Pass Interference

I do have to complement the refs for being consistent the whole game. Consistently bad. Let them play a little.

I think one of the biggest adjustments to the B1G has been to officiating.

100% agree. I guess the B1G isnt used to the forward pass. I don't remember complaining this much about PI in the Big12.

Big officiating is all around bad. Both ways. It changes the game to much. The Stafford call gave them a TD for a 10 point lead and a possible clincher, then later a possible bogus (though I think it was PI) with seconds left to give us the win.

I say again. Even if not called, we win in an overtime. Mich St was dun. DUN. They were gassed and after the negated pick 6, had mentally packed it in. We were winning this game regardless by that point.

it was def pass interference. The defender was interfering with the receivers ability to catch the pass. As to the other PI calls on our defense, I don't like PI calls like those, but as to the rules they were called correctly by judgement during the play. But I will say restricting a persons arms, is much worse than a hand on someones back when trying to catch a ball. I was surprised the pass to Ben Cotton was a no call, it seemed to me at the time that the defender played the player and not the ball.

The PI in the end zone toward the end of the game

Yes, it was PI. He tried to box out Bell. Even if he did have his head turned to see the ball (which he did) that's PI. Much more than any of the 3 against us.

I'll have to disagree on this. Having your off hand wrapped around a guy's waist before the ball gets there is clearly PI. I honestly think there might be a problem with the technique they're teaching the DBs. Having your head turn towards the ball and reaching for the ball, not trying to hold the guy's hands down is a very, very iffy call. I thought it was a terrible call, but personally was okay with it not because I'm a Husker fan, but because it was countered the completely BS late hit penalty on Stafford. That gave MSU an additional 4 points. Even without the PI call that went our way if it wasn't for that call, we would have been winning the game anyway.

You're SUPPOSED to have your off hand wrapped so that way if the receiver catches the ball, the DB can still make the tackle. The DB just can't put any kind of force on the receiver when he does it. If he does, then it's PI. The one against Ciante was questionable, but the other 2 IMO were BS calls.

Correct. This is the technique as it's taught. You are supposed to time it better because you can't do it before the ball gets there but one hand tries to knock the ball away while the other makes the tackle.

The bigger call was the personal foul on MSU on Dennard's would-be pick six. Was that legit?

Yes. They were 30 yards behind the play at the point that contact was made and the Nebraska player was "defenseless" (he was trailing the play and looking up field and got blindsided).

It was close but Adams left his feet and hit Bell way behind the play. He doesn't leave his feet and that doesn't get called IMO.

HOWEVER later on that return #27 absolutely deserved to be flagged for what he does to Abdulah along the sideline (I think around the NU 30 yard line) So regardless of the call on Adams the other incident justifes the play being called back.

The PI in the end zone toward the end of the game

Yes, it was PI. He tried to box out Bell. Even if he did have his head turned to see the ball (which he did) that's PI. Much more than any of the 3 against us.

I'll have to disagree on this. Having your off hand wrapped around a guy's waist before the ball gets there is clearly PI. I honestly think there might be a problem with the technique they're teaching the DBs. Having your head turn towards the ball and reaching for the ball, not trying to hold the guy's hands down is a very, very iffy call. I thought it was a terrible call, but personally was okay with it not because I'm a Husker fan, but because it was countered the completely BS late hit penalty on Stafford. That gave MSU an additional 4 points. Even without the PI call that went our way if it wasn't for that call, we would have been winning the game anyway.

You're SUPPOSED to have your off hand wrapped so that way if the receiver catches the ball, the DB can still make the tackle. The DB just can't put any kind of force on the receiver when he does it. If he does, then it's PI. The one against Ciante was questionable, but the other 2 IMO were BS calls.

Correct. This is the technique as it's taught. You are supposed to time it better because you can't do it before the ball gets there but one hand tries to knock the ball away while the other makes the tackle.

If it's the technique taught, then it's a problem with the coaching. I found this article this morning which also says the same thing I've been saying.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1395634-nebraskas-win-over-michigan-state-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly

It's automatic PI if your off hand is wrapped around the guy's waist as you reach for the ball. The fact that it looked the same way on each play seems to indicate the technique being taught is bad. There's clearly something off with how these guys are being taught which is indicated by the repeated penalties this team takes.