Wisconsin vs Penn State Strategy

RedTexan

I understand the keeping your comments respectful part but does anyone else feel like penn st has gotten the sympathy card way too much this year?

Yeah it wasn't the players fault but they still represent the ugliest and dirtiest program / institution in the country. I never cared for penn st before but I will forever condemn a program that allowed those things to happen. Less than a year from the story and it's not even talked about by the media other than the mention of the "scandal" and how tough their scholly loss will be.

I'm sorry but that program aided and covered up unforgivable acts. I have a hard time respecting anyone associated with the program because it is PENN ST. I know that's a ME issue but the media has been kind to psu this season IMO.

I agree with you, but its not the thread to discuss that in. They got what they deserved and will always be tarnished.

I could see Wisc resting guys in the 2nd quater. If i were a coach I would, Penn st isnt playing for anything and you have a conference championship you could STEAL and get to play in the Rose bowl.

With Wisconsin meeting Nebraska next week, what do you think their strategy will be for tomorrows game? With the weather for tomorrow's game expected to be much like todays Nebraska/Iowa game (maybe slightly warmer) with a 30% chance of rain, does Wisconsin rest their starters as much as possible by liberally substituting during the game or do they feel they need to go all out so they don't limp into the Big Ten Championship game with a 4-4 conference record?

As the breeze has already hinted at: Wisconsin has already punched their ticket to the BIG title game. Their game against Pedophile State matters only if "pride" is factored into the conference standings.

In other words Wisconsin could lose this game 782-0 and they'd still be headed to Indianapolis.

Edit: If I was Brett Bielma I'd rest all my #1's and let the #2's and lower play because win or lose the Badgers are still headed to the BIG title game.

Sports is about momentum, confidence and belief. Why in the world would take a team like wisconsin who is playing the best football they have all year even with a third sting qb and surrender a game to rest and come up with trick plays? You won't. A lot of these players and coaches got this far bc they are competitive and I guarantee you thy will be doing everything to win. A convincing win over penn state is just as important as keeping everyone healthy. There confidence is really all they have going for them. There is no such thing as playing vanilla at this point. This isn't a video game where u have unstoppable trick plays that u haven't shown. At some point u just have to line up and beat the other team and usually December is that time where there is no faking it

How many chances will you get to have bad record and still win the whole B1G? If I were coaching Wiscy, I wouldn't even remember who I was playing (Penn who?), everything would be geared toward keeping guys healthy and showing NU a bunch of crazy stuff to prepare for.

So you wouldn't care about winning the game? You go in with no game plan, and not caring, your going to get blown out by Penn State, and be a laughing stock of the conference. They beat PSU, and come out strong, that will give them the momentum for us.

Wisconsin will probably do what they have been doing all year long, make big plays on Special Teams, and run that ball down the opponents throat. Get Ball that TD to own the his record, and focus on NU starting Sunday. There will be film to watch, but they have played us already. That gives them and us the advantage.

That is correct, I wouldn't care about winning a meaningless conference game. I'd take it if it fell in my lap of course.

100% of my game plan would be toward winning a meaningful conference championship.

If you're not playing to win a championship this year, next year, some other year, what the hell are you doing in athletics?

The reason they are in athletics and have gotten this far is because their attitude towards competition is exactly opposite of your idea above

Nobody wants to back into the title game. You see NFL teams do this garbage all the time and they usually come out flat for the playoffs and lose early. Football is about more than just physical health. If a team doesn't have that mental focus they will come out poorly. That's why the bowl layoff can be rough on teams. The best thing Wisconsin could do for us is to not care about penn state....

Wisconsin will play hard and if the opportunity presents itself will rest their guys. However their backfield is just as deep and talented as NUs. They can rest up their horses by splitting Carries between ball, white, and Gordan

I think the bigger fix may take place out west. If you are UCLA do you play for the w and potentially get Oregon in the conference championship or make a decent showing, lose to Stanford and throw the playbook at them a week later in a rematch. This is more intriguing to me than the psu wiscy game

Wisconsin will play hard and if the opportunity presents itself will rest their guys. However their backfield is just as deep and talented as NUs. They can rest up their horses by splitting Carries between ball, white, and Gordan

I think the bigger fix may take place out west. If you are UCLA do you pay for the a and potentially get Oregon in the conference championship or make a decent showing, lose to Stanford and throw the playbook at them a week later in a rematch. This is more intriguing to me than the psu wiscy game

I know I personally hope that's what happens.

I understand the keeping your comments respectful part but does anyone else feel like penn st has gotten the sympathy card way too much this year?

Yeah it wasn't the players fault but they still represent the ugliest and dirtiest program / institution in the country. I never cared for penn st before but I will forever condemn a program that allowed those things to happen. Less than a year from the story and it's not even talked about by the media other than the mention of the "scandal" and how tough their scholly loss will be.

I'm sorry but that program aided and covered up unforgivable acts. I have a hard time respecting anyone associated with the program because it is PENN ST. I know that's a ME issue but the media has been kind to psu this season IMO.

I know this is kind of off topic and I don't like really talking about this subject but my dad who is a trucker heard that alot of people on campus knew about what was going on and they had a sandwich or hot dog or something called the Sandusky. I'll say this is probably just a rumor but if it has any credibility than it's quite a disturbing bit of information.

I know this thread isn't about the original PSU thing, but I agree that the sports media (mostly ESPN) has tried to play this into some sort of tragedy against poor Penn State, and how they've bravely faced the tragedy of NCAA penalties, etc. It's ridiculous. I agree that this wasn't the fault of the current players or Bill Bradley's staff, but to act like poor PSU is facing some undue hardship compared to the extremely heinous crimes the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPT leadership perpetuated for years is absurd. Frankly I think the NCAA penalties were peanuts compared to the crime committed--PSU should have beencompletely banned for 4-5 years. I have no trouble saying that I will openly root against PSU for what happened because I feel like they got off easy. Sorry if that offends our visitors from Happy Valley, but it's not being snide, it's a real perspective that a lot of fans share.

Look here's the deal. I thought the program deserved the sanctions. Something had to be done. A precedent had to be set. That program and it's overall well-being is the reason the cover-up took place to begin with. Now, this team, this program, this staff and roster had absolutely nothing to do with it. They are playing under sever sanctions for something they had nothing to do with. ALL the folks who did have a hand in it are dead, in prison, or heading for prison. So it leads to the fact that comments regarding this issue such as Pedd state or pedo u are unacceptable. It's crap. It's disrespectful to a program that is trying to start over the right way. Disrespectful to a group of players and coaches over there trying to start it over the right way. And, most of all, disrespectful to the victims. GET OVER IT. It's dun. Dont be the ass the keeps plugging at it.