Absolutely wrong approach

True2tRA

Assistant coach Terry Joseph was asked about the Blackshirts and forcing turnovers. Once again, this staff has said something I absolutely disagree with. Not only do I not agree with what is said, but I don't like how this staff has really gone heavy on blaming this team and the players for all the troubles lately.

The article is here....http://sports.omaha.com/2012/10/19/joseph-says-blackshirts-need-more-turnovers/

but the part that particularly stood out to me is this comment about forcing turnovers.

“We still need to get more takeaways,” Joseph said at the Big Red Breakfast. “And takeaways come down to two key components – effort and toughness. Because not only do you have to get to the ball, but you got to have a bad attitude when you get there, because that’s going to get the ball out.”

Takeaways come down to effort and toughness? Really? I mean, I thought effort and toughness were a requirement to be playing football at this level? If I was to say what creates more takeaways, I would say "creating pressure" and being in the "right place at the right time". You can give all the effort you want, or be the toughest mother fu&*#r on the block, but if your not where the ball is, you aren't gonna get that f'ing ball. We don't even coach our DB's to look for the ball. And when's the last time you saw a Nebraska player attempt to rip a ball out. How often are we trailing behind opposing players as the run by us? To force fumbles, you've got to be in the gap, and meet the player there with force. To force mistakes by a QB, you have to apply pressure, force bad decisions, and look for the ball when it's in the air. The safeties have to play aggressively, instead of playing in a "scared" two WAYYYYY deep coverage. It just doesn't seem like the type of defense we are playing is aggressive enough to be creating turnovers. I think we have plenty of tough players, giving lot's of effort. They are not being put in a position to be playmakers.

I think we're just picking apart words for no reason here.

Actually re: looking for the ball, I read a good breakdown on the ESPNBoston blog - this was an issue with New England DBs recently, and one of the coaches, I think Belichick, talked about the technique there. It's not as easy as just asking a guy to turn and look for the ball because often times you do that, the receiver pulls a double move and he just loses you. When you're a corner running far downfield with little help, letting your guy get way open is not an option.

So while you want to make a play on the ball if you can and you know it's coming, that's good...but it's not often you are in that position.

I think takeaways are about effort and toughness. It's mentality.

Again True, I think you're overanalyzing word for word what coaches are saying when they are speaking on a whim. He was speaking to a crowd of booster and fans, so I'm a lot of it is coachspeak anyway. Trust me on this little nugget. It's never as bad as it seems, but it's never as good as it seems either. This is the Nebraska football now. But I feel your pain. I'm just as desperate as you to feel the pride of greatness we were feeling 15 years ago, but it's not worth stressing over little words like this.

Seems to be a reoccurring theme ref the "toughness" of our DB's. We gave up 63 points to OSU and almost 700 yrds to UCLA. I would have to agree we lack toughness. I would have to agree we lack toughness. Maybe getting called out in will make them pi$$ed. Bo wants them angry. Hearing I lack "toughness" would make we want to beat someones a$$ come Sat.

Have to add that the swagger folks say we lack constantly comes from being a bad a$$ ie toughness. You don't see a D described as soft or lacking as having swagger. If these comments offend the kids, well there you go. Toughness as in mental fortitude as in playing mean and angry.

“Just be honest,” Raymond said. “Look at them, look at us. It’s pretty obvious.” What did Raymond mean? He didn’t spell it out, but he made veiled criticisms of Nebraska’s personnel. For instance, what did he take from this game going into the offseason?

“Hopefully it helps recruiting. Get athletes.”

Was he encouraged by how NU matched up man-for-man? “Not necessarily.”

Raymond went on to compare the mentality of Southern players versus Nebraska’s players. His guys needed to learn how to punch back once they got “hit in the mouth.”

“You can’t live on what other guys have done in the past around here,” Raymond said. “You have to live on yourself…We’re not Prince. We’re not Eric Hagg. We’re not those guys. We have to do much different things. We have to work harder. We’re not the same athletes as those guys.”

There probably worrying about where there supposed to be, what they are supposed to be doing rather just going to the ball. We look for excuses, reasons why this defense is poor, it seems the coaches are to.

If they are not tough, not really into the physical side, we (this staff recruited them) need to look at how we evaluate the kids we take.

Thank God tomorrow we have a game, I am tired about hearing how hard they work, how much better they are, how much the coaches have changed things. Do it on the field and shut the (intercourse) up.