Huskerboard Members: Would/Do you let your kids play tackle football?

Maxconvert

I'm in a club that provides the youth sports for our local kids. Grades K-6. We have everything from football, BBall, Vball, Soccer, Track etc but its all non contact. All the studies and our local doctors state that its too dangerous for kids to be in contact sports until the majority of their growth plates are mature and their bone structures can handle it. The same goes with lifting weights. They really don't want kids doing that until they are almost out of high school. Then as long as there are measures taking to help prevent impact injury do they feel its ok on a limited basis. I don't know if I'd let my kids do it year around until they were young adults. And then I'd hope they can kick well.

Even though it is a serious issue, I also think it's typical of our society that it will get taken overboard. Already you see it on the field all the time, hits that are just good, solid, hard hits are being flagged. It's still football, a physical, violent game, if you're going to let them be out playing, you have to let them play. Pretty soon it will be like two-hand touch.

I do agree with some earlier posters, I think the high school level will be affected the most. Schools are eventually going to say it's just not worth it to have a football program with all the restrictions that will be in place.

I have to say, watching my son play (Nebraska class B and Div II) was probably one of my greatest pleasures in life, and everytime I go to a high school game now, I comment how much I miss watching him play. But at the same time, I'm really glad he's done and got out relatively unscathed. Funny thing is, his wife, who played D1 soccer, has much more trouble from lingering high school and college injuries than he does from football.

I probably will never reproduce but if I did I would allow and encourage them to play.

Wait, didn't you say something once about having a baby mama? lol

/Okay. I guess my sarcasm-O-meter was busted that day.

I have three boys, one of which is old enough to have played with full pads for two years. He's in 4th grade and in a leauge with weight restrictions. I'm an assistant coach for his team and he loves it. My next oldest in in 1st grade and plays flag football but wants to play full contact and likely will. Same with my 6 yr old, doesn't want to play flag, only full contact. The two younger never want to miss the eldest's practices as they learn right along with the older boys.

I've seen more injuries in Basketball at their ages than in football. Growing up, Basketball wasn't considered a "contact sport"...

I am amazed at how young some parents start having their kids play tackle football. Starting at age 7 or 8 (or even 9 or 10) really doesn't develop them to play when they are in high school. Those kids aren't learning any fundamentals or skills that can be carried forward to older ages.

I have a 6 year old son, and I won't let him play tackle football until at least the junior high level, and maybe later. Starting "late" won't hurt him any if he decides to play football in high school. If he is a good enough athlete, I am sure the coach will find a spot for him. In all honesty, my kid isn't going to play sports in college. I would rather he have a functional brain and body that he can use throughout his entire life.

Here is a pretty interesting article. Yes, it's from Deadspin, but it is relevant to this topic. http://deadspin.com/...roundtable-2012

My kid is in college and was in band. With all the stories that keep coming around I'm glad he made that choice.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1205982/index.htm

A friend of mine played O-line at Notre Dame in the 80s. I see him chewing ice a lot. I asked him about it, and he said it's to divert the pain of the headaches. Back then on nearly every play he got his head slapped by the guy across from him to try who was trying to knock him off balance and get around him. Fortunately that's not allowed anymore.

I am amazed at how young some parents start having their kids play tackle football. Starting at age 7 or 8 (or even 9 or 10) really doesn't develop them to play when they are in high school. Those kids aren't learning any fundamentals or skills that can be carried forward to older ages.

I have a 6 year old son, and I won't let him play tackle football until at least the junior high level, and maybe later. Starting "late" won't hurt him any if he decides to play football in high school. If he is a good enough athlete, I am sure the coach will find a spot for him. In all honesty, my kid isn't going to play sports in college. I would rather he have a functional brain and body that he can use throughout his entire life.

Here is a pretty interesting article. Yes, it's from Deadspin, but it is relevant to this topic. http://deadspin.com/...roundtable-2012

Good points ColradoHusk, and to each their own. Though playing football or any team sport is not just about playing the sport or being good at that sport. I knew I would never play in college but that didn't stop me from playing and learning. It teaches responsibility, coordination, teamwork, etc. There's far more to it than just playing.

I run a business and coach other business owners. There are a lot of annalogies between sports and business which I probably woudn't be able to relate to if I hadn't played.

Good points ColradoHusk, and to each their own. Though playing football or any team sport is not just about playing the sport or being good at that sport. I knew I would never play in college but that didn't stop me from playing and learning. It teaches responsibility, coordination, teamwork, etc. There's far more to it than just playing.

I run a business and coach other business owners. There are a lot of annalogies between sports and business which I probably woudn't be able to relate to if I hadn't played.

I am a huge proponent of team sports. My son currently plays baseball and soccer, and he loves team sports. I have been involved in sports pretty much my whole life. I agree to the points you made above regarding team sports. I just think that youth tackle football is not something that needs to be played.