Finishing Strong - the last three games

knapplc

An aside... but one that provides context. I live in Pac12 country and the four football fans who have commented to me (knowing I am a Husker fan) all contend that NU would not fare well (actually would have little to chance) against Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford or USC --- were they to play in a bowl game.

Who gives a damn if we convince anyone we're good? I'm supposed to care what Pac-12 fans think of Nebraska? I don't give a damn what Big Ten fans think of Nebraska, let alone anyone from any other conference.

Nobody has to come here telling us we have flaws. We know. We watch the games. We see the penalties, the turnovers, the missed blocks, the kicking game, the bumbling and the confusion. We know. But there is absolutely zero reason why we cannot feel good about being 7-2 and leading our division - no matter how we got here.

This fan base is bizarre. There are those who will not let go of the 90s, who think we are (or should be, or will be soon) that team again. Then there are those for whom nothing is better than to wallow in the muck and mire of our flaws. We're not that bad, either. We're somewhere in the middle - a team with the fourth-most wins all-time, but who's had four or more losses nine of the last ten years.

We're not great right now, and a lot of times we're not even good. But for God's sake, when someone says something good about the program, there is no virtue in immediately jumping in to point out how bad we are. This is a site for Husker fans, after all.

• Fire 8

So, basically, as far as Nebraska is concerned, the most important thing is for Michigan to keep losing. The more they lose, the better. I see no way we drop games to Iowa and Minnesota. Penn State, as stated, is not a gimme, but I like our chances at home. I like our secondary. Hang onto the rock and we win this.

It's a little exhausting saying it every week, but it's hard to peg wins when the team is as careless with the football as it is. This team is not even a shadow of its potential--you're just waiting for the light to flicker fully on, and we're headed for the BCS. It's possible. It's what should happen. But, for whatever reason, I can't convince myself it will happen. Too many mistakes too consistently. Waiting for the other shoe to drop. That sort of thing.

The most important thing is for us to just take care of our business in 3 games we're supposed to win. We do that, and anything Michigan does is 100% irrelevant. We dont and lose a game, then here we are sitting here back on pins and needles hoping Ohio St. does that THEYRE supposed to do.

An aside... but one that provides context. I live in Pac12 country and the four football fans who have commented to me (knowing I am a Husker fan) all contend that NU would not fare well (actually would have little to chance) against Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford or USC --- were they to play in a bowl game.

Who gives a damn if we convince anyone we're good? I'm supposed to care what Pac-12 fans think of Nebraska? I don't give a damn what Big Ten fans think of Nebraska, let alone anyone from any other conference.

Nobody has to come here telling us we have flaws. We know. We watch the games. We see the penalties, the turnovers, the missed blocks, the kicking game, the bumbling and the confusion. We know. But there is absolutely zero reason why we cannot feel good about being 7-2 and leading our division - no matter how we got here.

This fan base is bizarre. There are those who will not let go of the 90s, who think we are (or should be, or will be soon) that team again. Then there are those for whom nothing is better than to wallow in the muck and mire of our flaws. We're not that bad, either. We're somewhere in the middle - a team with the fourth-most wins all-time, but who's had four or more losses nine of the last ten years.

We're not great right now, and a lot of times we're not even good. But for God's sake, when someone says something good about the program, there is no virtue in immediately jumping in to point out how bad we are. This is a site for Husker fans, after all.

i ended up watching the game at 2 different bars this weekend. granted the game wasn't exactly going well for us...but this sentiment is certainly not exclusive to the forums anymore. this is the first year that I've really started to hear Nebraska fans begin to come down on the team. even in 2007 90% of the venom was spewed the way of Callahan. this is a very different period than that...but similar in the growing negativity. speaking for myself, most of it is out of frustration - because you've seen what this team can be....they just can't overcome themselves to reach that potential. it's a recurring problem. one that at this point doesn't seem to have a fix. they're so close though...

So, basically, as far as Nebraska is concerned, the most important thing is for Michigan to keep losing. The more they lose, the better. I see no way we drop games to Iowa and Minnesota. Penn State, as stated, is not a gimme, but I like our chances at home. I like our secondary. Hang onto the rock and we win this.

