How many 'Huskerboard' members played football?

funhusker

How Many  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I went to York High School and in my 4 years there I think our football team won 3 games.

Not joking.

So no, I did not play high school football.

When did you go there? My uncle Randy was the coach there for a lot of years. When I paid attention they had some pretty good teams.

Al Bundy here!!!!!

Played in high school, way too small, (Solich was my idol). Destroyed my shoulder being ran over by Ron Podalack my sophmore year.

Charley Bryant (Nebraska strarting guard) was my football coach and wrestling coach.

Played in the Marine Corps, in base leagues and on to WestPac team. None of my coaches compared to my drill instructors, so not so concerned about the yelling and words.

Just seeing it happen on National TV. I am sure none of mine made the TV audience.

I played my freshman and senior years of high school. Senior year switched to Safety from defensive end and to quarterback from split end. I started both ways and was all-conference my senior year on defense and one vote away from being all-conference on offense as well. Basketball was more my sport and I had dreams of playing in college but scrapped that plan to focus on getting a degree in which I could make good money after college. I never would have been able to handle both. I was never big, but was fast and athletic. Had good hops for a cracker.

Our coaches were a mixed bag; head coach never yelled but some of the other guys were fairly intense. Nothing compared to that golf coach on the you-tube video though : ) One of our coaches would take players on without wearing anything. Something tells me he was a beast back in the 70s.

I went to York High School and in my 4 years there I think our football team won 3 games.

Not joking.

When did you go there? My uncle Randy was the coach there for a lot of years. When I paid attention they had some pretty good teams.

Cordes? I wasn't around when he was the coach. I think that was back in the 90s when we had Aaron Golliday! Haha. The "Glory" Years of Duke Football.

Since then, we've only had two good years. 2003 & 2012.

This year we knocked off #1 Scottsbluff in the first round of the playoffs as the #16 seed, then about pulled another shocker against Elkhorn, but lost 10-7.

I graduated in 2009 and I think we won 2 games that year (a phenomenal accomplishment at that point as we were winless the two seasons prior).

Not joking.

Cortis? I wasn't around when he was the coach. I think that was back in the 90s when we had Aaron Golliday! Haha. The "Glory" Years of Duke Football.

Since then, we've only had two good years. 2003 & 2012.

This year we knocked off #1 Scottsbluff in the first round of the playoffs as the #16 seed, then about pulled another shocker against Elkhorn, but lost 10-7.

I graduated in 2009 and I think we won 2 games that year (a phenomenal accomplishment at that point as we were winless the two seasons prior).

I see. My uncle is Randy Cordes. My cousin Mike played there and was very good; his senior year they lost to Crete in the playoffs and I think they won state that year. Mike played in the Shrine Bowl as well and went on to play at UNK as a linebacker before he destroyed his ankle. I don't think he coached for long after that year, seems like he stayed coaching track but dropped football.

I played HS football and 1 year of small college. Didn't care for it in college, they wanted too much of my time for Dlll football.

I coached HS football for 21 years before leaving the teaching profession. The intensity from BP is just his style. It doesn't really surprise me that he is like that. He came from a Catholic high school. My incounters with coaches from Catholic schools saw a lot more profanity and yelling on there part. They could get away with it more than public school teachers today.

Pelini is just old school. He is quick to anger and yell, he also cools down faster.

Had a HC change while I was playing. First two years under a coach that screamed at us but also let us know he'd do anything for us we went to playoffs consecutive years. Last two years under a coach that showed no emotion what-so-ever we won 3 games.

I understand winning does something to shape the opinion of a coach, but in the locker room it's not all about wins and losses. My first coach had a relationship with us where we respected him because he respected us and when he got in your face and made you want to do better, didn't change how we felt about him. I never put a finger in his face cause that's not how I was raised, but we had a couple guys who got pretty darn close to that point and he handled correctly - which is the same way Bo did. He knew it was a heat of the moment thing, and in those moments the rules change. In the course of a game, the line can change and no longer be at drawn at listening and answering respectively, instead it may be drawn at walking off the field and quitting, anything less than that is acceptable. It may look bad to fans, but it worked extremely well for our team and it obviously worked Saturday as Bo changed his calls and Stafford went from playing sub-par to having a pretty darn good second half.

Played the 3 years of midgets. Junior High, freshman, then the 3 years of 10-12. My interesting story-I was a senior when 9-11 happened, on a tuesday. Mondays were kind of our shakeout day. Did some light conditioning, but mostly intros into the mentals of the upcoming games and film study. Tuesdays were usually the hardest practices of the week. Lots of workout time and contact drills (we did a lot of contact drills on a normal basis anyway-been told by many that we did a lot more than many programs of our level). On this day ,9/11, this particular practice was probably twice as hard. Our line coach was 400 lbs. We would normally push the 7 man sled 10 yards or so and only do 3 reps. This day he decided to just ride on it and make us push it 15 yards for 5 reps. He was very angry about what was going on that day and for some reason was taking it out on us. All other drills and stations were increasingly difficult as well. It was just the cap on a very rough day.

We did not play well a few days later either and lost.