Chatelain hits the nail on the head with three sentences

A large chunk of the Bulldog nation has been saying the same thing about Mark Richt since the letdown of the 2008 team. #1 Preseason ranking, demolished at home in the first half by Alabama in primetime, and consistently underwhelmed in many cases since. And this is in light of a current 11-2 season coming on the heels of a 10-4 season last year with an SEC East title each year.

Sounds like a pretty empty criticism in both cases. Lotta schools would love to have Richt.

Sounds like a pretty empty criticism in both cases. Lotta schools would love to have Richt.

Agreed. You can't convince the vocal Anti-Richt faction that if they get their wish, we could be in the same boat as Auburn or TN with their dumpster fires of programs. Replacing your HC is not a proposition to entertain lightly. My personal theory is that when the current UGA president retires in May 2013, Richt informs him and the AD that 2013 is his last season. This allows the incoming president to lead a thorough search for a high octane, high protein HC. When you know it's coming, you can take all year to court a Chris Petersen, Gary Patterson, Pat Fitzgerald, et al. Even if you have to wait until the off-season, you can bring in the Grudens of the world for interviews. At least having a list of qualified, vetted candidates to bring in the 2nd week of December is better than the train wrecks of the SEC coaching changes this year.

Except Arkansas. Their AD gets the Balls of Steel award.

Agreed. You can't convince the vocal Anti-Richt faction that if they get their wish, we could be in the same boat as Auburn or TN with their dumpster fires of programs. Replacing your HC is not a proposition to entertain lightly. My personal theory is that when the current UGA president retires in May 2013, Richt informs him and the AD that 2013 is his last season. This allows the incoming president to lead a thorough search for a high octane, high protein HC. When you know it's coming, you can take all year to court a Chris Petersen, Gary Patterson, Pat Fitzgerald, et al. Even if you have to wait until the off-season, you can bring in the Grudens of the world for interviews. At least having a list of qualified, vetted candidates to bring in the 2nd week of December is better than the train wrecks of the SEC coaching changes this year.

Except Arkansas. Their AD gets the Balls of Steel award.

Is there talk of Richt wanting out? Why would he resign????

Is there talk of Richt wanting out? Why would he resign????

None. Just my own speculation. My money's on him hanging it up after next year, but it could go as far as 2014, in this amateur's opinion. As for the "why"- Spotlight fatigue, first and foremostly. He's about to begin year 13 at the same school.

A number of coaches have been fired in the last ten years or so because they didn't win the "big one" or didn't win enough. My memory isn't going to be good enough to list them. But, Michigan, Tennessee, Illinois, Colorado, probably Pitt, Boston College, Kentucky, and the list could go on and on. My memory isn't good enough to make definite statements about all those but it seems to me that not very many of those joined the elite teams within two or three years of the firing. My observation would be that elite teams are built over TIME. In all our exuberance at Devaney's success, he didn't hit elite status right away. He did make us competitive in most games pretty quickly, but it took some building. Most of the schools we face have populations that are multiples of what we have in Nebraska. It's pretty easy to say, "Patience my ass, I'm going to go out and kill (fire) someone." I'm not in that category.

I guess when it comes down to it, I don't like the fact that the media is not held accountable for what they say or do. There is no check and balance process there.

Kind of like how you were held accountable for your tro...oh wait, no, not at all like that.

I was warned by multiple mods actually for two separate things. So if you want to continue to talk about things you don't have a clue about, I would encourage you to continue to post.

• Fire 1

I just still dont understand this entitled attitude. Does anyone think that maybe this is just where our program is, and could be for a long time? Sure many dont want to settle for that, but I guess I'm one that doesnt want to risk what success we do have in a blind attempt to make it better, because we as a fanbase have this generalized notion that we "deserve better". That elitest thinking is what helped to send this program down the crapper 10 years ago to begin with. I personally believe we are fortunate to have had as good as it has been under Bo. I'm not understanding all the angst I guess because I am comfortable admitting that we probably will never win another National Championship again. The logistics of college football is just not going to allow it for us. I hope I'm wrong just like anyone else. We are hungry for the dominant days again that we forget that that run was the lightning in a bottle not these days of 9-10 wins.

It's not entitlement to expect Nebraska to be a top 10 program, it's pride.

The article was spot on. We are in a stalemate and Bo has to find a way to get the program progressing again. Bo's not wrong when he says it's a process, but right now his process is stuck in an infinite loop.

I just still dont understand this entitled attitude. Does anyone think that maybe this is just where our program is, and could be for a long time? Sure many dont want to settle for that, but I guess I'm one that doesnt want to risk what success we do have in a blind attempt to make it better, because we as a fanbase have this generalized notion that we "deserve better". That elitest thinking is what helped to send this program down the crapper 10 years ago to begin with. I personally believe we are fortunate to have had as good as it has been under Bo. I'm not understanding all the angst I guess because I am comfortable admitting that we probably will never win another National Championship again. The logistics of college football is just not going to allow it for us. I hope I'm wrong just like anyone else. We are hungry for the dominant days again that we forget that that run was the lightning in a bottle not these days of 9-10 wins.

