Why we should consider a new Off Coordinator

If you're not satisfied by the drastic improvements our offense has made over the last two seasons, you're not going to be satisfied with any offensive coordinator.

Sorry.

2010 Rush Yds Per Game 247 Pass Yds Per Game 150 Points Per Game 30.9

2011 Rush Yds Per Game 217 Pass Yds Per Game 162 Points Per Game 29.2

I'm not sure if I'd say drastic...

I think we hired the same guy, different hair cut maybe?

We played in the Big XII, where teams refused to play defense.

In '09 and '10, against any defense that was decent, we'd struggle to put up 10 points. Now we're putting up around 30 points on really good defenses. If you don't see the drastic improvements, you're not paying attention.

• Fire 1

If you're not satisfied by the drastic improvements our offense has made over the last two seasons, you're not going to be satisfied with any offensive coordinator.

Sorry.

He was clearly including this year, which you left out:

2012: Rush Yds Per Game 264 Pass Yds Per Game 225 Points Per Game 39.3

And we haven't played Minnesota yet.

Dont know if this was mentioned yet. I spent the middle stages of the game griping about no zone reads being ran. It was obvious early they couldnt stop it, but when we finally went back to it later, there was nothing. Maybe because Beck already saw adjustments being made. I'm realizing more and more with each one of these heart attacks that it's a 60 minute game and that our players and coaches understand this as much as anyone and that it's ok to pick a probe a bit, especially on a defense as good as theirs and make adjustments accordingly. I'm not talking about the exaggerated adjustments that are blown out of proportions here. "We won, we made adjustments. We lost, we failed to make adjustments, derpa derpa"

I'm talking about little things that we dont notice such as alinments and minor changes in blocking. Maybe making splits a footwider so the lineman can get to that backer. Little things like that. The OC and his assistant (Cotton) are taking extensive notes on each play ran according to down and distance, field position, formation, etc. To think we're just pulling plays out of our ass with not basis like playstation or xbox is uninformed at best.

I guess this rant rambled on to things that were probably not even mentioned yet.

Thats a good call. I just wonder why he doesn't keep running those plays until they stop it, and not wait until later when they do. I think it'd be an improvement to force the opposing defense react to what our offense is doing...

Sorry.

I'm not sure if I'd say drastic...

I think we hired the same guy, different hair cut maybe?

We played in the Big XII, where teams refused to play defense.

In '09 and '10, against any defense that was decent, we'd struggle to put up 10 points. Now we're putting up around 30 points on really good defenses. If you don't see the drastic improvements, you're not paying attention.

nah, i'm paying attention...

The mistakes I'm seeing from both the offense and defense are pretty much the same mistakes I see from all but about 5 other college football teams in Div 1. Lots of PI calls that make D backs look bad. Receivers who sometimes drop catchable balls (not many drops by us this year to Coach Fischers credit). Qb's who make bad decisions. Coach Beck is between a rock and a hard place with this offense. Our O line is decent but not dominant. The receivers are very good. Taylor M can be a feast or famine type of player. One thing I like about this team and especially the offense is their never say die attitude.

• Fire 1

The two games we've lost this year we've scored 30 vs UCLA and 38 vs OSU. Unless your'e playing Oregon that seems like enough to win most games.

Guess you don't remember the UCLA game too well. Plenty of time on the clock, and he's got T-Mart winging the ball all over, when running the ball would have gotten the job done. Beck uses his head, doesn't go pass crazy, mixes the pass and run, we score a TD and things are vastly different...

The two games we've lost this year we've scored 30 vs UCLA and 38 vs OSU. Unless your'e playing Oregon that seems like enough to win most games.

Guess you don't remember the UCLA game too well. Plenty of time on the clock, and he's got T-Mart winging the ball all over, when running the ball would have gotten the job done. Beck uses his head, doesn't go pass crazy, mixes the pass and run, we score a TD and things are vastly different...

Had the defense given the offense some breathing room we wouldn't of had to pass the ball. Simple.

Sorry.

He was clearly including this year, which you left out:

2012: Rush Yds Per Game 264 Pass Yds Per Game 225 Points Per Game 39.3

And we haven't played Minnesota yet.

yeah, and...

2009 Rush Yds Per Game 147 Pass Yds Per Game 175 Points per game 25

Had the defense given the offense some breathing room we wouldn't of had to pass the ball. Simple.

There was plenty of time on the clock. It's obvious the game wasn't being watched.

Dont know if this was mentioned yet. I spent the middle stages of the game griping about no zone reads being ran. It was obvious early they couldnt stop it, but when we finally went back to it later, there was nothing. Maybe because Beck already saw adjustments being made. I'm realizing more and more with each one of these heart attacks that it's a 60 minute game and that our players and coaches understand this as much as anyone and that it's ok to pick a probe a bit, especially on a defense as good as theirs and make adjustments accordingly. I'm not talking about the exaggerated adjustments that are blown out of proportions here. "We won, we made adjustments. We lost, we failed to make adjustments, derpa derpa"

I'm talking about little things that we dont notice such as alinments and minor changes in blocking. Maybe making splits a footwider so the lineman can get to that backer. Little things like that. The OC and his assistant (Cotton) are taking extensive notes on each play ran according to down and distance, field position, formation, etc. To think we're just pulling plays out of our ass with not basis like playstation or xbox is uninformed at best.

I guess this rant rambled on to things that were probably not even mentioned yet.

This is what I am talking about...The zone read was working and they couldn't stop it so why go away from it? It is fine to throw some plays in here and there that are different, but don't get away from what has been working. This is what has been frustrating me with Beck.

Don't get me wrong, I jumped up and down and high-fived and hugged and all the rest when we won this game. That last drive will be cemented in Husker lore. But the realist in me can't help but see that we've needed three crazy comebacks to beat three really average teams from a really bad conference. And our issues with penalties, turnovers and general lack of discipline/focus are not improving, now three-fourths of the way into the season. I don't claim to be smart enough to know where all the problems are originating, but I know Bo is ultimately responsible for figuring out and fixing it. I hope he doesn't wait till s*** hits the fan down the road.

This is what I am talking about...The zone read was working and they couldn't stop it so why go away from it? It is fine to throw some plays in here and there that are different, but don't get away from what has been working. This is what has been frustrating me with Beck.

So was the sweep. AA kept getting the corner on a pretty good basis and boom he'd get 7 or 8 yds per carry.

We ran that play a lot. I don't know if we ever "went away from it", sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. When people make this complaint "why do we go away from what's working?" do they literally want the team to run the same play over and over again?

That's doesn't seem like very good strategy.

• Fire 3