What I've decided after this game

1. This team is, actually, extremely talented. This team could have beaten Ohio State. I believe it. The talent is there.

2. This team is an emotional team, and they live and die by passion. When there's a dark cloud, it pours, and nobody functions right. When it's sunny, people look like angels.

3. (by way of 1 and 2) The players on this team are not disciplined. And I put this one on the coaches. The kids are talented, and I saw them actually come alive and 'want' this game - which I wanted to see. But I officially move my take on this team to not being sure about coaches vs players being more to 'blame', to shifting towards the coaches. I think these kids want to win, I think they have heart, and I think they have talent.

3a. This includes controversial TMart - I think if he was better utilized (as in, a passing and running game built round him rather than some other system), the offense would be closer to unstoppable. Actually using him in 'the run game' in a direct fashion this week was nice to see. But where was that all year long? I've been dying for it. He's talented. And the play-action off of the QB-lead / counter play was what lead to one talent. (I was close to changing my stance on Tmart last game, but, at least I know he really has the heart of a champion inside him). It pains me to say that I don't think he's been adequately developed over the last 3 years. And my respect for him has actually grown, considering the effort he put in on the offseason.

4. This team will not be dominant until someone can teach them how to dominate. I think especially in this college setting, there is a critical leadership/attitude role that does come top down. But these kids are not taught how to dominate, how to impose, how to lord over opponents. They don't have the killer instinct, the don't have the "I'm going to come out and beat you down" attitude. They, IMO, have the talent (Rex is out and we still had an awesome run game). But they don't have the leadership. The leadership isn't there. And to go back to Tmart, I don't think anyone's taught him or helped him how to lead, which I suppose furthers my 3a sentiments.

So what does this lead to? I don't know what coaching changes need to happen.

I could draw a line to Bo Pelini and say that the "temperamental"ness of the team / offense trickles down from him. (But his defense played well today, so, maybe that's not fair). Still, I had an observation... Bo out there in his hoodie.... I'll make a comparison to coaches I've ((removed - don't like much)), but respect for their success - Jim Tressell (sp?), That USC coach who I'm glad I can't remember his name now, Pete Carol, and even Joe Pa. They had a certain poised-ness, and I won't just say 'not wearing hoodies'. And I think that relates to the team, or, at least what I'm feeling here.

I would like to cite Dr Tom, but, I confess I wasn't around to see him on the sidelines - I'd have to watch more film on him, or how he handled different situations. However, from the various interviews I've seen from the last 5+ years since I've started seriously following the CORNHUSKERS, I will say he had what I'm talking about - the poised, almost professional, killer instinct. From what I can tell, TO was about being prepared and excellence, execution, etc. That's where championship dominance comes form - the attitude that is interdependent with being prepared - fire, not just flash. Channeled fire, that can forge un-breakable spirit, and the will to dominate.

That's what this team doesn't have -- at the very least, it's completely absent on offense. It seems to show up at times on defense. But as a whole "attitude" - I believe the kind that led to past respect for Nebraska - isn't there.

I want to see that.

But, I don't know where its going to come from. Someone needs to teach this team how to do that, and I think if they did we'd have a much different feeling about the season. Until that is returned, and until there is a solid identity on offense (especially), and the tradition of Blackshirts are upheld, Nebraska will remain ... as they were today, playing relatively undisciplined and disorganized for most of the game, except when there are favorable emotional circumstances.

PS: You know what, I give even MORE credit to Tmart right now, because I am remembering him make that 3rd and 10 completion (to Long)? that lead to the scoring drive. That comes from having, inside him, the never-quit-always-win attitude I'm talking about above. It's just not developed, and spread around and embodied by the offense. (I wrote a few weeks ago about how Tmart was a leader). Might there be more talented or better QBs to come for NEB? Yes.

PPS: When I was kind of a noob, new to football, why I liked Nebraska was because the exuded (to me) what I was talking about above - the sort of "wholesome" values of hard work, discipline, heartland heroes, etc. In the Deed the Glory. That attitude. I have listened to the clip of Grant Winstrom saying "DAY BY DAY , WE GET BETTER AND BETTER..." probably almost 1000 times (I burned it to one of my first burnable CDs ever years ago, and I still have it) - and that was, and will always be for me, the legend of Nebraska. The legacy, the glory, the 'tradition'.

That's the attitude I want to see - it's what I even want to develop in my own life. And it's why it's so painful to see the team play this way, without it. Like I said to a friend, seeing this makes me want to work even harder to get better, because I hate seeing situations like this - in my life, or in anything I love.

anyway....... I don't know where to go with this.

but, to me, this is a very clear lacking of 'intangibles' and especially leadership. I think it could happen under Pelini, but, I don't think he knows yet how to 'lead a whole team'. He knows his defense, and he can get them to do well. But where is the whole-team leader? Someone or something needs to be that, and more or less 'be the example' - I believe that is why TO is so legendary, because he took on the mantle of Leader for the Whole Team.

I want to see that again.

what i've learned after reading this thread, dude put the pipe down..................we can only wish we were kstate right now................Pelini sucks, his staff has to go

Pelini made mincemeat of that staff, twice. And no I dont wish we were Kansas St. Be real. What's going on down there is solely the result of a great coach. I wouldnt mind having him. After he retires again in a couple years, the purple will be right back in the toilet where they belong.

