B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Note: This is all rumor, and I want to know if anyone has heard anything similar or read anything that substantiates what I've heard.

---

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in Rumorville, but I've been hearing that the Big Ten is looking at two or four schools for expansion, currently from the SEC, ACC, and/or Big East, and that the catalyst for all of this change is the current Big East TV deal being up this year.

---

The scuttlebutt is that if the Big East puts their contract out for bid instead of re-upping with ESPN (like the majority of Big East schools want), that some of the Big East schools may defect to the ACC (to pump them up to 12, 14, or 16, depending) or Big 10. Schools that are supposedly looking around include, but aren't limited to, Maryland, Rutgers, Pitt, Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Missouri

The idea behind all this is that the time for Big East schools to leave is when the TV deal is out for bid, and the ACC would like to add two schools to secure their football and basketball futures...and possibly fill vacancies.

I say vacancies, because there are certain football-centric schools in the ACC that still hate their latest TV deal and are worried about being out-recruited in Florida by the whole of the SEC. This is because the SEC, to a school, earning upwards of $10 million/year more than FSU (or Miami). If you recall, this was FSU's primary concern and reason for looking for a new home (the Big XII-II), and Miami, Clemson, and Georgia Tech share similar concerns, even though they're not as vocal about it.

Short of these unhappy ACC schools joining the SEC (won't ever happen), the next best conference for them to join is the B1G, hands down, and this plays into Delaney's cryptic comments pre-Nebraska announcement of watching population trends and needing more southern exposure.

---

As for Big East schools, Rutgers was a rumored target before (mainly because the BTN still doesn't have a presence in the NE, and this move may give them that), and Pitt was almost as bad as Missouri insofar as being the spaz at the back of the class jumping up and down asking to be picked.

---

And Missouri...well...supposedly the pro-SEC boosters are finally seeing the err of their way and are still more than receptive to a B1G invite. I grant this one is a stretch, as Missouri just got done paying their Big XII-II penalty, and they'll incur another $25 million penalty to leave the SEC...that, in addition to having money withheld to buy into the BTN investment (just like we are currently), and their program may be more broke than Colorado's, but with a bigger upside down the road, of course. :)

---

I guess some of this comes from Barry's latest comments about super-conferences and that these conferences should break from the NCAA and become their own tier of football? There's been some play in the media about this, and it makes me think that if the SEC, Pac-12 (that wanted to go to 14 or 16), B1G, Big XII-II, and ACC load up, this could very well happen.

So, if you have any thoughts or have anything to collaborate what I'm hearing, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I've heard the Big Ten isn't looking to expand until their own contract is up, thus maximizing their next tv contract.

They aren't looking to land small fish.

Texas, Oklahoma, Rutgers, Carolina, UVA, Maryland and GIT would all be possibilities in the expansion process. Maybe Kansas as well.

Mizzou will be like a spurned lover. They don't want anything to do with us. They'd look pathetic coming back to the Big Ten after leaving for the SEC.

I'd be SHOCKED if Rutgers didn't end up in the g Ten. The others might be long shots but Delaney isn't trying to just get to 16. They want to make a splash. I'm sure as a UNC alum he is trying to talk to some peeps. UNC is the Big Fish of the south that the SEC covets like no other.

As much as I hate Texas, I would love to have them in the B1G. Yes, I said it, and hear me out:

1) The B1G would never allow Texas to throw their weight around and become the dictator. I love that this conference lets everybody have an equal say, whether it is Ohio State, or Indiana. I have no doubt they would treat Texas the same way.

2) They would bring a lot of money to the conference. Texas' revenue from sports is pretty ridiculous.

3) Adding Texas would once again strengthen Nebraska's recruiting ties to Texas. There has been very little effect so far in this respect, but I would hate for it to fade over time. Adding them would ensure that doesn't happen.

4) Texas would add another respectable football school to the conference, and looking at how weak the B1G has been recently, that will be welcomed. With Texas and one more respectable football powerhouse, our conference would have strength similar to the SEC. I truly believe that.

5) Texas also brings a perennially good basketball and baseball team. Basketball is already really strong in the B1G, and Texas would fit right in there.

