Is Taylor Martinez as good as Braxton Miller and Denard Robinson?

He is a better QB.

Braxton and Denard are their team's lifeline. They have to make plays.

We don't need him to make plays with his feet. Aside from QBs, Nebraska has 1550 yards rushing. Ohio State and Michigan, 1038 and 658 respectively.

Taylor is putting together a great season as a real QB.

There are a lot of quarterbacks putting up insane numbers this season, and guys like Miller and Robinson get props for the "intagibles" (i.e. running the ball) that elevated QBs like Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch when their stats seemed pretty tame. I'm a big Taylor fan and want to see him in the mix, but acknowledge that his second half backslide against UCLA and his flurry of interceptions and fumbles against Ohio State in national TV games took him out of the running, just as some other qbs were stepping up. Two fewer interceptions and one more win and Taylor's in the running. If he outplays Denard, he'll take Denard's place.

I was also impressed that Martinez has notched three Big 10 Offensive Player of the Week awards. That's almost dominating. So he's not exactly unappreciated.

He is when he can hang on to the football and play consistent. This guy is just as good as running the ball as Miller and Robinson. He just has to protect the ball better and keep improving his throwing techniques that he worked so hard on this past summer. Consistency is the key for Taylor, and we really need him during the stretch drive to be consistent and dependable. We can win the Big Ten and still have a shot at a BCS game, even with two losses. Go Big Red!!!!!!!

I miss the Taylor Martinez from the first six games of his freshman year. After the injury he was apparently instructed never to take a hit again. Unlike Braxton and Robinson, Taylor rarely lowers a shoulder or cuts into the field or tries to squeeze out the extra yards. Even when he breaks into the open now, you can see him figuring out how far he can go before he hook slides. He also gets tackled standing straight up a lot.

Taylor will rightly be remembered as a Husker great and will rewrite a lot of our record book. But there's really no place for him (or Braxton or Robinson) in the NFL, so I hope he unleashes himself in his Senior year and rips the place up.

I miss the Taylor Martinez from the first six games of his freshman year. After the injury he was apparently instructed never to take a hit again. Unlike Braxton and Robinson, Taylor rarely lowers a shoulder or cuts into the field or tries to squeeze out the extra yards. Even when he breaks into the open now, you can see him figuring out how far he can go before he hook slides. He also gets tackled standing straight up a lot.

Taylor will rightly be remembered as a Husker great and will rewrite a lot of our record book. But there's really no place for him (or Braxton or Robinson) in the NFL, so I hope he unleashes himself in his Senior year and rips the place up.

Oh yeah, I miss those days too--when we'd be facing 3rd down and 10 on our own 20 yd line and T-Magic would peel off an eighty yard touchdown run (K-State game, 3rd qtr. lol). But I have a theory about his performance in those first four games. The thing is, everyone assumes Taylor lost a step after those first few games he started. That might be part of the reason--he was dinged up. But I think there's more to it than that. I think those 50+ yard read option plays T-Mart had back in 2010 were a matter of precise timing. In most of those plays if the LBs or safeties react even a fraction of a second faster, Taylor gets tackled in the first 10 yds. But if T-Mart makes it past 10 yds, he's gone for 50+. It worked like magic the first four games--when nobody had seen anything like Taylor Martinez in college football---ever. But by the time we played the Whorns (5th game in 2010) there was plenty of film on T-Mart. What we'd been doing with the read option wasn't a surprise to anyone. That, and we were facing MUCH better athletes than in the first four games. In fact, I'm not sure how we managed to gash Kansas St (game 4) like we did. Either Granny Snyder was asleep at the wheel, or the Kitties just didn't have the personnel to stop him.

Part II of my theory: 2012 performance. T-Mart has had some pretty incredible runs this season. First, he's not dinged up anymore. But I think there's more to it than that: We have a viable passing attack this year. When the safeties creep up on the line for run support, he burns their ass down the field with the CBs out on an island. I think this year *nobody* is surprised by T-Mart tucking the ball and running. It's just that the safeties can't cheat up on the line like last season. (Last season when our passing game was in the crapper.) /jmho

Those five K-State fans--the guys in shock--just kill me every time. :lol:

/edit: Oh yeah, to answer the OP's question--I'd say Martinez is every bit as good as Braxton Miller and Denard Robinson. Maybe not as shifty or elusive in the backfield as either one of those guys. But Taylor is the best passer this year of the three. Plus, T-Mart has been a pretty impressive field general when the game is on the line. I wouldn't trade him for either of the other guys.

Martinez is the best QB out of the three right now, by a pretty substantial margin in my opinion. Miller has the highest ceiling, he'll probably end up being quite a bit better than Martinez. Robinson is a sprinter pretending to be a QB.

If we're just going off who the best runner is, Martinez is probably 3rd. He's fast, and he seems to be a little more elusive than he was the previous two years, but he'll never be as shifty as Robinson or especially Miller.

And yeah I agree Taylor was snubbed. No way in hell Robinson belongs on that list.

Imagine Martinez with an offense that doesn't implode. Look at how much better he looks now that receivers are actually catching the ball. Now imagine improved O line play. The dude plays his heart out. IMO, DR and Miller are the stars of the O for both teams. Martinez is like the best supporting actor. Between our run game and receiver play, he doesn't get the spot light like the other two.

Dude is the boss.

I think Braxton Miller and Taylor Martinez are the best QB's in the B1G right now and I think Dennard shouldn't even be in the same conversation right now. Both Miller and Martinez are explosive with not only their feet, but can throw the ball as well. Dennard can't throw the ball unless he is having an outstanding day for whatever reason. Miller will be a Heisman front runner next year or the year after........he's really good.

I think Braxton Miller and Taylor Martinez are the best QB's in the B1G right now and I think Dennard shouldn't even be in the same conversation right now. Both Miller and Martinez are explosive with not only their feet, but can throw the ball as well. Dennard can't throw the ball unless he is having an outstanding day for whatever reason. Miller will be a Heisman front runner next year or the year after........he's really good.

Martinez could be a Heisman frontrunner as well if we get off to a good start. Our schedule is much easier next year.... An optimistic vision would be an undefeated Nebraska, and undefeated Ohio St. playing in the B1G Championship game!! Wouldnt that be something!!

I will agree with you that he hasn't ran the same...but then you could look at this year for example, Taylor is the only of the 3 not to get knocked out of a game. Miller and D-Rob pay/will continue to pay for the way they run.

Martinez could be a Heisman frontrunner as well if we get off to a good start. Our schedule is much easier next year.... An optimistic vision would be an undefeated Nebraska, and undefeated Ohio St. playing in the B1G Championship game!! Wouldnt that be something!!

I agree, but all the national "experts" are so hung-up on his mechanics. He gets the job done most of the time................plain and simple.