Question About The Fumbled Punt We Recovered.

epocSoN

On the punt that Northwestern fumbled and we recovered, they through a flag on Damien Stafford for a personal foul.

It appeared to me that the flag came after we recovered the fumble. So why shouldn't we have gotten the ball 1st and ten but pushed back 15 yards?

The TV coverage did a bad job showing what exactly happened so perhaps somebody has a better understanding of exactly what happened?

The replay I seen was of Stafford basically retaliating for something (I think he was being blocked pretty good and didn't like it). It was a pretty stupid play on Staffords part.

Not sure about the penalty call. I can't remember if the flag was thrown before the whistle was blown (which, if that's the case, may be why we had to re-punt) or if it was after.

Let's count the miscues:

-2 muffed punts

-1 horrible fumble

-a stupid penalty on the NW muffed punt that we recovered

-a stupid and iffy penalty on a 3rd-and-long that we converted but got called back

-a 16 yard punt that Maher shanked

-AT LEAST 4 easy INTs that we did not catch

With all of that, I'd say that was one of the worst played wins of all time.

I thought it was a bullsh#t call, either way you slice it. Officiating was onrey today. If the hit legitimately happened during the play, then it's bs. It's football. The NW player tried to give Stafford the work, and Damion knocked him on his ass. If it happened after the play, then yes, it shoulda been our ball, then the 15 yards. Here's another one though. What about the one on Northwestern final TD drive where they picked up 9 yards on a 3rd down, and they called a defensive holding on us. They tacked the penalty on to the end of the run. Sharp and Davison were flabbergasted. Isnt it either get the play or get the penalty? They turned a 9 yard gain into 24, and pretty much allowed for that last TD.

• Fire 2

Stafford pushed a guy to the ground (from behind-- a clip) 20 yards away from where the punt was being recovered.

I didn't check to see whether it was before or after the punt was fallen on, but still a very stupid play by Staff. Why do we have to have one of these boneheaded errors that gives away a possession (SJB roughing the punter, Staff's today) every week?

Dang.

Stafford pushed a guy to the ground (from behind-- a clip) 20 yards away from where the punt was being recovered.

I didn't check to see whether it was before or after the punt was fallen on, but still a very stupid play by Staff. Why do we have to have one of these boneheaded errors that gives away a possession (SJB roughing the punter, Staff's today) every week?

Dang.

It was not a clip. Stafford was the defender on the play. We were punting.

Dang.

Touche. I automatically think of any shove to the back as a clip. You're right.

Dang.

I thought the call was BS, but there's still no reason for it.

Dang.

Honestly, I thought it was a legit call (the flag...not having to repunt it). Stafford was clearly retaliating for something and IIRC, it was after NU recovered the punt and the play was basically called dead. I'm trying to find video or even mention of it in an article, but the flag was warranted IMO.

Here's another one though. What about the one on Northwestern final TD drive where they picked up 9 yards on a 3rd down, and they called a defensive holding on us. They tacked the penalty on to the end of the run. Sharp and Davison were flabbergasted. Isnt it either get the play or get the penalty? They turned a 9 yard gain into 24, and pretty much allowed for that last TD.

The only thing I can think of here is if it was enough for it to technically be a personal foul, which would be applied to the end of the play?

I thought the officials had a poor game. On the 4th down we went for, we lined up and snapped the ball. They came running in and stopped the play and reset the clock, but never explained why? This allowed Northwestern to see the formation we wanted to run, get set and make adjustments. We probably wouldn't of gotten it anyway, but it's something little that pisses me of off.

Another thing that happened was when we stopped Northwestern on 3rd down about 2 feet short of the first down. For some reason the officials came on to measure, even though it was obvious that it was nowhere near a first down. The extra time for measurement pretty much gave Northwestern a free timeout, and time to decide if they wanted to go for it, rather than being hurried to make a decision of going for it or not.

It's just annoying.

• Fire 1

Dang.

Honestly, I thought it was a legit call (the flag...not having to repunt it). Stafford was clearly retaliating for something and IIRC, it was after NU recovered the punt and the play was basically called dead. I'm trying to find video or even mention of it in an article, but the flag was warranted IMO.

My only question is if the flag came before or after we recovered the punt. I didn't see what happened with Stafford but it seemed to be a late flag.