Why we should consider a new Off Coordinator

It's been a little over a year, and it's almost at times we're seeing the same thing.

Our offense will find something that works, and instead of exploiting it, we'll do what ever won't work. When our offense has a break out game, all of a sudden he'll have it figured out, but within a week, the old Beck returns.

Shawn Watson wasted 3 years worth of good defenses because he was a crap offensive coordinator. The current defense is good, but not on the same level as previous years. Beck needs to realize that he's becoming a hinderance to this team, and the sooner that he figures it out, the better. The zone read is effective, and we've got the tools to run it, but we need an offensive coordinator that will commit more to it.

Disagree, taking a shot downfield when that's Taylor's best throw, every once in a while, isn't pushing the panic button.

yeah, but it wasn't necessary to take that shot...

Would your rather have AA get 3 or 4 yards, or increase your chances of turning the ball over by winging it 40 yards down field?

It is necessary though, because you have to take those shots sometime. You can't just never take them and close down the offense a la 2009. How many times have we already run AA to get a yard or three? That doesn't mean we should do that on literally every play.

The call didn't cause the turnover.

It is necessary though, because you have to take those shots sometime. You can't just never take them and close down the offense a la 2009. How many times have we already run AA to get a yard or three? That doesn't mean we should do that on literally every play.

The call didn't cause the turnover.

The call puts T-mart in the position to increase his chances of turning the ball over. You do have to take those shots, but at the time, it wasn't necessary.

You weren't a fan of scoring that touchdown?? After getting stuffed on two straight run plays?

Playcall works, OC is a genius. Playcall doesn't, he's a turd. But it's rarely that simple.

The entire game is a chess X's and O's back and forth between two opposing coaching staffs with these playcalls. No one play exists in a vacuum, so I tend to reject these arguments like "this was obviously a better playcall for that specific play." Also this idea that we should run the same play over and over and over until it stops working, then run a different play and if it works, to run that one repeatedly until it stops working.

When a QB makes a bad decision or throw and it gets picked off, that's on him, it's rarely on the OC. Beck has gotten a ton of flak on these in the past, even on extremely obvious passing downs. It's really flabbergasting.

The problem is do you trust Taylor to pass or not? During the week we praise his passing abilities and talk about how he's putting up great stats and he's a much better passer and his critics can suck it, etc. But every time he throws an interception, the OC should have known better than to let Taylor throw it, because he's a terrible passer and turnover prone?

You weren't a fan of scoring that touchdown?? After getting stuffed on two straight run plays?

Playcall works, OC is a genius. Playcall doesn't, he's a turd. But it's rarely that simple.

The entire game is a chess X's and O's back and forth between two opposing coaching staffs with these playcalls. No one play exists in a vacuum, so I tend to reject these arguments like "this was obviously a better playcall for that specific play." Also this idea that we should run the same play over and over and over until it stops working, then run a different play and if it works, to run that one repeatedly until it stops working.

When a QB makes a bad decision or throw and it gets picked off, that's on him, it's rarely on the OC. Beck has gotten a ton of flak on these in the past, even on extremely obvious passing downs. It's really flabbergasting.

The problem is do you trust Taylor to pass or not? During the week we praise his passing abilities and talk about how he's putting up great stats and he's a much better passer and his critics can suck it, etc. But every time he throws an interception, the OC should have known better than to let Taylor throw it, because he's a terrible passer and turnover prone?

Yeah, but when it doesn't work, he keeps pounding it home, just like Watson. In the year and a half that Beck's been here, I see very little difference.

Beck should realize what his QB's strengths are, and game plan to them. When T-Mart was effective throwing the crossing routes.

I know the defense adapts to try and stop our offense, but look at the weapons Beck has. He's got AA, Cross, Heard, and Bell just for starters. We've seen the Diamond formation effective, why not use that more?

Yeah I hear you on some of the overall criticisms. I think Beck has a tendency sometimes of being too basic and safe. And then when he opens it up, sometimes it's too premature / early. He's developing a better grasp of controlling the flow of a game and at least that's promising. I too would like to see certain things more.

A better set of base bread and butter plays and a good set of changeups for them (rather than either basic or longshot with little in between).

However, that said, I still don't tend to buy "He should have called ___ that time. Therefore he sucks as a playcaller." Very subjective and we have a lot less info than the coaches do on that front.

Has Taylor been better on the crossing routes this year? I remember in previous years he's had a lot of issues leading the receiver properly for the YAC.

Yeah I hear you on some of the overall criticisms. I think Beck has a tendency sometimes of being too basic and safe. And then when he opens it up, sometimes it's too premature / early. He's developing a better grasp of controlling the flow of a game and at least that's promising. I too would like to see certain things more.

A better set of base bread and butter plays and a good set of changeups for them (rather than either basic or longshot with little in between).

However, that said, I still don't tend to buy "He should have called ___ that time. Therefore he sucks as a playcaller." Very subjective and we have a lot less info than the coaches do on that front.

Has Taylor been better on the crossing routes this year? I remember in previous years he's had a lot of issues leading the receiver properly for the YAC.

I need to see a vast improvement between now, and the end of the season. But I really don't think thats going to happen. Unless he goes home later, and has an "oh jesus" type of revelation, we're going to see questionable playcalling.

Granted it's subjective, but those of us have played football, and watched enough football, to see that some of the plays called in certain situations, are completely asinine. Why would you throw the ball on 3rd and short? Thats just complete and utter jackassery. But yet, it happens weekly, and it infuriates everyone.

From what I remember it's been an improvement, like the one play they diagramed at the beginning of the game.