In defense of Tim Beck

I just don't get the cube stomping on Beck. Doesn't Martinez have the ability to audible out of boneheaded plays or does Beck run a dictatorship there? Being a three year starter, I'd expect Martinez to audible out of some of those "boneheaded" plays.

Taylor ran a great audible last weekend. First, he audibled, Ameer switched sides, and Cotton (?) shifted. Bullough audibled on D and shifted his D lineman. Taylor recognized it and audibled again. Zone read and TMagic is GONE down the right sideline.

Our offense is lethal. Beck is good. We need to limit turnovers.

We're seeing the fruits of this "multiplicity" everyone was worried about, myself included. The worries were of that we should try to be great at few things as opposed to good at many. I think it's safe to say that we can be great at many. And based on that article, it doesnt seem to be as complicated as this multiple of an offense would be.

• Fire 2

We're seeing the fruits of this "multiplicity" everyone was worried about, myself included. The worries were of that we should try to be great at few things as opposed to good at many. I think it's safe to say that we can be great at many. And based on that article, it doesnt seem to be as complicated as this multiple of an offense would be.

I am not +1'ing that, I am not... I refuse too... ok I fold lol.

Completely agree with you, and I think, with having the same OC, two years in a row, it helps our guys know more than just the average plays. Like the article says, it gives Beck the option to have his guys know 40 different types of Zone Read plays.

Just a couple thoughts: Sometimes I wonder if we'd have a net gain from scrapping the zone read out of the shotgun and replacing it with hand offs/tosses to our backs. Taylor would still run a little option, and he would still use the dedicated QB keeper (like on the long runs against Sparty). But the zone read out of the shotgun...it's so hit and miss. When the wrong read is made, it's such a big loss.

I know that sometimes it pays off big though, too. The TD run Taylor had against UCLA comes to mind - that was a zone read play for a 90 yard TD.

And on the play that ended up being a safety, Taylor was just a couple feet away from adding a 95 yard TD.

Well, you certainly can't attribute our losses this year to the offense. And you can't come back from double-digit deficits like we have this year without a decent offense. I think Beck is doing a stand-up job.

so when the defense held UCLA to 3 points in the 2nd half, and the offense couldn't manage anything other than a field goal and giving UCLA 9 extra points in the last 25 minutes of the game...that was still entirely on the defense?

Well, you certainly can't attribute our losses this year to the offense. And you can't come back from double-digit deficits like we have this year without a decent offense. I think Beck is doing a stand-up job.

so when the defense held UCLA to 3 points in the 2nd half, and the offense couldn't manage anything other than a field goal and giving UCLA 9 extra points in the last 25 minutes of the game...that was still entirely on the defense?

I see your point. I was just thinking 30 points in the game wasn't too shabby. It's not like we couldn't move the ball in that game.

I see your point. I was just thinking 30 points in the game wasn't too shabby. It's not like we couldn't move the ball in that game.

they certainly share plenty of the blame. I'm not calling you out directly, I just get a chuckle out of the growing theory that this is one of the best offenses in the nation...and if it wasn't for our defense we'd be sitting top 10. I'll be the first to admit the defense has it's fair share of issues - but i'd say one of the top 2-3 defensive issues is the offense turning the dang ball over so much. Cut the turnovers in half (which gives us about a 30ish ranking) and we have AT LEAST 1 more win (+ a couple blowouts that ended up close). And we would have been in the game w/ a chance to add another. With the way this team plays in the 4th quarter w/ the game in reach...it's hard to argue we wouldn't have given Ohio State a run if it wasn't so out of control. (again, the defense takes plenty of blame for that as well...but not all).

I just hope he sticks around for awhile!! I feel like the spread offense is a good fit for nebraska, b/c you dont need all 11 guys to be top of the chain elite players, it would be nice but thats not always going to happen, and if you have a decent defense then you have a good shot at all your games. With Bo i feel confident he will always have a decent defense, maybe not world stoppers but good enough, and with some more fine tuning of the offense, we will have a solid good sometimes great team. Spread offense is one of the main reasons you see a bunch of crumby teams moving the ball on bigger schools, b/c it uses the playmakers so often, and they might not have the best O-lines. obviously there are bigger schools using spread offenses as well. anyway run on sentence...

The offense had at least three chances to win the UCLA game, but started playing tight and jittery. Looked like more execution problems than play calling to me. Taylor's improved mechanics went out the window in the fourth quarter, and the o-line was suddenly getting bullrushed.

Offense and Defense can share the blame for UCLA, but honestly? If Brett Maher doesn't have the worst game of his career on both field goals and punts, we might have won after all.

The offense had at least three chances to win the UCLA game, but started playing tight and jittery. Looked like more execution problems than play calling to me. Taylor's improved mechanics went out the window in the fourth quarter, and the o-line was suddenly getting bullrushed.

Offense and Defense can share the blame for UCLA, but honestly? If Brett Maher doesn't have the worst game of his career on both field goals and punts, we might have won after all.

Quit lying, you know its because of Beck and his play calling. You didn't know he told Taylor to fumble to give them the edge? He also told Abdullah to do the same thing. Lol :sarcasm

Like I have stated in a past thread, people call it bad play calling, but if the players on the field were to execute the plays according to plan, would it still have been a bad call? The offense couldn't execute a single play, not because it was the wrong play, it was because they didn't work together like a team, and folded like a chair.

Quit lying, you know its because of Beck and his play calling. You didn't know he told Taylor to fumble to give them the edge? He also told Abdullah to do the same thing. Lol :sarcasm

Like I have stated in a past thread, people call it bad play calling, but if the players on the field were to execute the plays according to plan, would it still have been a bad call? The offense couldn't execute a single play, not because it was the wrong play, it was because they didn't work together like a team, and folded like a chair.

Not necassarily. Many time even if you execute a play perfectly but the defense has a perfect set called for it and executes their's perfectly, it could still wind up bad.