Question About The Fumbled Punt We Recovered.

epocSoN

Here's another one though. What about the one on Northwestern final TD drive where they picked up 9 yards on a 3rd down, and they called a defensive holding on us. They tacked the penalty on to the end of the run. Sharp and Davison were flabbergasted. Isnt it either get the play or get the penalty? They turned a 9 yard gain into 24, and pretty much allowed for that last TD.

The only thing I can think of here is if it was enough for it to technically be a personal foul, which would be applied to the end of the play?

I thought the officials had a poor game. On the 4th down we went for, we lined up and snapped the ball. They came running in and stopped the play and reset the clock, but never explained why? This allowed Northwestern to see the formation we wanted to run, get set and make adjustments. We probably wouldn't of gotten it anyway, but it's something little that pisses me of off.

Another thing that happened was when we stopped Northwestern on 3rd down about 2 feet short of the first down. For some reason the officials came on to measure, even though it was obvious that it was nowhere near a first down. The extra time for measurement pretty much gave Northwestern a free timeout, and time to decide if they wanted to go for it, rather than being hurried to make a decision of going for it or not.

It's just annoying.

It's annoying BECAUSE we're always putting ourselves in positions where the refs calls can lose the game for us. That bugs the hell out of me.

But you're right. I want me some zebra blood most Saturdays.

On this particular play, the NW coach asked for the measurement even though everyone could see it was short. It is legal for a coach to ask for a measurement. One thing I saw that made me wonder was the defensive players for NW who were "injured" then walk off the field on those last two drives. If I remember, NW did that last year trying to have more time to call a defensive play.

I talked to a friend this morning who recorded the game and said when Stafford left the line of scrimmage after the snap, the NW player grabbed his facemask.Unfortunately Stafford decided to retaliate and that is what the ref saw.

The Refs assesed that one correctly it was during the play therefore no change of posseison had occured.

I was pretty sure that the change of possesion is right after the ball leaves the foot of the punter. I thought it was a bad call as far as us repunting the ball, but Stafford did something dumb, aggresive but dumb.

yes, which is why when a team blocks in the back on punt returns it doesn't give the punting team a first down.

This game had more ticky tack and downright questionable calls than any game I can remember. It was also frustrating how many of the penalties really seemed to hurt Nebraska right when we thought we had something great. The muffed punt we recovered was an absolute crap call, and the third and long we converted just to have called back, then they added more yards against us....it was just ugly.

The Refs assesed that one correctly it was during the play therefore no change of posseison had occured.

I was pretty sure that the change of possesion is right after the ball leaves the foot of the punter. I thought it was a bad call as far as us repunting the ball, but Stafford did something dumb, aggresive but dumb.

yes, which is why when a team blocks in the back on punt returns it doesn't give the punting team a first down.

Nope

In Possession

ARTICLE 1. “In possession’’ is an abbreviation meaning the holding or controlling of a live ball or a ball to be free-kicked. It may refer either to player possession or team possession.

a. A player “gains possession’’ when he secures the ball firmly by holding or controlling it while contacting the ground inbounds. The ball is then in player possession.

b. A team has team possession:

1. When one of its players is in possession, including when he is attempting a punt, drop kick or place kick;

2. While a forward pass thrown by one of its players is in flight; or

3. During a loose ball if one of its players was last in possession.

Possession doesn't change until a player on the receiving team gains control.

We shouldn't allow ourselves to be in a position where 1 or 2 somewhat imperfect calls have the chance to decide whether we or lose. This was Northwestern and through no fault but our own stupid penalties, turnovers, and long periods of playing uninspired football we came very close to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. The refs are the last people I would look to blame especially because the worst call of the day went in our favor and kept NW from scoring two points on the safety. Thank God they weren't perfect or we likely would've lost.

• Fire 1

The non-call on the would-be intentional grounding safety was correct. They mentioned Cotton in the explanation but it was the other TE (Sutton I think) who was very close to where the pass landed. Although the playcall didn't call for him to go out for a pass, he was eligible (end of the line, not covered up by WR) and therefore it was the correct call.