Their strength in baseball would be a breath of fresh air also. Right now, Nebraska is the only B1G school that takes baseball seriously, and I would love to renew the baseball rivalry with Texas and bring respectability to baseball in the B1G.

6) More TV sets, more marketing, recruiting exposure, more money. You get the picture.

7) This one is for Nebraska football exclusively: We have a horrible track record against Texas in football. IIRC, we are like 1-8 all-time against them. I would love to play them every year and make an attempt at pimp-slapping them. This one might backfire if our misfortune continues, but I want a shot so the Whorns can't always hang their record against us over our heads.

My top picks:

1. Oklahoma

2. Texas

3. I have no opinion. Maybe Okie State, K-State?

i heard we are merging with the MAC

I'm also getting chatter from my sources saying much the same thing.

It'll be great to finally settle the debate as to who has the best football conference in the Great Lakes/Midwest.

Agreed. It's been keeping me up at night. Then again, if the MAC and Big 10 merged this year, Ohio may run away with it all. :)

---

On the topic I posted, a friend of a friend (isn't it always?) sent me this link to a Shaggy Bevo thread, of all things, where these ideas may have came from...

...aparently the source of all this is a West Virginia fan that broke their school's realignment to the Big XII before everyone else (supposedly). The fan's twitter feed, MHver3, had the following information:

MHver3: News has been slow lately but big things are brewing. I'm gonna update my expansion alert level from yellow to orange. Big Ten eyeing 4

MHver3: BigEast decision on staying with espn or seeking greener pastures could very well start the festivities.

MHver3: The B10 will make waves. Not a splash. 4 separate states south of the mason Dixon.

MHver3: Sources saying their is mutual interest among the four schools who have been contacted via back channels.

So...um...well...there's this, I suppose. Four schools south of the Mason-Dixon line? I wouldn't expect four, since the BTN wants to expand to the Northeast, but I could see three--Ga. Tech, FSU, and Clemson, with Rutgers or Boston College getting the fourth spot.

I remember at one Texas was going to go to the B1G back in the 1990's.

Anyway, yes to Texas if they are not allowed to run the show.

Oklahoma would also be good.

I heard that Maryland, Virgina, and North Carolina might be a possibility as well.

Missouri might be able to get out the 25 million if the SEC could get a Clemson, Gergia Tech, or Florida State, which they would rather have.

The next major conference to get raided will be the ACC. Again, this is all in several years, and hopefully wont happen soon.

Mizzou is welcome to leave the SEC without a penalty....as I understand it, there is no exit fee. I doubt they'll bail after a single season...they've been through the worst of the SEC. They'll get their licks in.

No, there's an exit fee--I want to say it was recently upped (after having aTm and Missouri join) to $25 million, but it may only be $20 million.

Still, though, Missouri just got done paying their exit fee to the Big XII. Turning around and paying another fee would really set their AD back a few years fiscally...

Mizzou is welcome to leave the SEC without a penalty....as I understand it, there is no exit fee. I doubt they'll bail after a single season...they've been through the worst of the SEC. They'll get their licks in.

No, there's an exit fee--I want to say it was recently upped (after having aTm and Missouri join) to $25 million, but it may only be $20 million.

Still, though, Missouri just got done paying their exit fee to the Big XII. Turning around and paying another fee would really set their AD back a few years fiscally...

I really don't think the SEC has a fee, but I've googled all over the interwebs and I can't find proof one way or another. Regardless, 1 bad year doesn't mean a team is going to leave. With the increased exposure and money of the SEC, Mizzou can recover.

I really don't think the SEC has a fee, but I've googled all over the interwebs and I can't find proof one way or another. Regardless, 1 bad year doesn't mean a team is going to leave. With the increased exposure and money of the SEC, Mizzou can recover.

Yeah, they can take their money and be the doormat of the SEC for the foreseeable future. I'm okay with that... :dunno

Thanks. I was thinking of the ACC, I guess.

I could have sworn there was something that took place right after Missouri and aTm got voted in where there were exit fees or penalties, though...

So, I guess Missouri is in play if the B1G is interested, and we know that Missouri was hot on the B1G before...