Nebraska vs an undefeated Oregon

So I've read through this thread and haven't seen any mention of this, BUUUUUUT.....

What if the SEC produces no undefeated teams (Bama loses to LSU this week, for example)? Would the SEC champion (a 1-loss team) get into the BCS national title game if Oregon, K-State and Notre Dame finished the season undefeated?

I would like to think 'no', but the landscape of college football these days makes me think at least 2 of these (possible) undefeateds would get snubbed even if the SEC champ has a loss.

No chance.

ND/KSU/Oregon aren't Boise/Utah/Etc.

So I've read through this thread and haven't seen any mention of this, BUUUUUUT.....

What if the SEC produces no undefeated teams (Bama loses to LSU this week, for example)? Would the SEC champion (a 1-loss team) get into the BCS national title game if Oregon, K-State and Notre Dame finished the season undefeated?

I would like to think 'no', but the landscape of college football these days makes me think at least 2 of these (possible) undefeateds would get snubbed even if the SEC champ has a loss.

No chance.

True. But the SEC is the darling of college football. Something tells me even the computers would somehow manage to get that 1-loss SEC team the points they need to at least defend the SEC's 6 (or 7) straight years of national titles.

I am beginning to think that maybe the Huskers are starting to improve (though that remains to be seen in terms of continued improvement). That said, this is a great thing... because the Huskers have not improved in a long, long time. That we are wondering if this is legitimate improvement or not at present is a good thing.

So... I am somewhat surprised that the Huskers maybe are improving --- and really, really happy that they perhaps are. But... if even a very improved Husker team were to play Oregon (as much as I despise Oregon) ... the Ducks win by a "pick a score" margin. If they chose a 40+ point margin... they win by 40+ points. If they lay off and chill.. they win by 21 or so. But in no way does NU even remotely compete with Oregon.

No chance.

True. But the SEC is the darling of college football. Something tells me even the computers would somehow manage to get that 1-loss SEC team the points they need to at least defend the SEC's 6 (or 7) straight years of national titles.

In a word, no. There's absolutely no chance a SEC team gets into the title game if none of them go undefeated and Oregon, KState, and Notre Dame do. Hopefully, Saban has found a kicker in the offseason. If he has, we shouldn't have to worry about everyone in the SEC having at least one loss.

I agree with what's being said here. I mean you guys said you had no chance in hell beating Michigan. Oregon would demolish you. You should just stop playing games and forefeit so you don't need to worry about it.

Congrats on your defense earning yellow shirts, because you guys are apparently too chicken to play a team.

Remember, they said the same thing to Ohio State when Oregon played them. They said the same thing to Ohio State when Miami played them in 2003.

That's why I'd rather see Ohio State play Oregon in the Rose Bowl this year.

Oh, wait... they can't.

The difference is, you think I'm attacking the program. I'm not. I'm attacking the fans that say, I don't want to face Oregon because we'd get our butts kicked.....well you (the fans in question) said the same thing about Michigan....yet you beat them (something I said was entirely possible) and I'm showing you precedence for the unstoppable offenses that were stopped.

In all reality we will probably play either Oregon State of Stanford. I have no idea what kind of offense or defense Oregon St plays, but if we make it to the rose bowl and play

Stanford I think we win. Stanford runs a pro style type offense, with a pocket qb. The type of offense that Pelini's defenses are know for tearing apart. And in all honesty if we play Oregon would I be "scared"? no, but do I think Nebraska would beat Oregon? no but it is college football and crazier things have happened. I want to play a team like Stanford, or Oregon State, or even USC (who I think would be a pretty tough out due to the amazing talent they have). I want us to play a team that we should beat in a BCS bowl game! Its been way to long since NU has been to a BCS game and I think it would be a huge momentum/ confidence builder going into next season. plus winning a rose bowl would be huge for recruiting!

I agree with what's being said here. I mean you guys said you had no chance in hell beating Michigan. Oregon would demolish you. You should just stop playing games and forefeit so you don't need to worry about it.

