Question About The Fumbled Punt We Recovered.

epocSoN

Here's another one though. What about the one on Northwestern final TD drive where they picked up 9 yards on a 3rd down, and they called a defensive holding on us. They tacked the penalty on to the end of the run. Sharp and Davison were flabbergasted. Isnt it either get the play or get the penalty? They turned a 9 yard gain into 24, and pretty much allowed for that last TD.

The only thing I can think of here is if it was enough for it to technically be a personal foul, which would be applied to the end of the play?

I thought the officials had a poor game. On the 4th down we went for, we lined up and snapped the ball. They came running in and stopped the play and reset the clock, but never explained why? This allowed Northwestern to see the formation we wanted to run, get set and make adjustments. We probably wouldn't of gotten it anyway, but it's something little that pisses me of off.

Another thing that happened was when we stopped Northwestern on 3rd down about 2 feet short of the first down. For some reason the officials came on to measure, even though it was obvious that it was nowhere near a first down. The extra time for measurement pretty much gave Northwestern a free timeout, and time to decide if they wanted to go for it, rather than being hurried to make a decision of going for it or not.

It's just annoying.

It's annoying BECAUSE we're always putting ourselves in positions where the refs calls can lose the game for us. That bugs the hell out of me.

But you're right. I want me some zebra blood most Saturdays.

We did end up benefiting greatly from Martinez shovel passed out of the end zone and they though Cotton was close enough to be considered the intended receiver (he wasn't and it should have been a safety).

Great point! We won by 1 point.. that safety gets called, we may not win the game.

Garbage call from a ref who didn't see the ball was loose 50 yards down the field, and that really didn't even matter because we were the team punting the ball. Stafford simply pushed the guy in the back, knocking him to the ground. Last I checked this is football, and the only time that is called is when it's blocking in the back, which in this case could only have been called on a N'Western player.

I thought it was a bullsh#t call, either way you slice it. Officiating was onrey today. If the hit legitimately happened during the play, then it's bs. It's football. The NW player tried to give Stafford the work, and Damion knocked him on his ass. If it happened after the play, then yes, it shoulda been our ball, then the 15 yards. Here's another one though. What about the one on Northwestern final TD drive where they picked up 9 yards on a 3rd down, and they called a defensive holding on us. They tacked the penalty on to the end of the run. Sharp and Davison were flabbergasted. Isnt it either get the play or get the penalty? They turned a 9 yard gain into 24, and pretty much allowed for that last TD.

I'm still confused by that defensive holding play. Especially because it ended up being a run (though I can see if they are saying we held a reciever before the QB took off)! But I've never seen a defensive holding tacked on to the end of a play. I'm not saying the refs were wrong to do this, just that in all the years I have never, ever seen this.

Garbage call from a ref who didn't see the ball was loose 50 yards down the field, and that really didn't even matter because we were the team punting the ball. Stafford simply pushed the guy in the back, knocking him to the ground. Last I checked this is football, and the only time that is called is when it's blocking in the back, which in this case could only have been called on a N'Western player.

On the replay, I think it was more the way he made the contact. By extending his arms like he did, it looked like a punch to the back. I'm not saying he actually did, but I can see how a ref watching that play sees a guy who should be running down field to get to the actual play instead looks like he's punching the guy in front of him. There was no advantage to Stafford for doing that 30 yards from the play. Players need to know not to even give the ref the opportunity to misinterpret their actions in a situation like that.

Here's another one though. What about the one on Northwestern final TD drive where they picked up 9 yards on a 3rd down, and they called a defensive holding on us. They tacked the penalty on to the end of the run. Sharp and Davison were flabbergasted. Isnt it either get the play or get the penalty? They turned a 9 yard gain into 24, and pretty much allowed for that last TD.

The only thing I can think of here is if it was enough for it to technically be a personal foul, which would be applied to the end of the play?

I thought the officials had a poor game. On the 4th down we went for, we lined up and snapped the ball. They came running in and stopped the play and reset the clock, but never explained why? This allowed Northwestern to see the formation we wanted to run, get set and make adjustments. We probably wouldn't of gotten it anyway, but it's something little that pisses me of off.

Another thing that happened was when we stopped Northwestern on 3rd down about 2 feet short of the first down. For some reason the officials came on to measure, even though it was obvious that it was nowhere near a first down. The extra time for measurement pretty much gave Northwestern a free timeout, and time to decide if they wanted to go for it, rather than being hurried to make a decision of going for it or not.

It's just annoying.

That's called a smart move by the NW coaching staff. They are allowed to ask for a measurement and the refs proceeded to grant their request.

A bonehead move by the NU coaching staff is calling a timeout on 4th down with 10 seconds left in the half. This essentially forced us to punt the ball. Instead, he should have let the clock tick down to 3 seconds left then burned the TO. This would have allowed us to do the following:

1. Attempt a fg w/o the reprocussions of NW getting the ball at midfield if missed.

2. Throw a hail mary at the end of the half (hey it worked for South Carolina last year)

3. Take the snap on 4th down and throw the ball out of bounds, eliminating the remaining time in the half.

Pelini has very poor game/clock management skills and we got away w/ this game.

I do think the refs jobbed us on this one, I thought he foul was post possession, which should have given us the ball then marched 15 yards back from the recovery spot.

The Refs assesed that one correctly it was during the play therefore no change of posseison had occured.

I was pretty sure that the change of possesion is right after the ball leaves the foot of the punter. I thought it was a bad call as far as us repunting the ball, but Stafford did something dumb, aggresive but dumb.

• Fire 1