December 4, 1999

ZRod

Maybe I'm reading into your "modest" comment wrong.

Probably. That's why I wrote "relatively" modest, as we were coming off a recent string of national championships, and Crouch/Alexander/Buckhalter and the '99 Husker D never felt the equivalent of Frazier/Phillips/Green and the '93 -'97 Husker D, or even the great teams of the early '80s. It felt like we were rebuilding in 1999 and it turned out we were kicking ass.

For the record, in 1999 I was throwing myself an awesome 40th birthday party.

Man were those the days, I was a Nebraska All-State high school football player in 1994 and was obssessed with everything about Nebraska Football. I had dreams of playing there, but ended up with a one semester stint at Doane before hanging the pads an helmet up for good. Not playing in college wasn't all bad though, I remember making a deal with my buddies that we would do shots everytime Nebraska scored in that '98 Fiesta Bowl--needless to say, several shots and empty suitcases of Keystone Light(give me a break, we were broke college kids) later, I had felt the elation of witnessing the greatest team in the history of college football lay the smack down on the Gators. I hated Spurrier then and I still have a strong dislike for him today.

That run made me feel the Huskers were invincible, so the progression of events since that day are hard to accept. The period of decline will make the next national title we win will be the sweetest one yet!!! I have a feeling we are closer to that dominance than a lot of people realize!!

You're right, I had forgotten it was Peyton. Was that a Heisman year for him as well? Cannot recall that.

Either way, it was awesome to see the Huskers shred one of the best QB's in CFB history. I now remember a huge number of sacks, too. It seemed like Peyton spent more time on his face than on his feet in that game. What a hoot!

For many years, I kept a copy of the Knoxville newspaper, which a friend had sent me after the game. Their editorial included a line like this, paraphrased: "It was Big, it Was Red, it was Hungry. And it left an Orange smudge at midfield. That was all that remained of the Volunteers after four quarters in a massacre that staked Nebraska's claim to another championship."

Close to that, I think. Maybe I can find it online.

I never did drugs in my life, but I swear I felt high through almost all of the 90's.

Peyton never won the Heisman, Charles Woodson won it in '97.

It seemed, at those times, there was no debate about "winning".

The only debate I recall was "how much will we win by?"

The answer usually seemed to be many touchdowns. It was a disappointment, most games, if we won by less than 14 or 17. Sometimes, after those games, we debated what "went wrong" lol, and worried about whether this coach or that, was losing it. I guess this explains why we frustrate fans of some other teams.

This is what I remember. I was eight and my parents wouldn't let me stay up to watch the 9:30 kickoff of the 96 Arizona State game, and when I got up the next morning and they told me we got shut out I literally did not believe them. I had never seen Nebraska lose.

I was in 3rd grade in 1999 and I remember going to my neighbors for the '96 Arizona State game. Our neighbor's family were huge husker fans and the father loved to yell. When we went to sporting events he was the one to get on the refs in a hurry and yell less than appropriate things at them. It was always the refs fault. That night I think I learned every cuss word in the dictionary thanks to Scott Frost and his inability to do anything but be terrible, according to my neighbor. That may have been the saddest 500 foot walk home in my childhood.

(My neighbor was a good man who was only guilty of being too passionate and passed away with his wife in a motorcycling accident. He would have been happy to know we left Texas to their devices in a crappy conference to go to the B1G.)