Huskerboard Members: Would/Do you let your kids play tackle football?

Maxconvert

My 9 year old son wants to play football.

My wife: no way in hell.

Me: terribly conflicted (especially noting that my son is still only 50 lbs.)

But it was grandpa, who played college ball, who took his grandson aside, ran him through the list of ailments he's suffered the past 50 years and convinced him it wasn't worth it.

The "concussion boom" isn't really an over-reaction. It's making up for decades of the NFL sweeping pervasive and disturbing injuries under the rug. The guys behind the lawsuits are some of the toughest pro football sonsabitches ever to play the game and at this point they seek accountability as much as any monetary settlement. A few years ago it was reported that the life expectancy of NFL linemen is 58 years old. Nearly 20 years of life shaved off the national average. The NFL commissioned a massive study and the results were pretty clear and pretty ugly. If you love football like I do, you really really want to ignore those findings.

As with boxing it will probably be a sport played by the underclass, willing to risk long-term health for short term riches.

I experienced concussions as a player. I do wonder whether my bouts with mild depression are linked. It is a very serious and interesting question for the future.

We didn't have an opportunity to play padded football until junior high which I think was a good thing.

However, I can say with some certainty that the playground, friday night, sunday afternoon football games we played as kids were not exactly "safe" either. I can still remember one of my friends/classmates yelling "No HEAD TACKLES, No HEAD TACKLES!!!" Which did little to discourage the act. I will say playing without pads does teach you how to tackle as opposed to hit. But there certainly werehits.

With that said, my most recent concussion occurred about a year ago, when my then 2 year old ran at me while I was watching the Huskers and managed to head butt me forehead to my chin. He nearly knocked me out. I saw stars for 30 minutes and was nauseated and dizzy for a couple hours.

With talent like that how could I possibly tell him he can't play?

No, my son has a baseball career ahead of him.

I don't think we've gotten soft, I think we've got too much technology. Super helmets let players hit harder, with harder hits come harder falls, with harder falls come more concussions. Look at rugby. That's a manly man's sport, do rubby players have near the incidence of brain injuries? Maybe they do, but I have heard others say different.

Have you seen rugby player's noses? ;)

The rugby point is worth making though. Tackling is a fine art. Done correctly it puts the blow on the shoulder and torso. The head and helmet shouldn't be involved.

If you watch old tapes from the 50s or 60s after leather helmets but before really good helmets you see some crushing "hits" but they involve much more of a shoulder/arm to the torso.

The great Chuck Bednarik hit on Frank Gifford -- legendary -- in the views I see, I don't think their helmets ever touch.

Which isn't to belittle that hit, it's to point out football is a vicious sport.

That is why these targeting the head penalties are being thrown, which is probably for the best. I think they need to be rethought though. Instead of 15 yards and a 1st down, just award a 1st down and don't move the ball.

I am amazed at how young some parents start having their kids play tackle football. Starting at age 7 or 8 (or even 9 or 10) really doesn't develop them to play when they are in high school. Those kids aren't learning any fundamentals or skills that can be carried forward to older ages.

I have a 6 year old son, and I won't let him play tackle football until at least the junior high level, and maybe later. Starting "late" won't hurt him any if he decides to play football in high school. If he is a good enough athlete, I am sure the coach will find a spot for him. In all honesty, my kid isn't going to play sports in college. I would rather he have a functional brain and body that he can use throughout his entire life.

Here is a pretty interesting article. Yes, it's from Deadspin, but it is relevant to this topic. http://deadspin.com/...roundtable-2012

I disagree 100% with this. I coach my boys teams and I can promise you each kid has learned how to properly tackle, correct angles to make plays, and the proper way to play the game. Along with friendships with some of these kids that wouldnt have friends outside of this team or school. Every thing they learn here they can and will use in jr high / high school ball. Are they going to better when they get into those grades yes but atleast they have and know what its takes and will be asked of them to a degree.

Now I am not saying kids that dont start young cant and wont be good because thats not true. You just cant say that its a waste for them to start young.

Yes, I will let my kids play, but I feel tackle football starts too early. I think it should be flag up until Jr High. Will kids benefit by playing tackle football at a younger age? Probably so, but lets get serious....the plays are simple - toss sweep and watch the fast kid take off to the sidelines and score a TD. I know some bigger schools with talent mix it up, but don't think the benefit is there for the injuries that can occur. A lot of kids won't play the same position when they are in HS anyways,

Some kids go through puberty way earlier than others which makes for the big difference.

LMAO yea just look at Imani Cross.. Man child!!

My son never played highschool football. He played Pop Warner, but was really too small. But ungodly strong. He raced motocross from 6 years old. He quit racing internationally when he was 18, and had several concussions from the sport. Reason for quitting was too many broken bones, nearly every single major bone in his body. He is 43 now and he suffers from those injuries nearly every single day. I regret letting him do the things he loved to some extent, but he never got into drugs, rarely drinks.. He has turned out to be a fantastic son.

It seems most of you have young kids, and adult guidance is needed on these sports. Most only play because you, as a parent allow it or endorse it. At 7-15 they really have no idea of what they are getting into, what the consequences are.

I ran Kawasaki Team Green from 1982-85. I was never concerned about the occasional broken finger, even arm, but saw several top motocrossers paralyzed over a year or so. Had several of my young amature riders, youngest being 9, paralyzed from the neck down. No one thought it could happer or would happen.

