The block by Kenny Bell.

Football is over. We just dont know it yet. Wait till they blame the Chiefs/Jevon Belcher incident on concussions/head trauma. It's only gonna get worse.

Sorry I had to bring that up again. But it supports my point.

Sadly youre correct. I just wish if they're going to decide to go to flag football or put lighted targets (think laser tag) on the players of where its legal to hit them, they would do it already, and make the rules clear so that the players, coaches, refs, and fans are all on the same page of what is a legal hit. I can't stand it when a flags are thrown, yet no one knows what anyone did wrong.

I hate that I'm either going to have to forget about that hit, and Taylor's TD run on 3rd and 11, or associate them with the train wreck we saw tonight.

Do neither and do what I'm going to do. Watch the recorded part on my DVR of Taylor's TD run and we're down 7, then piece together the Kenny Bell it (getting rid of the scoreboard) and take those to mean we played well.

That was a bogus call for certain. There was no helmet to helmet.

The Golden Tate block was in a different league, the NFL, where they have a rule against spearing under the chin with the helmet, which Tate definitely did. Oddly, he was not penalized for it, but was fined for it. Different play, different league.

Football is over. We just dont know it yet. Wait till they blame the Chiefs/Jevon Belcher incident on concussions/head trauma. It's only gonna get worse.

Sadly youre correct. I just wish if they're going to decide to go to flag football or put lighted targets (think laser tag) on the players of where its legal to hit them, they would do it already, and make the rules clear so that the players, coaches, refs, and fans are all on the same page of what is a legal hit. I can't stand it when a flags are thrown, yet no one knows what anyone did wrong.

A while back Mike and Mike had an interesting conversation with some dude high up in the officiating office of the NFL. It got pretty heated when Mike Golic demanded that he specifically define what players are supposed to do now. It was after Ed Reed was suspended for a hit, and before the suspension was reduced to a fine.

This is the problem. The hits are happening way to fast for proper judgment and caused widespread inconsistency. Sure the Stafford hit and Bell hits looked bad, but as it turns out, not a fraction of bad as the wiscy defender that stuck his helmet up under Taylor's chin.

Over the last couple years, you have seen defenders beginning to make a conscious effort to make the right hit. 5 years ago, kenny bell probably leads with his head, going head to head. Tonight he goes shoulder to chest and it's still not good enough. The problem I see arising from this is guys saying to hell with it. I'm gonna get flagged anyway, so I might as make the hit regardless. I see a reverse effect possible happening here.

If these goons in charge of this thing want to correctly police this situation, they need to take the flags out of the hands of the officials, let the hits happen unpenalized, and then review the hits after the game and pass out necessary suspensions. in this case, Bell and Stafford are scott-free, while Borland and the doosh that hit Taylor under the chin are not playing in the bowl game. That would have a much great positive effect on this concussion bs. Right now, the wrong hits are the ones getting penalized.

• Fire 4

I'm not really sure what your point is-- that TBIs aren't real? That TBIs cannot lead to severe changes in personality, loss of inhibition, impaired reasoning, which can culminate in aggressive, irrational mood swings? Do you think you'll be somehow vindicated if they do find evidence of severe brain trauma (I mean, that didn't happen at the time of his death)? Head trauma is very real and has long-lasting repercussions and to act like it's just somebody trying to-- what? Ruin football? That there is a cabal of neurologists and brain-trauma experts who are out to make your weekend somewhat less entertaining?

There is a plethora of data out there regarding changes in violent behavior, aggressive acts, and suicide attempts after a TBI. The connection is pretty real and well outside random chance.

That being said, I don't think that hit should have been flagged esp. if the suplex on Martinez wasn't flagged as well.

Bell's block was our best play of the night. Terrible call...guess you can't block a pursuing defender? And Borland...lost all respect for that clown. Someone on the team would have been justified laying him out.

but that would have required someone on the team, at that point, giving a damn

couldnt agree more i think some players on this team quit tonight, i just dont see how you try your hardest and give up 70 points

A while back Mike and Mike had an interesting conversation with some dude high up in the officiating office of the NFL. It got pretty heated when Mike Golic demanded that he specifically define what players are supposed to do now. It was after Ed Reed was suspended for a hit, and before the suspension was reduced to a fine.