Congrats on your defense earning yellow shirts, because you guys are apparently too chicken to play a team.

Remember, they said the same thing to Ohio State when Oregon played them. They said the same thing to Ohio State when Miami played them in 2003.

Oh, wait... they can't.

The difference is, you think I'm attacking the program. I'm not. I'm attacking the fans that say, I don't want to face Oregon because we'd get our butts kicked.....well you (the fans in question) said the same thing about Michigan....yet you beat them (something I said was entirely possible) and I'm showing you precedence for the unstoppable offenses that were stopped.

In that case, my apologies. I read your post wrong, and should've thought about what you were trying to say before I responded. Sorry about that.

Win or lose, if Oregon is the team we face should we make it to the Rose Bowl, so be it. Either way, we'll know how close to the top tier we are, and hopefully we'll get enough of a glimpse of how the top tier operates to figure out how to get ourselves there.

Oh, wait... they can't.

He's actually on your side....

I think we still have four tough games. If we win all of those, and the conference championship (tainted) which would be a first for Coach Pelini, then we could consider the ramifications of facing an undefeated Oregon team.

Should we be afraid to play them? No, but there are two avenues we go down. Win, it will be Oregon did not want to be there, but it would help our recruiting tremendously. Lose, we were supposed to, but if the score gets out of hand, which I feel it would, as all have so far this year from them, it could really hurt recruiting, and we need every positive on that, that we can get.

I doubt we win 8 games in row, we are an average team in a below average conference.

I am not concerned about a loss to Oregon, unless it is so bad it hurts us down the road. They have the capabilities of putting up big numbers on pretty much anyone. I truly think they give Bama a run for their money if they play this year.

There are people now putting up Oregon's Qb for the Hypsman, he leads the conference in a lot of areas I guess. Oregon is fast, I do not see us containing their offense. They are not Michigan or Northwestern. They are the leader of a pretty good conference and will be pissed as hell if they do not get to the MNC game.

I would rather see us in a game, where we belong, with a good chance at winning. This program needs wins, not the chance of a major embarsement.

Win or lose, if Oregon is the team we face should we make it to the Rose Bowl, so be it. Either way, we'll know how close to the top tier we are, and hopefully we'll get enough of a glimpse of how the top tier operates to figure out how to get ourselves there.

Haven't we known how close we are to the top tier since 2009?

I think we still have four tough games. If we win all of those, and the conference championship (tainted) which would be a first for Coach Pelini, then we could consider the ramifications of facing an undefeated Oregon team.

Should we be afraid to play them? No, but there are two avenues we go down. Win, it will be Oregon did not want to be there, but it would help our recruiting tremendously. Lose, we were supposed to, but if the score gets out of hand, which I feel it would, as all have so far this year from them, it could really hurt recruiting, and we need every positive on that, that we can get.

I doubt we win 8 games in row, we are an average team in a below average conference.

I am not concerned about a loss to Oregon, unless it is so bad it hurts us down the road. They have the capabilities of putting up big numbers on pretty much anyone. I truly think they give Bama a run for their money if they play this year.

There are people now putting up Oregon's Qb for the Hypsman, he leads the conference in a lot of areas I guess. Oregon is fast, I do not see us containing their offense. They are not Michigan or Northwestern. They are the leader of a pretty good conference and will be pissed as hell if they do not get to the MNC game.

I would rather see us in a game, where we belong, with a good chance at winning. This program needs wins, not the chance of a major embarsement.

While you say the B1G championship title would be tainted..............I'd argue how can you say that? Yes, Ohio State beat us in the regular season by A LOT. Doesn't mean they would beat us again in the championship game. It's very hard to beat the same team twice in a season and if we play Wisconsin in the championship game, if we both get there, it'll be a tough task for us to beat them again. Ohio State is in the Leaders division, not the Legends so I don't think it's tainted at all? We would still have to play the game to decide who would win it.....................yes?