Huskerboard Members: Would/Do you let your kids play tackle football?

Maxconvert

I think it is wrong that a judge would even look at these cases they knew when they signed on to play that there was chance of them getting hurt.

True, but I'm guessing they were thinking of injuries like arthritis, bad backs, missing teeth, scars, and stuff like that...not dementia, depression, suicidality, and other brain disorders

I think it is wrong that a judge would even look at these cases they knew when they signed on to play that there was chance of them getting hurt.

But they didn't know. The science is new. This knowledge was not around at the time these people played. Not that it makes the lawsuit more valid but the extension of that argument is now that the school/organization DOES know about potential damage, how do they justify the risk? Who is liable?

Btw, I'm not a lawyer.

But they didn't know. The science is new. This knowledge was not around at the time these people played. Not that it makes the lawsuit more valid but the extension of that argument is now that the school/organization DOES know about potential damage, how do they justify the risk? Who is liable?

Btw, I'm not a lawyer.

I'm guessing schools will start protecting themselves by tougher rules on the field, and also making parents sign waivers stating that the parent and child waive any future claim against the school for future injuries, even once the child is an adult. A lot of parents are gonna think twice if they have to sign such a scary form to allow their kids to play Pee wee football.

I mean, I think it comes down to, how sheltered of a parent are you going to be or are? There are more incidents with kids driving while texting, than there are with kids getting hurt in football. Your kid is just as likely to get the same injuries riding a bike, 4 wheeler, dirt bike, falling off a swing or anything else that can put them in danger. So you going to tell your kid he/she can't do any of those things because of the risk of them getting injured? With all these studies today showing how dangerous things are, you might as well bubble wrap your kids, lock them in a room, and keep them from doing things that we count as fun.

This is a huge topic now for all categories of football-the impact of concussions, head injuries, and subconcussive damage to the head over time for football players. For those who haven't been following this stuff closely, one of the first experts in "chronic traumatic encephalopathy" (basically head contact related brain damage and early dementia) Robert Cantu is now recommending no tackle football for any kids until age 14 or so. This is a good article that sums it up http://www.slate.com..._and_knock.html. Apparently there's even research now that 7 year old players get as much brain jarring as adult players.

I really think ten years from now there will be a huge dropoff in the amount of kids whose parents let them play full tackle football, which will really change the game as we know it. We are just seeing the effects of rules changes right now, but eventually this will really alter recruiting.

I'm not sure it will change the game too much in regards to college football. Rural HS maybe, but you have to consider the demographic that most of these kids are plucked from. An abnormal percentage of their parents aren't concerned about something like this. I'll probably get bashed for saying this - but the kids recruited into D1 football are disproportional short on middle class white kids w/ access to or concern about this information. Those are the helicopter parents that will be preventing their kids from playing football - not an inner city single mother working 2 jobs to support her family.

Even rural areas I don't see it happening. At least here in Iowa, they are all about their football, escpecially the rural areas. I think High School football is talked about more here, than it was when I lived in Omaha. Kind of odd to me, because I don't follow High School sports, unless its got to do with Husker recruiting.

i meant more the fact that 3-4 kids sitting out dramatically impacts a rural team. and also i could see a smaller school - be it rural or a smaller private school - doing away with it entirely due to the liability before a school in the city that has a staff of 6-8 and 250+ on the team(s).

My wife emphatically says NO but I always try to sneak in the caveat that place kicker, punter, or long snapper would be alright. If you can consistently make field goals of 40+ yards, you can go to just about any school you want.

Honestly though I'd rather he play a different sport and I'll probably try to steer him towards either soccer, lacrosse, or golf.

I mean, I think it comes down to, how sheltered of a parent are you going to be or are? There are more incidents with kids driving while texting, than there are with kids getting hurt in football. Your kid is just as likely to get the same injuries riding a bike, 4 wheeler, dirt bike, falling off a swing or anything else that can put them in danger. So you going to tell your kid he/she can't do any of those things because of the risk of them getting injured? With all these studies today showing how dangerous things are, you might as well bubble wrap your kids, lock them in a room, and keep them from doing things that we count as fun.

wife is a teacher. you'd be really surprised how far some of these parents go. well you probably wouldnt' be - but growing up in rural nebraska...i'm surprised to see it. every kid is medicated for something, half see their own personal therapist. these kids have been getting "participant trophies" for the last 10-15 years...and it's to the point where the idea of competition is starting to change in our school systems.

I get where you're coming from, but this comparison between tackle football and riding a bike, etc are way off. First of all, kids riding a bike or 4 wheeler are not regularly experiencing jarring contact to their noggin. Secondly, multiple research has found that even contact that does not cause an immediate concussion can built up over time and lead to early brain disorders in adult players. Third, researchers have found brain damage on brain analysis in kids as young as high school who didn't have an unusually high rate of concussions. Fourth, all the talk about "making the game safer" relies on trusting people around you to become less effective hitters/tacklers. Qbs are supposed to trust pass rushers to not spear them in the head with their helmet. Question is, do you really trust competitive kids and their coaches to worry about your kid's safety over their chances of winning a trophy, championship, or scholarship?

wife is a teacher. you'd be really surprised how far some of these parents go. well you probably wouldnt' be - but growing up in rural nebraska...i'm surprised to see it. every kid is medicated for something, half see their own personal therapist. these kids have been getting "participant trophies" for the last 10-15 years...and it's to the point where the idea of competition is starting to change in our school systems.

Trust me, I know how far some of these parents go. My girlfriend is doing student teaching right now for Special Education. Not for the handicap kids, but for the ones having troubles learning. The medicines and the special treatments you have to give kids now days, is just INSANE. Only the future will tell where sports go lol.

Trust me, I know how far some of these parents go. My girlfriend is doing student teaching right now for Special Education. Not for the handicap kids, but for the ones having troubles learning. The medicines and the special treatments you have to give kids now days, is just INSANE. Only the future will tell where sports go lol.

that's the kicker. documenting the most insane details about a kids day just because he's lazy. sorry mom & dad, your kid is lazy. he's not "challenged", he doesn't need medication, he's not depressed, or whatever other things you're dreaming up to excuse away his shortcomings. he's lazy. that's all it is. he doesn't like school, and he's lazy. don't ask the teacher "what are you doing to help my son improve his grade" - ask yourself "what the hell did I do wrong as a parent that I raised such a worthless lazy son who's destined to be a drain on society?".