From a Northwestern fan...

This was shared from a NW fan's Facebook:

"I met a lot of very polite, down-to-earth Nebraska fans before and after the game, and if I'm just judging by quality of character, you were plenty nice.

That said, you're a bunch of dicks.

I've seen plenty of lop-sided crowds over the years at Ryan, but something yesterday just hit a raw nerve. All I kept thinking about is how a game like this is important in getting un-affiliated casual Chicago fans to experience Ryan Field first hand and perhaps gets them hooked for years to come. I kept thinking about how hard our players work to be in a position to play an important game, and how they deserve better support. And then I think about how none of it mattered, because a bunch of Nebraskans (or Iowans, or you name it) cut off any opportunity at a bandwagon effect before it even has a chance to get rolling. If it had been a walk-up crowd that was just bigger… well, then fine. However, Nebraskans manipulated our season ticket packages to claim those seats before the single game even went on sale (and a big shame on Jim Phillips for not enacting much more stringent controls on access to additional game tickets for season ticket holders). How many casual Chicago fans never even had a shot at that game? Do we expect to hook anyone new as fans if the only available gameday experiences are to the dregs of the conference / non-conference weaklings? How many current season ticket holders get driven away because they need to share their section every big game with somebody rooting for he other team (especially relatively new season ticket holders who are in the boundary sections)?

Nebraska fans ? you think you are nice, but the very fact that you take those tickets means that you are hurting our fans, hurting our players, and hurting our program. Our school deserves our own atmosphere. You may have been personally nice, but I never wanted a crowd to leave disappointed more in my life. Don't come back ? you're not our friends and you're not doing us any favors. If you do want to come back again, I hope that it's much harder, much more expensive, and much less pleasant the next time around (not to imply violence or crudeness, because that's not what we're about, but I don't want you to feel welcome either)."

The fact that I paid 70 per ticket for my four to watch a game in that crap hole is payment enough.

This was shared from a NW fan's Facebook:

"I met a lot of very polite, down-to-earth Nebraska fans before and after the game, and if I'm just judging by quality of character, you were plenty nice.

That said, you're a bunch of dicks.

I've seen plenty of lop-sided crowds over the years at Ryan, but something yesterday just hit a raw nerve. All I kept thinking about is how a game like this is important in getting un-affiliated casual Chicago fans to experience Ryan Field first hand and perhaps gets them hooked for years to come. I kept thinking about how hard our players work to be in a position to play an important game, and how they deserve better support. And then I think about how none of it mattered, because a bunch of Nebraskans (or Iowans, or you name it) cut off any opportunity at a bandwagon effect before it even has a chance to get rolling. If it had been a walk-up crowd that was just bigger… well, then fine. However, Nebraskans manipulated our season ticket packages to claim those seats before the single game even went on sale (and a big shame on Jim Phillips for not enacting much more stringent controls on access to additional game tickets for season ticket holders). How many casual Chicago fans never even had a shot at that game? Do we expect to hook anyone new as fans if the only available gameday experiences are to the dregs of the conference / non-conference weaklings? How many current season ticket holders get driven away because they need to share their section every big game with somebody rooting for he other team (especially relatively new season ticket holders who are in the boundary sections)?

Nebraska fans ? you think you are nice, but the very fact that you take those tickets means that you are hurting our fans, hurting our players, and hurting our program. Our school deserves our own atmosphere. You may have been personally nice, but I never wanted a crowd to leave disappointed more in my life. Don't come back ? you're not our friends and you're not doing us any favors. If you do want to come back again, I hope that it's much harder, much more expensive, and much less pleasant the next time around (not to imply violence or crudeness, because that's not what we're about, but I don't want you to feel welcome either)."

The fact that I paid 70 per ticket for my four to watch a game in that crap hole is payment enough.

lol, I payed roughly 60 dollars in food, beer and a few Huskers over at my house. OOh yeah I was able to go to the bathroom without missing anything.

Obviously, the author of that diatribe believes in equal outcomes for unequal effort. Sounds like that one guy who came from Chicago four years ago.

IF the Northwestern athletic department doesn't want this to happen again, then they can go on a vindictive purge of season ticket holders who sold out their team for a couple of bucks, much like Notre Dame did when we turned their field into a Memorial Stadium East for the weekend...but my guess is that they will take the money and run, same as the Northwestern fans Purple Ferengi profit takers did.

It's funny, even on the dominantly purple side there were still tons of empty season. In other words, blow it out your @$$.

it really makes you wonder; what would that stadium look like if no nebraska fans showed up? the guy works on a false premise that all that red would have been purple if not for the traveling sea of red.

what is funnier is that he blames husker fans for going to the game because the only time chicagoans would want to watch northwestern is when they are playing a team like the huskers. well, a lot more than just chigacoans want to see the huskers play, such as husker fans. it is insane to be angry at a successful program with a rabid fanbase for being the type of game these these mythical 'casual' fans would want to see, yet bleed husker red fans are 'dicks' for wanting to support that very team. he is whining because they did not get the benefit from out team because of the fans that have supported that team want to continue to support that team. you want fans to travel from chicago to evanston? win, a lot. unfortunately, though, that might not even be enough.

NW fans that are actually upset about this need to take a step back and look at it from the perspective of a Husker fan. Say you're a Husker fan that lives somewhere east of Lincoln and don't have season tickets. What sounds better: Spending over $100+ / ticket in advance, plus $300+ / night for decent lodging in Lincoln on a game day weekend, plus jacked up car rental, plus jacked up airfare...or spending under $50 / ticket in advance for a good ticket, normal lodging prices in Chicago, normal airfare to two large airports, normal car rental, and Chicago's extensive public transit....oh, and you spend a weekend in CHICAGO, not Lincoln. I'm just being honest here...the trip to Chicago looks pretty damn good if money and a full weekend of stuff to do are concerns.

NW fans are just going to have to live with the fact that every two years, unless the athletic department somehow finds a way to block ticket sales to Husker fans, Ryan field is going to be a Lincoln suburb for a day.

NW fans that are actually upset about this need to take a step back and look at it from the perspective of a Husker fan. Say you're a Husker fan that lives somewhere east of Lincoln and don't have season tickets. What sounds better: Spending over $100+ / ticket in advance, plus $300+ / night for decent lodging in Lincoln on a game day weekend, plus jacked up car rental, plus jacked up airfare...or spending under $50 / ticket in advance for a good ticket, normal lodging prices in Chicago, normal airfare to two large airports, normal car rental, and Chicago's extensive public transit....oh, and you spend a weekend in CHICAGO, not Lincoln. I'm just being honest here...the trip to Chicago looks pretty damn good if money and a full weekend of stuff to do are concerns.

NW fans are just going to have to live with the fact that every two years, unless the athletic department somehow finds a way to block ticket sales to Husker fans, Ryan field is going to be a Lincoln suburb for a day.

I never really thought of it like that but you make a really good point.