Kansas State

Late night, nothing to do. I decided to check out the Rivals team recruiting rankings. According to Rivals, KSU checks in at #85. They only hold 7 commits, 4 three star recruits and 3 two stars.

When's the last time we saw the #2 team in the nation with recruiting this slow? Obviously, they're KSU. But you have to assume kids are going to want to start jumping on soon.

Kstate is evidence that coaching matters more than recruiting. So is USC.

For every KSU there are 5 schools that recruit well and it shows year in and out.. Bama, LSU, Florida, Oregon, and Ohio state. But I totally agree, coaching is everything. Saban is a genius, as is Kelly. They get the kids they want, that fit in their system. That is the problem with USC. They just get whoever they have with a 5 star next to their name and go from there. I have always thought for us to be good (and most schools for that matter) we have to try and get the following:

1-2 5 stars- not that we will ever consistently get them, but get some big time talent in for visits and think hard about committing.

8-10 4 stars- these are the impact players we need, especially on D. We need players that can go up and get the ball, get big time sacks, and make big time blocks and pancakes when we need them most.

10-12 3 stars or lower- these are the players who didnt get evaluated or aren't quite as physically gifted but push the other players and make them worry about their starting spot. If we look at our team, I would say 60% of our starters were three stars according to one site. I think Bo really knows what to look for and does a great job with these kids.

5-10 walk ons- I love the walk-on program. These are those annoying players in practice who treat every practice like a try-out, annoy the piss out of the starters and hopefully make them work harder in return. We usually find 1 or 2 gems a class from the walk-ons.

Anyone who says that stars don't matter and don't care about rankings and all that are lying to themselves. I don't think being the #1 class is necessarily everything but I think we should strive to be in the top 20 annually. Look at the last 5-10 past NC'S and I bet all of them would have averaged in the top 10-15 in recruiting. KSU shows that you have to have a coach and recruit the right players for that system.

Recruiting is huge, I just think rankings are overrated by fans and media because they are easy to grasp. There is some rough correlation between rankings and success, but I attribute that largely to the fact that kids that go to big time programs tend to get ranked highly and those are the programs that tend to win.

If rankings were all that mattered, Texas should be winning championships every year and ksu should suck and Osborne should have never won a title. That doesn't mean that Osborne and Snyder sucked at recruiting, it means they're talented coaches that can recruit the kids they need to win. Osborne worked as hard as anyone at recruiting and fully knew its importance. Which is why anyone that thinks that recruiting isn't a priority to the current staff is delusional.

Fwiw, I agree that we should be around the top 20 in recruiting every year, as it shows we're getting generally well regarded kid and that NU is getting respect as a program, leading to increased regard for the kids we recruit.

I am of the opinion that there isnt as big of a gap between a 3 star 5.7 kid like Kenny Bell and Ameer Abdullah and 5 star kids like Robert Woods or Latwan Anderson from the same class.

But on a sidenote, there are reasons that kids get awarded 5 stars and they are usually good reasons.

KState's recruiting is underwhelming at best. They will fill up in a hurry come November and December though. Not due to on the field success, but the time where coaches can have unlimited contact with JUCOs begins.

I am of the opinion that there isnt as big of a gap between a 3 star 5.7 kid like Kenny Bell and Ameer Abdullah and 5 star kids like Robert Woods or Latwan Anderson from the same class.

But on a sidenote, there are reasons that kids get awarded 5 stars and they are usually good reasons.

KState's recruiting is underwhelming at best. They will fill up in a hurry come November and December though. Not due to on the field success, but the time where coaches can have unlimited contact with JUCOs begins.

Robert woods is better in all realms of the game but I agree that stars only tell so much

Robert woods is better in all realms of the game but I agree that stars only tell so much

While I agree that Woods is to this point the better player, I don't think he is head and shoulders above either of the guys that I mentioned as the rivals rankings would suggest.

K-State's starting defense (according to the depth chart I could find online) consists of 8 JUCO transfers, one Miami transfer (LB Aurther Brown at least thats what I think his name is) and a grand total of 2 high school players. There have always been problems with JUCO rankings (big swings both good and bad), so the fact that KSU's rankings have been horrible doesn't surprise me. What Bill (Old Balls) Snyder has done with these players is flat-out amazing.

K-State's starting defense (according to the depth chart I could find online) consists of 8 JUCO transfers, one Miami transfer (LB Aurther Brown at least thats what I think his name is) and a grand total of 2 high school players. There have always been problems with JUCO rankings (big swings both good and bad), so the fact that KSU's rankings have been horrible doesn't surprise me. What Bill (Old Balls) Snyder has done with these players is flat-out amazing.

Add that to packing your schedule with the worst OOC schedule possible and striking gold on a few JUCO kids and you have your recipe for success.

Snyder is known for not putting in a lot of time during the season recruiting. He wants his staff worrying about coaching the players that are there currently.

Snyder loads up heavily on JUCO's and grey-shirts. Then the rest are high school kids that will likely red-shirt. With the grey-shirts he takes kids from small schools or projects and develops them for generally two years (grey-shirt and red-shirt years) before they even hit the field as freshman. So a kid may come in as 6'2", 245-pounds (4.8) but after two years he is 6'2", 290-pound DT that is a good athlete. Remember this kid is still a freshman eligibility wise. Again developing and coaching up players are the key.

Snyder is known for not putting in a lot of time during the season recruiting. He wants his staff worrying about coaching the players that are there currently.

Snyder loads up heavily on JUCO's and grey-shirts. Then the rest are high school kids that will likely red-shirt. With the grey-shirts he takes kids from small schools or projects and develops them for generally two years (grey-shirt and red-shirt years) before they even hit the field as freshman. So a kid may come in as 6'2", 245-pounds (4.8) but after two years he is 6'2", 290-pound DT that is a good athlete. Remember this kid is still a freshman eligibility wise. Again developing and coaching up players are the key.

Not exactly, grey shirting is just delaying giving a kid a scholarship for a year. They are still on the team and is in practice and they could even play if they have earned that right. But they are still using a season of eligibility or a redshirt year if they do not play. They do not get to sit out a year without using eligibility unless they do not even enroll in school for that year.

Not exactly, grey shirting is just delaying giving a kid a scholarship for a year. They are still on the team and is in practice and they could even play if they have earned that right. But they are still using a season of eligibility or a redshirt year if they do not play. They do not get to sit out a year without using eligibility unless they do not even enroll in school for that year.

Not exactly. The way grey shirting works is said athlete cant have any contact with the team until the semester they are on scholarship. The way they get around it is the kid doesn't take enough credits to be considered a full time student; thus delaying the time his college clock starts.

Anybody think this might be an issue with questioning who the coach might be there? Seriously, do you think Snyder is going to coach a whole'nother 4 years? I seriously think if they somehow win the NC this year, he's hanging it up for good. Wouldnt be surprised if he did anyway. He's done his Osborne impersonation-again-and righted their ship (of course it's like pulling a sailboat of the rocks only to send towards a waterfall)