With all the information coming from the NFL, it really indicates as parents, you are responsible for what happens to your child. I agree that things are going to change, I see most high schools thinking seriously about having teams within the next ten years or so.

I am an old Jar Head, I do not consider myself soft, weak, but I see the writing on the wall. You can not put a 45 year old head on a 7 year old. Nothing hurts worse than seeing your child with a life time injury. It is common in both sports, motocross most likely being the most dangergous by far. I allowed mine to do it, it got out of control very quickly and became his life. TV shows about him at a very young age, if I had it to do over, I most likley would never let him have that first motorcycle.

• Fire 1

My son never played highschool football. He played Pop Warner, but was really too small. But ungodly strong. He raced motocross from 6 years old. He quit racing internationally when he was 18, and had several concussions from the sport. Reason for quitting was too many broken bones, nearly every single major bone in his body. He is 43 now and he suffers from those injuries nearly every single day. I regret letting him do the things he loved to some extent, but he never got into drugs, rarely drinks.. He has turned out to be a fantastic son.

It seems most of you have young kids, and adult guidance is needed on these sports. Most only play because you, as a parent allow it or endorse it. At 7-15 they really have no idea of what they are getting into, what the consequences are.

I ran Kawasaki Team Green from 1982-85. I was never concerned about the occasional broken finger, even arm, but saw several top motocrossers paralyzed over a year or so. Had several of my young amature riders, youngest being 9, paralyzed from the neck down. No one thought it could happer or would happen.

With all the information coming from the NFL, it really indicates as parents, you are responsible for what happens to your child. I agree that things are going to change, I see most high schools thinking seriously about having teams within the next ten years or so.

I am an old Jar Head, I do not consider myself soft, weak, but I see the writing on the wall. You can not put a 45 year old head on a 7 year old. Nothing hurts worse than seeing your child with a life time injury. It is common in both sports, motocross most likely being the most dangergous by far. I allowed mine to do it, it got out of control very quickly and became his life. TV shows about him at a very young age, if I had it to do over, I most likley would never let him have that first motorcycle.

I think we have met or you know my family skersfan. wow small world.

Would I let my kids play tackle football?

Yes.

That yes has a lot of conditional requirements, though. When I played back in middle/high school, we were out in rural Nebraska playing with helmets that were literally manufactured in the late '80s and pads that weren't even pads at all, they were more like bricks held together with duct tape. I specifically remember my right earpad falling out every other play and the coaches doing nothing about it. Not good. But as long as the equipment is up to par and the coaches and administration recognize the dangers, I will absolutely let my kids play football.

The majority of huge injuries that we're seeing now are the result of the massive increase in physicality and speed that professional athletes are attaining; levels that were unimaginable 20 years ago. Those levels are obviously not going to be seen in middle/high school. (And yes, I'm aware, freak accidents are always possible)

Excellent post +1.

Football, Dogfighting, and Brain Damage was pretty worrying when it was published. The title's a little sensational but it's a good read if you have time. I wish I could quote a passage about an autopsy of the brain of an 18-year-old who had played high school football for a couple of years.

At one time, football was almost eradicated at the college level for being too dangerous. Then the flying wedge was prohibited and the forward pass was introduced and then the game was safe enough to be played again.

The NFL and franchise owners have a lot of money invested in the game, as well as universities that have successful programs. I'd bet they'll find ways to adapt and the game will continue to survive in a little different form.

I don't think football will go in the way of boxing, although boxing also used to have a pretty broad base of participation. Muhammed Ali was probably the best thing to happen to the sport and then, as he got older, the worst thing for its popularity.

No, my son has a baseball career ahead of him.

I don't think we've gotten soft, I think we've got too much technology. Super helmets let players hit harder, with harder hits come harder falls, with harder falls come more concussions. Look at rugby. That's a manly man's sport, do rubby players have near the incidence of brain injuries? Maybe they do, but I have heard others say different.

Different rules, from what I remember tackles must be made below the waist, there needs to be a clear attempt to wrap up the opponent and no leaving the ground while making contact.

I'm not going to force my boys to play football, if they want to great, if they don't want to then that's fine. I'm completely against forcing your kids to play a sport.................mainly because I think if you're doing that you're hoping they turn into something you weren't. One of the guys I work with, his son played tackle football this past fall and is 7 or 8 years old. The kid got his first concussion the first year he played, couldn't remember anything about the play or what happened. Scary stuff, but unfortunately that's part of tackle football on some level. The risk is ALWAYS going to be there no matter what you do, you can minimize, but you can't eliminate it.

My parents started me out of flag football and then I played tackle football in Jr High. That's a bit different but I thought it was great. I have no problem with peewee football as I think it teaches the kids to be aggressive on the field. Give them confidence. I think it helps them in other sports. I believe in having kids play all sports to make them rounded athletes. Have them specialize in college.

I'm blessed with triplets (2 boys and 1 girl) and they just turned "3" the other day. My wife and I find great joy in the fact that one of the boys will grab a football in the yard and run while the other tries to tackle him (my one boy actually has good form at this age...). Meanwhile, our daughter is doing cheers from the deck, "GO BIG RED!!!".

I more enjoy watching the boys "stand up to each other" than playing football, but the fact I'll let my 3-year olds knock eachother over in a soft backyard probably means I won't have a problem with football in 5-6 years....