Return of the Attacking Blackshirts Defense?

The Duke

Is the attacking style of the 90's blackshirts defense making a return to Nebraska? This quote from Defensive Coordinator John Papuchis in Dirk Chatelain's Omaha World Herald article "Defense's Progress Offers Hope NU will Enjoy Brighter Stretch Run" which you can read by clicking this link http://www.omaha.com...ter-stretch-run

The article discusses how the coaches examined everything in the program after the humiliating and humbling loss to Ohio State. And what they concluded is that in order for Nebraska's Blackshirts defense to be successful they had to find a way to stop the run.

I'm not sure about the rest of you Cornhusker fans, but this is THE QUOTE that I have been waiting to hear from a Nebraska coaching staff for almost a decade:

"Their first priority was making the safeties more aggressive against running quarterbacks. 'The very first statement that was made Sunday in our staff meeting was, we're going to stop the run,' Papuchis said. 'If they can throw it over our head and take some shots down the field, good for them.'"

In my opinion this is the style of defense Nebraska must have in order to be successful. It lets our front seven athletes play faster, our corners can be more aggressive, and our safeties can be more opportunistic in their coverage. Best of all we will no longer be playing a passive read & react style of defense. We will now be dictating to the offense what they can & cannot do.

This was exactly Charlie McBride's defensive philosophy! His defenses pretty much had the attitude that "We're going to shut down your running game. If you can get a pass completed on us...good for you...but you will not be able to run against us."

In my opinion this whole defensive philosophy sets up the opposing offense to the old saying: "If you live by the pass, you will die by the pass."

I'm not saying this type of defense is a cure all, but I do think it lends itself to be a better fit for our current players and our fan base culture as a whole. Either way, it should be an exciting stretch run by our Huskers to watch. GO BIG RED! GO BLACKSHIRTS! :bonesflag:

• Fire 2

It's great to hear, but still has me wondering as there are some QB's out there that could cause us A LOT of pain by leaving the passing game wide open, but not in our remaining games IMO. I definately like hearing that we are going to be more aggressive on the defensive side of the ball. We need to punch offenses in the mouth and keep making them pay for lining up across from us!

It's great to hear, but still has me wondering as there are some QB's out there that could cause us A LOT of pain by leaving the passing game wide open, but not in our remaining games IMO. I definately like hearing that we are going to be more aggressive on the defensive side of the ball. We need to punch offenses in the mouth and keep making them pay for lining up across from us!

Maybe they are feeling our DBs are good enough to cover even if we attack...that's awesome if it is the case. Would love to see the D start knocking suckers out ala Peters, Polk, SandMan and Wistrom...

"Their first priority was making the safeties more aggressive against running quarterbacks. 'The very first statement that was made Sunday in our staff meeting was, we're going to stop the run,' Papuchis said. 'If they can throw it over our head and take some shots down the field, good for them.'"

Couldn't agree more! Don't know how many times I've yelled this at my TV over the past two years. MAKE them show you they can beat you over the top a couple times before you really get back there. Don't let them complete a short pass and then run for 30 yards because everyone is 50 yards downfield.

Hopefully things keep heading the direction they've been over the last couple games.

Couldn't agree more! Don't know how many times I've yelled this at my TV over the past two years. MAKE them show you they can beat you over the top a couple times before you really get back there. Don't let them complete a short pass and then run for 30 yards because everyone is 50 yards downfield.

Hopefully things keep heading the direction they've been over the last couple games.

He basically put McBride's philosophy into words. This is great.

MSU has been more successful in the air compared to the rush this season (STATS). They came back and won the game vs. Wisky on Maxwell's arm. For the Huskers to win, the defensive front will have to make Maxwell throw when or where he doesn't want and the Husker secondary has to be prepared for an aerial assault. Hopefully, the secondary will be the "good hands people."

I envision a Huskers defensive TD today....the Blackshirts are due...

I never really think that the defense is going to score for us, but keep thinking they will start to get more int's and cause more fumbles as the season wears on. If they do score a defensive t/d, great. I just want to see more take aways. So close on so many int's this year. Time for luck to take over, and let our guys hang on to a few more of them.

GBR!!!