed down.

Not saying this is the only reason, but along with the openings at 'Bama, et al, the combination of things could have forced Harvey's hand, and would explain why the Wonder Chancellor couldn't go into specifics about it.

I understand perfectly the rationale from Eichorst's point of view. My bewilderment is arrived at by our capitulation to the timing. If the UNL job is as attractive as Pearlman says (and I concur that it is), we are in the drivers seat. (except for potential peer competition from Bama, etc).

An interesting side note. If T.O. is upset as is being reported, it appears Pearlman is more excited about Alvarez's blessing than T.O.'s.

Sounds like they made some effort to include Bo, and Tom in the process. However, not to an extent that satisfied either party. At the same time though, I think it's only right that those two, as wonderful as they are, have nothing more than courtesy/tangential input or involvement in this process.

The more I read this, the less respect I have for Steven Sipple and the little warpath he went on based on "[his] read into this."

Sipple writes for a living. The more he stirs the turds, the better his bosses like it. That is what sells their product, the newspaper. Sipple does what he does what he does to support is standing as a "journalist."

The guys who know me on the board understand that I have NEVER claimed to know anything on the inside....and NO, I will not name my source for reasons that would be obvious.... I too am a Sipple fan.....but trust me on this one.... I know for a FACT (first time I can say that in my Husker life) that the only "turd Sip is stirring" is the BIG one Pearlman laid in Dr. Tom's lap. Pearlman just just get the f out of town. Yes, TO retired on his own terms...

Not that the new guy wont be great...but I am telling you....Sip is ALL OVER THIS ONE.

My uncle was a pretty substantial donor at the time of Pedeys' firing. I made the joke that we were'nt messin around, we're cleanin house, starting at the top. His reply was "if they wanna start at the top, they need to start with that _____ Perlman. As long as he's still here, this ____ will just happen again once it's all fixed". This comment is giving me a headache right now.

If Perlman asks Bo for his input, he also would need to ask Miles, Cook, Erstad, etc. about their opinions. Football is not the only sport at Nebraska.

He told them he would.

He didn't.

Even if Tom and Bo were told they'd have a certain level of participation/opinion with the AD hire, should they be THAT bent (so much so, that Sipple thought it was news worthy) if the role they thought they'd have was lessened?

I don't pretend to know the politics within the Dept, but this potential reacion seems a bit over-the-top to me.

Even if Tom and Bo were told they'd have a certain level of participation/opinion with the AD hire, should they be THAT bent (so much so, that Sipple thought it was news worthy) if the role they thought they'd have was lessened?

I don't pretend to know the politics within the Dept, but this potential reacion seems a bit over-the-top to me.

It's just another example of HP's ineptness. He cost the university millions of dollars in 2007 by granting SP and BC raises (with little consultation, and he surprised many). He's also butted heads with TO by stepping past his boundaries. This is just icing on the cake.