It's a little exhausting saying it every week, but it's hard to peg wins when the team is as careless with the football as it is. This team is not even a shadow of its potential--you're just waiting for the light to flicker fully on, and we're headed for the BCS. It's possible. It's what should happen. But, for whatever reason, I can't convince myself it will happen. Too many mistakes too consistently. Waiting for the other shoe to drop. That sort of thing.

The most important thing is for us to just take care of our business in 3 games we're supposed to win. We do that, and anything Michigan does is 100% irrelevant. We dont and lose a game, then here we are sitting here back on pins and needles hoping Ohio St. does that THEYRE supposed to do.

Honestly, if Nebraska wins out, I want Michigan to win out as well, just makes us look better in the polls. I could care less about Michigan, as I am not afraid of a loss for the rest of the year.

It is a great motivational edge to a coach to get his team fired up and to keep them from overconfidence --- let them know that they have yet to prove what we know we can prove... to place a chip on their shoulder and to help them focus. False confidence kills forward progress. My response string was in response to the notion that this team should have confidence... I think not. They should have an edge... and a chip on their shoulder... that is more likely to be the mindset that takes this team to the next level. They are so close... so close to putting it together... focus will get NU there... not false confidence.

i ended up watching the game at 2 different bars this weekend. granted the game wasn't exactly going well for us...but this sentiment is certainly not exclusive to the forums anymore. this is the first year that I've really started to hear Nebraska fans begin to come down on the team. even in 2007 90% of the venom was spewed the way of Callahan. this is a very different period than that...but similar in the growing negativity. speaking for myself, most of it is out of frustration - because you've seen what this team can be....they just can't overcome themselves to reach that potential. it's a recurring problem. one that at this point doesn't seem to have a fix. they're so close though...

It's because this team is a tease. They flash moments of greatness and then proceed to crap their pants game to game, quarter to quarter, drive to drive, play to play. The line between where we're at and championship is thin. Just cross it. Stop fumbling the football. Taylor, for God's sake, stop throwing idiotic passes--play smart, take the sack, throw the ball away. In general, stop with the idiotic personal fouls. Stop playing stupid.

If the team does that, they'll stop looking 'good' and start looking damn near unbeatable. At this point in the season they've got some battle scars. They've got a lot of grit. Now turn that into intelligent play and you're set. Make Penn State beat you at your house. Don't spot them 14 points. Don't throw three picks. Don't knock yourself out of field goal range with a boneheaded penalty.

If/when this happens, we'll have earned a championship. The problem is, as a complete skeptic, watching the team win or lose making the same mistakes week after week leaves little reason for an abundance of optimism.

• Fire 2

So you are saying that as many fans have turned on the team as 2007, but yet they are so close? Are you late in taking your Schizophrenia meds? :) We win three in a row and yet fans are not happy... Yes, I know this is the wonderful world of Huskerboard...

Our only true remaining test is Penn State.

Knapp,

On the surface this is true. But, despite the newness of this B1G slate, ALL 3 of these games are annual grudge-fests. If you have any doubts look at the NW, Mich, and MSU games again. Those were ALL slobber knockers. It ain't as wild and crazy as the B12, but those were some hard hitting slug fests. As was evidenced in all three of those games ANY thing can happen.

These 3 games look like a run of Ok St, Kansas, and Kansas State (or insert whatever B12 slate suits your fancy). I have little doubt NU should win, but those other 3 teams are unlikely to roll-over.

Should be entertaining.

Iowa will roll over. Minnesota won't have any choice but to roll over. Neither team is any good. I'll get more in-depth with their stats and seasons as we get closer to those games, but believe me - they are not going to beat us. We may still beat ourselves, but they won't beat get the job done.

In college football anything can happen. PSU, Minnesota, and Iowa could all beat Nebraska givin a good day for themselves. But if Nebraska plays to what Nebraska is capable of playing, none of those games should be even close and should be easy Nebraska wins. If Nebraska takes care of themselves, Nebraska can get to the BIG championship game. Otherwise, I'm no betting man.