PS: You know what, I give even MORE credit to Tmart right now, because I am remembering him make that 3rd and 10 completion (to Long)? that lead to the scoring drive. That comes from having, inside him, the never-quit-always-win attitude I'm talking about above. It's just not developed, and spread around and embodied by the offense. (I wrote a few weeks ago about how Tmart was a leader). Might there be more talented or better QBs to come for NEB? Yes.

PPS: When I was kind of a noob, new to football, why I liked Nebraska was because the exuded (to me) what I was talking about above - the sort of "wholesome" values of hard work, discipline, heartland heroes, etc. In the Deed the Glory. That attitude. I have listened to the clip of Grant Winstrom saying "DAY BY DAY , WE GET BETTER AND BETTER..." probably almost 1000 times (I burned it to one of my first burnable CDs ever years ago, and I still have it) - and that was, and will always be for me, the legend of Nebraska. The legacy, the glory, the 'tradition'.

That's the attitude I want to see - it's what I even want to develop in my own life. And it's why it's so painful to see the team play this way, without it. Like I said to a friend, seeing this makes me want to work even harder to get better, because I hate seeing situations like this - in my life, or in anything I love.

but, to me, this is a very clear lacking of 'intangibles' and especially leadership. I think it could happen under Pelini, but, I don't think he knows yet how to 'lead a whole team'. He knows his defense, and he can get them to do well. But where is the whole-team leader? Someone or something needs to be that, and more or less 'be the example' - I believe that is why TO is so legendary, because he took on the mantle of Leader for the Whole Team.

There are a few people I can compare Tom to that are currently coaching when you look at demeanor: Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly(he is the most like him), Les Miles. If you looked at Tom on the sidelines, you couldn't tell it the team was up by 50 or down by 20(I never remember losing by more than 25(Ga Tech was the worst in my opinion in the bowl game). The talent level is very high on offense, not so much on D. We are nothing talent wise compared to most of the 80's and all of the 90's.(although we got killed in the bowl games and never seemed to beat OK in the big game) We had the best lineman in all of those years. I would call us lineman U before running back U.... Of course we had great RB's too....

Brian Kelly is the most like him. Tom was all about self improvement, not concentrating on your opponent, only on playing your best football every play. He is a master motivator but was known as a micromanager. Once he let go of the reins on offensive play calling(to the genius, Solich) and moved athletes from offense to defense(got more speed and athleticism on D), we started that huge run. Tom knew we had all of the talent at that point, though. He knew to get out of his own way. We aren't close to that yet but it is obvious that Bo has adopted Tom's philosophy of tough practice, running the ball and controlling the line of scrimage.

There are a few people I can compare Tom to that are currently coaching when you look at demeanor: Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly(he is the most like him), Les Miles. If you looked at Tom on the sidelines, you couldn't tell it the team was up by 50 or down by 20(I never remember losing by more than 25(Ga Tech was the worst in my opinion in the bowl game). The talent level is very high on offense, not so much on D. We are nothing talent wise compared to most of the 80's and all of the 90's.(although we got killed in the bowl games and never seemed to beat OK in the big game) We had the best lineman in all of those years. I would call us lineman U before running back U.... Of course we had great RB's too....

Brian Kelly is the most like him. Tom was all about self improvement, not concentrating on your opponent, only on playing your best football every play. He is a master motivator but was known as a micromanager. Once he let go of the reins on offensive play calling(to the genius, Solich) and moved athletes from offense to defense(got more speed and athleticism on D), we started that huge run. Tom knew we had all of the talent at that point, though. He knew to get out of his own way. We aren't close to that yet but it is obvious that Bo has adopted Tom's philosophy of tough practice, running the ball and controlling the line of scrimage.

What I meant by not concentrating on the opponent was "the player worked on "their game"... Of corse they prepared for the opponent. He just tried to not make it "personal" toward the opponent. It is bad pyschology to worry about the other guy. Play YOUR best game and concentrate solely on that. Never be out of position, etc....

What I've decided is this! If the rest of the team consistently played like they want to win as much as Taylor Martinez, then we would never lose a game!

This is true...............the kid doesn't give up and keeps pushing and pushing. Now sometimes that causes him to make mistakes, but I'd much rather have him push and have some success then give up and have zero success.

2. This team is an emotional team, and they live and die by passion. When there's a dark cloud, it pours, and nobody functions right. When it's sunny, people look like angels.

The comebacks today and vs. against Wisconsin would say this is far from correct.

If you say so. To me, they actually are why I said it. Comebacks are great, but, if we played more sound football throughout the course of the game, they would have been 2+ score wins. To beat the best teams, you have to play lights out for 60 minutes (like Bo says often, it's a 60 minute game...).

With all the talent and potential I see on our team, the lack of consistent execution and being able to impose its well from the get go - confidence in identity, execution, etc - that's what I see as the missing piece. It's there when it's emotionally ready, and if there's a spark (like the comebacks) it can be powerful. But I don't think NEB should simply rely on brief periods of emotional vibrance. I know this is college football and momentum is why we love it, but, there has to be more than that.

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into all that.

We aren't close to that yet but it is obvious that Bo has adopted Tom's philosophy of tough practice, running the ball and controlling the line of scrimage.

Is that the case? I thought I heard the practices weren't so tough lately?

I think this last 2 weeks they were, more toughness - and I'd say it showed vs NWstern. But I didn't know if that was the norm or just a recent adjustment