Worst weather at Memorial Stadium

papersun87

'93 Oklahoma - the coldest by far. Drove out from Wisconsin, spent Thanksgiving with my grandma who was also celebrating her 70th birthday that week.

I was 16 and I sat with my cousin in the top row of the southwest balcony. Section 121. This was before the skyboxes, so there was literally nothing behind us except a chain link fence with some sort of red tarp draped over it. It was flapping in the wind hard all day. Went on the field and touched the goal posts, which were GONE. Cold or not cold, that place was ROCKIN'. First time we'd been 11-0 in a decade.

I made an ABC sign that said "Another Bone Chiller" one one side which my brother stole from me... they get on TV during the broadcast and Brent Musberger makes at least four or five references to it during the course of the game. The other side had Beavis and Butt-head (it was 1993) burning an OU flag and yelling "FIRE!".

Possibly my favorite game of all time out of any I've been to.

Honorable mensch:

- 96 Colorado game which we won but the entire D got the flu and was gassed vs. Texas

- 95 or 97 Iowa State game which had an early morning kickoff and won 77-14 or something ridiculous.

- 2010 Kansas night game. Sat under the west balcony with a pillar in front of me and I was annoyed.... until I moved 10 rows down into the open air in the fourth quarter where it swore it was 15 degrees colder.

Great thread.

Nastiest weather I've ever experienced attending a game at Memorial Stadium was our 17-12 win over #5 Colorado. We were #4 at the time, and that win propelled us to #3. Unfortunately it was this nasty weather game that I'm convinced gave half our team the flu, which killed us (and our very likely trip to the national title) the following week in the Big 12 championship vs Texas.

I don't want to stray into that awful topic, so I'll finish by saying that after the game I threw my cold, soppy clothes in the dryer, pulled them out and put them back on, and (God is my witness) those hot clothes never felt so good :)

I also remember the

Great thread.

Nastiest weather I've ever experienced attending a game at Memorial Stadium was our 17-12 win over #5 Colorado. We were #4 at the time, and that win propelled us to #3. Unfortunately it was this nasty weather game that I'm convinced gave half our team the flu, which killed us (and our very likely trip to the national title) the following week in the Big 12 championship vs Texas.

I don't want to stray into that awful topic, so I'll finish by saying that after the game I threw my cold, soppy clothes in the dryer, pulled them out and put them back on, and (God is my witness) those hot clothes never felt so good :)

That game was in 1996 (forgot to mention that).

Another game worth mentioning is the '97 win over Iowa St. We killed them 77-14 after scoring 28 points in the first 6 minutes of the game. Our team was hot that day in spite of -10 degree weather and snow. All the scoring made the game a delight to watch even in that cold.

I was at the 2006 Texas game, when it started to snow. Wasn't too cold, but it was odd that it started to snow.

That was a great game despite the loss, and you experienced true Nebraska weather changing on a whim. Cloudy, sunny, snow, sun/snow, then sunny again.

I was at that game as well, that weather was really weird that day and my wife was freezing. We had three Texass fans in front of us that were really great guys. But one of them turned around just before they eventually won the game and said, "Well great win for you guys and you have a good team, appreciate the hospitality." I immediately said, "You f-ing a-hole you don't say things like that before the game is over!" He laughed and said I was right when they won the game.

It might not be the "worst" weather as far as sitting in the stands as a fan, but in my senior year in 1986, during the last home game of the year vs. K-State was a pretty good blizzard. It snowed so much during the first half you couldn't see any of the yard markers. It was pretty much a whiteout. They even cancelled the band's halftime performance so the field could be plowed. It took more than 1/2 hr. Luckily it wasn't 10 below and the winds weren't 50 miles an hour, but it was a crazy scene seeing the plow go up and down the field during halftime!

You young'uns are wimps! Global warming has made you soft! In my day we used to sit through blizzards to watch our Huskers and enjoyed it! :D

This was a memorable game. I remember looking at the snow covered field in the fourth quarter and there wasn't a Mildcat footprint on our side of the field. IIRC stayed to the end of this beatdown.

http://www.huskermax...ansasstate.html

i was there, as well. not particularly cold, though. the worst was the deluge in the Auburn game from 81. i have never seen it rain so hard for so long in my life. terrible to watch a game in.

You young'uns are wimps! Global warming has made you soft! In my day we used to sit through blizzards to watch our Huskers and enjoyed it! :D

This was a memorable game. I remember looking at the snow covered field in the fourth quarter and there wasn't a Mildcat footprint on our side of the field. IIRC stayed to the end of this beatdown.

http://www.huskermax...ansasstate.html

This is the game I thought of while reading this thread. My brother and I were at the game and we stayed until the end. The next year at a family reunion we found out that our uncle was at the game in the section next to us. The rest of his group went to the van at halftime but he stayed for the whole game. We were all so bundled up we didn't even know we were sitting that close to each other.

Thanks for the memories.

OU game in 91. Road were slicked over and I had to drive about 25 miles an hour from York to Lincoln. The Ou game in 93 was cold too, but I drank a bunch of Wild Turkey that I brought in to the stadium and ended up puking outside the west side steps on my way home. I took off my coat in the 3rd quarter.

I remember an Ia St game in '96 or '97 the wind chill was said to be -40 or more. I thought that was cold until the absolutely miserable day last week in Iowa City.

I don't remember the year either, but I was there with my Dad and two cousins, all dressed in FULL winter garb (overalls, hood, gloves, stocking hat) and we still left our seats to watch the game from the field level down by the bricks to ge out of the wind...

The 90 game with the Buffs was miserable. The monsoon the game was played in had players hydroplaning five yards after hitting the Astroturf. Not to mention the kicker of sCUm scoring nonstop in the fourth quarter wiping out NU's 12-0 lead. Damn you Eric Bienemy and Darian Hagan.

Also was my first game.

Went to the game in Boulder the next year, and that was the coldest game ever. The snowballs were flying around all game, including the attempted game winning FG. And yes the battery stories were true

I know it wasnt in Lincoln but the coldest game I've ever sat through so far was the big 12 ship in Arrowhead against OU in '05 I think. It was in the teens all day and they just had snow the day before I believe. It made it worse having to listen to the OU band every ten seconds though!

To make matters worse, our seats were the first row of the upper deck, the walkway was icy, and narrow, and the railing only came up about knee high.