announcers NU vs. Mich

If you're going to have Herbie running around at a pumpkin patch around Halloween, at least get it done at Roca Berry Farm, which actually IS a Lincoln institution.

And for those saying there's nothing but corn and cows in out-state Nebraska... just stop. I live in out-state Nebraska for many years, and if you guys can't be bothered to actually find the many jewels in the state that aren't in Omaha and Lincoln, don't bother to comment on them. Just because you don't want to acknowledge them and like playing this game doesn't mean others appreciate it. I love this state and ALL the areas of it. Stop disparaging the rest of the state and playing right into the hands of those from the coasts that think that's all we are.

haha - you've found one of the many local watering holes located in each little town of western Nebraska haven't you? I grew up back there. You're right - there's wheat too! Face it, there is nothing there. 99% of the people there will admit that. The ones that can't just don't realize what else is out there - or didn't like it when they found it. Nothing wrong w/ either. But the fac that there's nothing there is what's great about it. But let's not pretend the greater part of Nebraska has much to offer anyone that wasn't already a small town kid to start with.

Really depends on what you want to look for when you do look, kc. I understand that I've probably got a different outlook on it, having grown up in several different small towns while I was growing up (having lived in two different corners of the state, along with living in Omaha for four years, and having called Lincoln home, for the most part, since I graduated high school, along with working my first professional job in the middle part of the state). But the jewels in Nebraska are out there, if you want to look for them. And no, not really talking about local bars/watering holes. Bars were never my thing too much. The problem isn't in whether there is anything out there to see, it's in what's important to you, and whether you want to open your eyes to see it. I understand a lot of people don't care about the things I would list, that's fine. But a lot of folks don't even bother to find out what's out there, because they take the mindset that there's NOTHING there, when a little research and a little exploration might show them differently.

Sorry to offtrack the thread so much. Just kind of passionate about rural Nebraska in a lot of different ways. :)

If you're going to have Herbie running around at a pumpkin patch around Halloween, at least get it done at Roca Berry Farm, which actually IS a Lincoln institution.

And for those saying there's nothing but corn and cows in out-state Nebraska... just stop. I live in out-state Nebraska for many years, and if you guys can't be bothered to actually find the many jewels in the state that aren't in Omaha and Lincoln, don't bother to comment on them. Just because you don't want to acknowledge them and like playing this game doesn't mean others appreciate it. I love this state and ALL the areas of it. Stop disparaging the rest of the state and playing right into the hands of those from the coasts that think that's all we are.

haha - you've found one of the many local watering holes located in each little town of western Nebraska haven't you? I grew up back there. You're right - there's wheat too! Face it, there is nothing there. 99% of the people there will admit that. The ones that can't just don't realize what else is out there - or didn't like it when they found it. Nothing wrong w/ either. But the fac that there's nothing there is what's great about it. But let's not pretend the greater part of Nebraska has much to offer anyone that wasn't already a small town kid to start with.

Really depends on what you want to look for when you do look, kc. I understand that I've probably got a different outlook on it, having grown up in several different small towns while I was growing up (having lived in two different corners of the state, along with living in Omaha for four years, and having called Lincoln home, for the most part, since I graduated high school, along with working my first professional job in the middle part of the state). But the jewels in Nebraska are out there, if you want to look for them. And no, not really talking about local bars/watering holes. Bars were never my thing too much. The problem isn't in whether there is anything out there to see, it's in what's important to you, and whether you want to open your eyes to see it. I understand a lot of people don't care about the things I would list, that's fine. But a lot of folks don't even bother to find out what's out there, because they take the mindset that there's NOTHING there, when a little research and a little exploration might show them differently.

Sorry to offtrack the thread so much. Just kind of passionate about rural Nebraska in a lot of different ways. :)

Don't get me wrong, by no means do I mean to take anything away from Nebraska by saying what I said. It's just that I've lived in small-town Nebraska all my life, and the cows and corn are most of what I see. To be fair, there are some really beautiful areas in this state, especially out in the western part around Chadron, but so much of where I am is farmland that it seems like it's all I see. I guess I've just gotten tired of it.

More broadcast realted than annoucer, but did anyone else notice that they had the wrong picutre for Brett Maher. They used some guy with shaggy hair that looked to be about 17, no idea who it was but it definitly wasn't Brett.

They had the wrong pic for Michigan's kicker too

Re: the ESPN and Corn thing... Its not that showing corn-themed things is bad (we are, after all, the Cornhuskers). Its just that corn becomes the focal point of portraying the great state of Nebraska. Truthfully, the corn shots aren't even of beautifully rolling fields with a traditional Nebraska sunset. Instead, its brown corn, filmed at night, and has our mascot stumbling through it.

With the new "Lincoln" city campaign, and the pride Huskers have about the aura of game day around Lincoln, you'd think more of us would be upset that ESPN is showing millions of others that... really... corn is all there is. Having been born in Norfolk and lived in Omaha, Columbus and Lincoln, I know the genuine spirit of Nebraska (rural and "city"). Having moved to LA to finish med school, I miss that rural vibe sooo badly (which is unmistakable, even in Lincoln).

I follow the stadium expansion post incessantly. Have my family members send me pictures of the Haymarket. Love to see articles published about our college town. How we're consistently ranked as a great place to live. AND WE ARE! What if the ESPN portrayals of Nebraska showed a vibrant college town surrounded by beautiful countryside? A progressive city with night life, good people, excellent sports, and a vibrant economy. Part of what is so incredible about Husker sports is that the university is not just a presence in one city, but the ENTIRE state.

However, having watched three years of Nebraska football on TV (coming home for one game a year... my family has 4 season tickets, had 'em all my life) I am left with the sad realization: perception is reality. To the average male that watches football on television each Saturday, Nebraska is a field of corn. Thus, to the average recruit, one can only assume there is nothing for them here. They can go to the Pacific (Oregon, USC, Washington) or mountains (Arizona, CU, BSU) or to thriving college towns (tOSU, Wiscy, Michigan, LSU, Clemson, etc.). Can you blame them?

I thought the crew was fine. One thing that I didn't much care for was Brock on some of the video replay. Unless you have x-ray vision you couldn't tell! He pretty much backs the refs and with some crazy rationalization.

It's okay to say it's inconclusive. Frankly I think the review refs need to restudy their mission notes. If it's not clear cut than it's inconclusive, let the call on the field stand. IMO 3 of them were inconclusive. The replay booth is being overused.

I noticed Huard paused for a second and said Papuchis' name with authority. I chuckled at that bit. And the other guy says "They want those... Black.. Shirts" in an odd sense as if he's never heard of the term before? If you read up on Michigan boards some were complaining Huard was too bias for Nebraska. I only heard a small bit of bias and it wasn't necessarily for Nebraska he just hates when refs don't let the kids play and they consistently make flaky PI calls. And it's evident Bo's sideline demeanor doesn't bode well with not only referees but apparently announcers too. You would think a former player like Huard would appreciate a bit of fire from a coach.

These guys practically put me to sleep and I ended up switching it with 6 minutes left. I couldn't take it anymore. Mark Jones especially and Huard, zero enthusiasm announcing wise. Why did these guys even show up. I expected more from Jones.

Please no more Mark Jones and Huard too. At least act like you want to be there.