Is this a must win game?

i have been thinking about this for awhile and i think it explains why it is so hard to be a husker fan sometimes. for the past decade there have been a lot of games when we were underdogs, but i still hoped we would win because i saw the team we were about to play struggle with an inferior team. i also saw teams like lsu lose to kentucky or florida lose to ole miss. i would think, maybe we could pull off the upset because we somehow overachieve and they have their worst game of the year. but it never really happened and it bummed me out.

but here is the thing. one, we want to be the better team. i realize that. but more importantly, two, we are still nebraska and even when we are at our worse, teams play us at their best. we have seen it quite a bit. even though you get whiners here saying, 'we are no nebraska anymore', ask the isu team who beat us who we are. there is a reason we get upset and blown-out when we should not. now, this does not excuse our poor play, but it does explain why we see the best from other teams quite a bit. we may not think so, but a win against nebraska still means something to those teams.

finally, i think we will beat michigan this week. but no one here will be impressed, because if we do beat michigan, after all, they are not that good.

• Fire 1

I'm glad you said it accountability. For anyone to accept a close loss just shows we aren't Nebraska anymore. Goes right into what I was saying of our perceived mediocre standing now. Accepting losses to Ohio State and Michigan makes us Texas A&M or UCLA!

Well, that comment was half serious, and half sarcastic mocking. 50-50, right down the middle, because I understand both points of view, but dont take a stand on either one. I'm more of a what happens, happens type. If we lose, we lose-I'm upset, regardless. If we win. I'll take it. Regardless of "how".

• Fire 1

i have been thinking about this for awhile and i think it explains why it is so hard to be a husker fan sometimes. for the past decade there have been a lot of games when we were underdogs, but i still hoped we would win because i saw the team we were about to play struggle with an inferior team. i also saw teams like lsu lose to kentucky or florida lose to ole miss. i would think, maybe we could pull off the upset because we somehow overachieve and they have their worst game of the year. but it never really happened and it bummed me out.

but here is the thing. one, we want to be the better team. i realize that. but more importantly, two, we are still nebraska and even when we are at our worse, teams play us at their best. we have seen it quite a bit. even though you get whiners here saying, 'we are no nebraska anymore', ask the isu team who beat us who we are. there is a reason we get upset and blown-out when we should not. now, this does not excuse our poor play, but it does explain why we see the best from other teams quite a bit. we may not think so, but a win against nebraska still means something to those teams.

finally, i think we will beat michigan this week. but no one here will be impressed, because if we do beat michigan, after all, they are not that good.

Last year, I think you could make the claim that we had a big bullseye on our back from the B1G teams primarily because we were picked to win our division and possibly win the B1G the very first year. This year, I don't necessarily think it's quite the same. There are several teams that get everyone's best. I highly doubt anyone takes Bama, LSU, Oregon, USC, OU, Texas, etc. lightly. I'm not willing to accept the reason we lose to lesser teams is because we're getting their best.

You're probably right with regards to if we beat Michigan people will not be impressed stating Michigan isn't very good. I'm already learning that NW is a better team than Michigan, and we both know what most are saying about NW.