This is the problem. The hits are happening way to fast for proper judgment and caused widespread inconsistency. Sure the Stafford hit and Bell hits looked bad, but as it turns out, not a fraction of bad as the wiscy defender that stuck his helmet up under Taylor's chin.

Over the last couple years, you have seen defenders beginning to make a conscious effort to make the right hit. 5 years ago, kenny bell probably leads with his head, going head to head. Tonight he goes shoulder to chest and it's still not good enough. The problem I see arising from this is guys saying to hell with it. I'm gonna get flagged anyway, so I might as make the hit regardless. I see a reverse effect possible happening here.

If these goons in charge of this thing want to correctly police this situation, they need to take the flags out of the hands of the officials, let the hits happen unpenalized, and then review the hits after the game and pass out necessary suspensions. in this case, Bell and Stafford are scott-free, while Borland and the doosh that hit Taylor under the chin are not playing in the bowl game. That would have a much great positive effect on this concussion bs. Right now, the wrong hits are the ones getting penalized.

Props for a great post. I also wondered if it might work if the league made it legal for a ref to pick up a flag after he saw the replay. With how fast the game is, it's easy to see how the ref probably thought it was a helmet-to-helmet hit. How much do you want to bet a ref has thrown a flag and then sees the replay up on the big screen and thinks, "Oops, I blew that one," but can't do anything about it.

I'm not really sure what your point is-- that TBIs aren't real? That TBIs cannot lead to severe changes in personality, loss of inhibition, impaired reasoning, which can culminate in aggressive, irrational mood swings? Do you think you'll be somehow vindicated if they do find evidence of severe brain trauma (I mean, that didn't happen at the time of his death)? Head trauma is very real and has long-lasting repercussions and to act like it's just somebody trying to-- what? Ruin football? That there is a cabal of neurologists and brain-trauma experts who are out to make your weekend somewhat less entertaining?

There is a plethora of data out there regarding changes in violent behavior, aggressive acts, and suicide attempts after a TBI. The connection is pretty real and well outside random chance.

That being said, I don't think that hit should have been flagged esp. if the suplex on Martinez wasn't flagged as well.

My point is that football as we know it is over because of everything you indepthly described. Question is what is your point? Maybe we're just agreeing in a weird kind of way.

Since I said I would be in this thread when it was created, here I am. But I don't believe I was wrong.

Bell.gif

There is helmet to helmet contact there. His helmet is not over the guy's shoulder, you can see it right up in the other player's helmet. I'm not ragging on Kenny Bell, nor would I discipline him if I was a coach.

But from the ref's point of view, if you block someone up that high and your helmet makes contact with his, it's a flag. That's all they care about in that situation.

I'm not saying I agree with the rule or where it is leading football. But that's the rule as it stands right now.

Edit - And because I know what kind of a s@$*)t people will throw, I won't be posting here again. I'm only here because I said I would be for a post.

Since I said I would be in this thread when it was created, here I am. But I don't believe I was wrong.

There is helmet to helmet contact there. His helmet is not over the guy's shoulder, you can see it right up in the other player's helmet. I'm not ragging on Kenny Bell, nor would I discipline him if I was a coach.

But from the ref's point of view, if you block someone up that high and your helmet makes contact with his, it's a flag. That's all they care about in that situation.

I'm not saying I agree with the rule or where it is leading football. But that's the rule as it stands right now.

Edit - And because I know what kind of a s@$&*it people will throw, I won't be posting here again. I'm only here because I said I would be for a post.

As a player down field, he cannot go below the waist. What is he supposed to do? If he's supposed to refrain from the hit, then they need to specifically define it as so. Yes, there was helmet contact, but based on the forward motion of the head, it was no where near severe enough to be considered. But yes, it does happen to fast. The enforcement of this concept needs to seriously be evaluated before we have the issues I discussed above start to take place.

• Fire 1