"I wish I knew." -Bo Pelini 10/6/12

Yes, we are f'ing Nebraska. And we've created such insatiable expectations that no seasoned, established exceptional coach wants anything to do with us. So what's wrong with these guys learning on the job for a few year while we rattle off some 9 and 10 win seasons. I dont see the issue yet. It's a talent gap right now. This year is lead by his first couple of recruiting classes that were not very good(in comparison to what they need to be). That aspect has gotten better. As far as comments at a post game presser, statements like "I wish I knew" I dont lead into too much. I'll wait for the monday presser when he's had time to view film on what actually happened.

• Fire 3

So sad to see how far standards have fallen over the past 15 years or so. We want to settle for unestablished coaches just to save $$. Why? We need an ESTABLISHED core of coaches who know how to recruit. I like Bo, but this is Year Five, and I continue to see the same mistakes year after year with so signs of improvent. Our recruiting classes barely crack the Top 25 yet we get upset when our team barely cracks the Top 25. People say our recruiting classes have improved the past couple of years, but I disagree. We barely cracked the Top 25, and many of the top recruits left for one reason or another.

Yes, we are f'ing Nebraska. And we've created such insatiable expectations that no seasoned, established exceptional coach wants anything to do with us. So what's wrong with these guys learning on the job for a few year while we rattle off some 9 and 10 win seasons. I dont see the issue yet. It's a talent gap right now. This year is lead by his first couple of recruiting classes that were not very good(in comparison to what they need to be). That aspect has gotten better. As far as comments at a post game presser, statements like "I wish I knew" I dont lead into too much. I'll wait for the monday presser when he's had time to view film on what actually happened.

That is BS, in my opinion. LSU and Bama and other top-tier teams have the same expecatations (if not higher) and any coach would jump at the chance to coach at those schools. We have to stop making excuses for our shortcomings. Money talks.

• Fire 1

That is BS, in my opinion. LSU and Bama and other top-tier teams have the same expecatations (if not higher) and any coach would jump at the chance to coach at those schools. We have to stop making excuses for our shortcomings. Money talks.

The lim-fac IMO is finding a good coach who won't come in and change the entire culture of the program. Callahan tried it and look how that turned out for him.

The lim-fac IMO is finding a good coach who won't come in and change the entire culture of the program. Callahan tried it and look how that turned out for him.

Yeah, but just because it failed with Callahan doesn't mean that we shouldn't try it again. Callahan wasn't an established college coach. We need an established coach and proven recruiter. We can't roll the dice on another unestablished commodity.

Then why couldnt we get one 10 frickin years ago, when the brand was still there. heh? huh? How many coaches, ones that are great by now, had no interest. Hell Urban Meyer was one of them, but to go to a team that fired a 9 win coach, well, that concept was laughable to him. literally, he laughed.

IF there is a hard reality to face. IF the game last night is a harbinger of bad tidings yet to come this season and beyond, the final decision on Bo, sadly to say, will vindicate Steve Peterson, at least somewhat. There have been a variety of topics in regard to the Frank Solich situation with a lot of people, including myself, saying that the man should have had more time. What is not in dispute is that Frank should not have been fired without there being a clear plan to move forward. Steve fired Frank, sought a man with head coaching experience and SWAG and came up with zip. He ended up with Bill Callahan. And that failed. But Peterson passed on Bo because he wanted experience. He thought that was important and he was probably right. Tom swept in, booted Bill out the door, which had to be done, and brought in Bo, who still lacked experience in terms of heading up a program. Bo has been learning on the job and doing fairly well at it, but he's facing major road blocks to success. He always has to learn things the hard way. Now, Tom's deal was a bit different than what Steve had. I believe, and maybe I am wrong, that Tom had the SWAG and the national perception to net us an experienced coach with a proven track record, but Tom didn't seem like he wanted to make a grand initial investment, which took, a bunch of names out of the mix fast. He was left with Bo, a coordinator who wanted to be a head coach, lacked experience, but was willing to be paid less. Bo came in without much confidence, accepted coaches from a failed staff and watched as we failed on the offensive side in years one, two and three. Recruiting failed early and still continues to struggle. Bo doesn't appear to be a good recruiter. And then Carl left to begin his head coaching career where most coaches begin, at a directional school, unlike where Pelini started, a BCS program. Bo had his moments where he has had to make moves on the coaching staff. He should have replaced the coordinators from outside the program, but he could have been hamstrung by the facts that, A. No one wants to work in his shadow on the defensive side, and B. No offensive coordinator feels as though they could run their plan sans traditional option because Tom is here and they don't perceive Bo as a strong leader that would keep Tom's influences at bay. What's next? It's hard to tell. If we relieve Bo of his duties this year or next year or the year after that, we will all get a front row seat to the play entitled, "Does Nebraska have the ability to attract a big name coach?" We can all hope the answer to that question is... yes.