Beck Vs Watson

In my opinion Watson was one of the best at reviewing film and starting a game strong

2001 Colorado vs Nebraska

Big 12 Championship game against Oklahoma

2011 against Washington

2011 against Missouri

2011 against Kansas

2010 Bowl against Arizona

Watson's weakness was the inability to adjust during a game. Despite a big lead against Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game, NU couldn't move the ball after Oklahoma made defensive adjustments. The 2nd game against Washington the offense was useless the entire game because Washington adjusted to game 1.

Beck seems to be the opposite. NU starts slow and pours it on as the game transpires. The 4th quarter seems to be Beck's best even when NU has a lead and is just running the ball to kill the clock.

Which do you prefer? I am happy with Beck and consider him an upgrade over Watson, but I miss his ability to find a weakness in an opponent to start the game.

I'm sure you could cherry pick games where we started strong under Beck and finished games strong under Watson, but I get what you're saying.

I prefer Beck and consider him an upgrade. I think he's better at learning from his mistakes. He'll continue to make some as he's still inexperienced as an OC, but I think he has a high ceiling and will be a head coach sooner or later.

Beck is in tune with what Bo wants and that cohesive vision for the offense is something no team can do without. We didn't have that under Watson because what Bo wanted and what Watson was good at weren't really in the neighborhood of the same. That arrangement couldn't last forever, but now Watson can run his own thing at Louisville, and we're forging ahead with a very sweet offense under Beck, so it works out for everybody.

Beck, and it isn't even close. Count me as the happiest Husker around the day Watson was let go. Couldn't stand the guy's inability to develop a QB. His game plan never changed, his offenses never evolved or improved. The OP was right about in game adjustments, they were non existent for Watson. Beck will find something that works, and stick with it. Watson never found anything that really worked for a long period of time, and he still stuck with it. I was only amazed that we stuck with Watson for so long. We threw away some great defenses and a Conference Championship or two on the fact that our offense couldn't produce even a mere 20 or 17 point game. You can say what you want about Watson's numbers, some years they were somewhat impressive, but I'll take results. The results say Nebraska has a top 5 rushing team in the country, and a very high scoring average. Two things that win football games....running the ball well, and scoring points. By points, I mean touchdowns, not Watson and his Field Goal offense.

Watson had Ganz (07/08), Lee (09), who was injured in his throwing arm for nearly his entire career here, and then Taylor as a freshman (10).

There was Green (09, 10), who never got a redshirt year to develop, was thrown into the fire a few times and pulled quickly, and was also a project kind of guy. He evolved in his footwork but couldn't get everything down in two years.

Taylor took two full years of starting and a magnificent, self-driven offseason to become the (still mistake-prone, but much more deadly) QB he is today.

Not really following your "developing a QB" argument there, and you can see Wats' work with a less-of-a-project kind of QB than Cody or Taylor in Teddy Bridgewater at Louisville. Bridgewater is a true sophomore, I think.

Watson had Ganz (07/08), Lee (09), who was injured in his throwing arm for nearly his entire career here, and then Taylor as a freshman (10).

There was Green (09, 10), who never got a redshirt year to develop, was thrown into the fire a few times and pulled quickly, and was also a project kind of guy. He evolved in his footwork but couldn't get everything down in two years.

Taylor took two full years of starting and a magnificent, self-driven offseason to become the (still mistake-prone, but much more deadly) QB he is today.

Not really following your "developing a QB" argument there, and you can see Wats' work with a less-of-a-project kind of QB than Cody or Taylor in Teddy Bridgewater at Louisville. Bridgewater is a true sophomore, I think.

I'm not sure how you can list all of those QB's names, watch how much our offenses struggled and noT COMPLETELY SEE MY ARGUMENT. You basically listed all the projects that never really worked out better than I did.

Unless this is one of those times where sarcasm was intended and it just completely went over my head.

I don't think we win the last 5 in a row with Watson, but instead of falling behind and coming back to win I am speculating that NU would have jumped out to a lead in a couple of the games and then lost as the offense stalled. Given that, I would still like to have Watson on staff as someone who watches film and identifies a weakness in the opponent. Just keep him away from anyone who calls plays on game day.

Beck, and it isn't even close. Count me as the happiest Husker around the day Watson was let go. Couldn't stand the guy's inability to develop a QB. His game plan never changed, his offenses never evolved or improved. The OP was right about in game adjustments, they were non existent for Watson. Beck will find something that works, and stick with it. Watson never found anything that really worked for a long period of time, and he still stuck with it. I was only amazed that we stuck with Watson for so long. We threw away some great defenses and a Conference Championship or two on the fact that our offense couldn't produce even a mere 20 or 17 point game. You can say what you want about Watson's numbers, some years they were somewhat impressive, but I'll take results. The results say Nebraska has a top 5 rushing team in the country, and a very high scoring average. Two things that win football games....running the ball well, and scoring points. By points, I mean touchdowns, not Watson and his Field Goal offense.

