Had a very bad experience at the iowa game

I'm only believing this to a point. He says he's blitzed, his GF is kind of a "rebel" type, yet they were doing absolutely nothing, and lo and behold they were being picked on. I'm 100% sure this is what happened.

As a side note, I've been to half a dozen away games, so I'm not an expert compared to a lot of people, but guess what, fans tend to get pissed when you're cheering against their team. I've been told to sit down, shut up, go home, called a hick, red neck, etc, and I dont care. For the most part away games are fun, sometimes you run into jerks. Its what happens, you do your best to have fun, and cheer your team....

His story started to fall apart at the "We were underage and wanted to get our drink on."

Yup, at that point, I lost all sympathy.

Well, I think you ultimately have to respect those sitting behind you; it doesn't matter if your in Lincoln or away site. I stand all game when I have the chance, when I have the agreement of those behind me (they wouldn't put seats or benches if there wasn't an expectation that most would be sitting).

During the 2010 Mizzou game in Lincoln, I sat most of the game because those behind me (and in front) were sitting. During this season's away games I attended, I was able to stand all game due to my location (UCLA) and essentially getting the permission of those behind me (Northwestern).

I think you always need to be gracious, especially in others' stadiums. They paid for their tickets too.

Do you have a copy of a printable permission slip to pass around? ;)

The issue is not so much people not wanting to stand as it is the way that people are asked to sit down. In my experience, it is almost never a polite request. At the Minny game, a completely sober younger guy and his mom were standing in the first quarter. A jackass about 5-6 rows behind him yells in a get-off-my-lawn tone "Hey! HEY YOU IN THE GRAY! SIT DOWN!!"

Don't take it personally - some Iowa fans will yell at Iowa fans to sit down. It happens everywhere.

I will say I almost got to watch a fight in the stands. 2 drunk obnoxious Nebraska fans were sitting behind 2 drunk and obnoxious Iowa fans. It alternated between being funny and being annoying to the rest of us around. Lot of yelling but it never got to blows because the other Iowa fans around were trying to keep them at least calm enough to not swing.

Lol I went to go read the story, and it was edited hahaha. The kid was talking about getting drunk and high, while being a minor and going to the Iowa game in another thread, so I could imagine why it was edited. I have no problem with people who get high, but I don't think its something to be bragged about over the internet, on a public forum.

My girlfriend's mother said the fans in her section were welcomed and talked to all game, section 108. She was surprised on how generous the Husker fans were being there. She was expecting us to be like ISU, OSU or Wisconsin fans when they visit, all rude and as she stated "rub the win in your face". If that is the case when others come to Iowa City, I can see why some of them are stern or counted as rude.