Wait...so you're saying he was unable to develop a quarterback, even though the only quarterback he had years to develop was Joe Ganz who rewrote the record books?

So you're saying his offenses never evolved even though we went from pure west coats to west coast with spread elements to a zone read spread attack?

so you're saying that Watson was awful because he couldn't get the numbers, then you're saying that forget the numbers (since they seem to be able to favor Watson), you want results. Which is it?

Here's those 20 or 17 point games you were talking about:

Western Michigan - 47

San Jose State - 35

New Mexico State - 38

Virginia Tech - 30

Missouri - 17

Texas Tech - 31

Iowa State - 35

Baylor - 32

Oklahoma - 28

Kansas - 45

Kansas State - 56

Colorado - 40

Clemson - 26

Florida Atlantic - 49

Arkansas State - 38

Louisiana-Lafayette - 56

Missouri - 27

Baylor - 20

Kansas - 31

Kansas State - 17

Colorado - 28

Arizona - 33

Western Kentucky - 49

Idaho - 38

Washington - 56

SDSU - 17

Kansas State - 48

Oklahoma State - 51

Missouri - 31

Iowa State - 31

Kansas - 20

Colorado - 45

Oklahoma - 20

For the record, I'm no Shawn Watson apologist (since people will think so). I love Beck and think he's doing a much better job; I just think your arguments are lousy, and Watson wasn't the JV third-stringer you make him out to be.

Wait...so you're saying he was unable to develop a quarterback, even though the only quarterback he had years to develop was Joe Ganz who rewrote the record books?

So you're saying his offenses never evolved even though we went from pure west coats to west coast with spread elements to a zone read spread attack?

so you're saying that Watson was awful because he couldn't get the numbers, then you're saying that forget the numbers (since they seem to be able to favor Watson), you want results. Which is it?

Here's those 20 or 17 point games you were talking about:

Western Michigan - 47

San Jose State - 35

New Mexico State - 38

Virginia Tech - 30

Missouri - 17

Texas Tech - 31

Iowa State - 35

Baylor - 32

Oklahoma - 28

Kansas - 45

Kansas State - 56

Colorado - 40

Clemson - 26

Florida Atlantic - 49

Arkansas State - 38

Louisiana-Lafayette - 56

Missouri - 27

Baylor - 20

Kansas - 31

Kansas State - 17

Colorado - 28

Arizona - 33

Western Kentucky - 49

Idaho - 38

Washington - 56

SDSU - 17

Kansas State - 48

Oklahoma State - 51

Missouri - 31

Iowa State - 31

Kansas - 20

Colorado - 45

Oklahoma - 20

For the record, I'm no Shawn Watson apologist (since people will think so). I love Beck and think he's doing a much better job; I just think your arguments are lousy, and Watson wasn't the JV third-stringer you make him out to be.

Seems like a lot more than I remember. I guess I only remembered the big ones. Darn selective memory. Oh well. By the way, it took Ganz 5 years to run that offense. A lot of times guys don't get 5.

I'm saying I like Beck, I couldn't stand Shawn Watson. I'm stating the facts as selective as they may be, that support my opinion. Your stating the facts that support the fact that you clearly have a deep semi scary infatuation with Shawn Watson. I can live with that.

I'm not sure how you can list all of those QB's names, watch how much our offenses struggled and noT COMPLETELY SEE MY ARGUMENT. You basically listed all the projects that never really worked out better than I did.

Unless this is one of those times where sarcasm was intended and it just completely went over my head.

Ganz didn't work out? Ganz is the very definition of a system QB who despite not having the physical tools, flourished after years of work behind the scenes.

Lee was off to a hot start and then wrecked his throwing arm. Whose fault is that?

Watson had Taylor for one year. Taylor was probably one of the rawest QBs in the nation at the time, he only started playing pretty late in high school and he's still working on his mechanics to this day. And Taylor was also lighting up the world when he wasn't making mistakes that year, until he got that ankle injury.

My point is that no OC was going to run with Taylor or Cody and not have a lot of growing pains in their early years. If we recruit another Taylor and throw him out as a freshman you can expect the same thing from Beck or anybody else. Our guys like Tommy Armstrong now are not the kind of projects that Cody Green was -- physical stature and athleticism but needed a hell of a ton of work on his passing.

Both Cody and Taylor made strides in their footwork under Watson, which is to his considerable credit (Taylor's progress was derailed by his ankle injury; nobody's fault, really). And as I mentioned, Cody never got a redshirt year to develop as a QB. His progress was nice, but it's no surprise he was mistake-prone and unpolished when he did get thrown into the fire.

I mean look at Beck's work with Taylor in 2011. A lot of struggling and that was year 2 of Taylor. But that's not on Beck, it's the nature of the beast. When you work with project athletes who are more athletes than QBs then you'll get your struggles. Thank goodness Taylor put in serious work this past offseason, he's a changed man.