The article was spot on. We are in a stalemate and Bo has to find a way to get the program progressing again. Bo's not wrong when he says it's a process, but right now his process is stuck in an infinite loop.

the article was written by a hack and the premise is crap- how many times do people need to be told that Bo is doing things the way TO did them, to understand he needs people to support him.... and if people like dick Shatonmyland would crawl back into the anus he was deposited into the world from, we'll have a better shot at keeping Bo so maybe he can have his "Miami" moment too

Is there a little too much pride though? I'm not trying to jump down your throat or anything I'm just curious. I was born in '93 so I'm sure we have a bit of a different perspective. I know nobody likes the big loss but I think it's just a product of the times. Everybody wants to run no-huddle offenses and run 90 plays a game. There's teams that average over 50 points and 500 yards of offense in a season. You didn't see that 20 years ago or even 10 years ago. At least it wasn't as common. I guess my thought is we're close to turning the corner and we'll just set Nebraska back further if we change coaches now.

Is there a little too much pride though? I'm not trying to jump down your throat or anything I'm just curious. I was born in '93 so I'm sure we have a bit of a different perspective. I know nobody likes the big loss but I think it's just a product of the times. Everybody wants to run no-huddle offenses and run 90 plays a game. There's teams that average over 50 points and 500 yards of offense in a season. You didn't see that 20 years ago or even 10 years ago. At least it wasn't as common. I guess my thought is we're close to turning the corner and we'll just set Nebraska back further if we change coaches now.

You've got a good point about the offenses today. The other thing that wasn't around 10-20 years ago was the amount of ready-to-play freshmen that can spark programs.

I guess my thought process is if Bo wants to be around for the long haul, then he needs to adjusts his methods. It really bothers me to see how fundamentally poor this team is.

the article was written by a hack and the premise is crap- how many times do people need to be told that Bo is doing things the way TO did them, to understand he needs people to support him.... and if people like dick Shatonmyland would crawl back into the anus he was deposited into the world from, we'll have a better shot at keeping Bo so maybe he can have his "Miami" moment too

I think you're predisposed to dislike Dirk. I live in MN so I don't read the LJS or OWH as often as I would like to, so I really don't know if the guy is a hack or not. But this article was aimed dead-center. Bo is at a crossroads and has a lot of really tough decisions to make over the offseason.

You've got a good point about the offenses today. The other thing that wasn't around 10-20 years ago was the amount of ready-to-play freshmen that can spark programs.

I guess my thought process is if Bo wants to be around for the long haul, then he needs to adjusts his methods. It really bothers me to see how fundamentally poor this team is.

I understand that and I agree. The coaches say they work on those things and they continue to happen. Beck had a penalty system for the offense when somebody fumbled. Apparently that person would have to log roll the length of the fiel and run back for every fumble. To me that doesn't sound severe enough. They need a penalty system for everybody or hold the entire team accountable for each penalty and fumble.. that would get their attention.

To say that he will NEVER get over the hump is too far. He hasn't done it yet, but that doesn't automatically mean that he never will...

For those of you who want to say that Bo has taken the pride away from the program, do you not remember the Callahan years? I'm not talking about just game results, either. He eliminated the walk-on program, and took away hallmarks of Nebraska football. You may have many prejudices against Pelini, but he did a tremendous job of restoration and made our program something to be proud of again. There's a difference between being "entitled and elitist" and having pride, and that difference is patience. The next few years will show the true colors of what some Husker fans really are.

Say what you want about Dirk's articles but he's the only one who gets into Bo's ass and has the balls to ask serious questions. He gets to the point and sometimes he might be "out of line" but i'd rather have that then a bunch of timid reporters.

This isn't freaking Watergate, it's college football!!!!! Unless Dirk is trying to uncover illegal or immoral acts, there is absolutely no point in being a dirkhead!!!

I'm not saying that he has to pump the sunshine like Sipple does, but he doesn't have to come after Bo like he is trying to uncover a conspiracy theory. I understand he wants hard questions answered, he might have better luck asking them on Wednesday. Instead, he jumps on Bo's jock right after Wisconsin spent 4 HOURS!!!! giving Pelini's "said jock" a super wedgie. I would be irritable too, if I was Pelini....

70 points my man. You better believe you get some hard pressed questions. if we lose by a field goal then fine but 70 points is inexcusable.

"Bo isn’t good enough to get over the hump. He isn't bad enough to fire. Nebraska is stuck in purgatory."

football is purgatory. look at what a championship got chizik. auburn won it all and all it amounted to was a couple weeks of glory. then what? a new season and nobody cares about the last. alabama is about to win 3 in 4 years and saban will move on. anyone care outside of birmingham and tuscaloosa? no, because all football amounts to is waiting for the next season. unless you win, then you hold on to that as long as you can.

i do not know about most of the fans here, but i am a fan of the huskers; i am not just a fan of winning. obviously i want the huskers to do well and i hurt as much as the next guy after the B1G beat down. but this season was enjoyable. heck, every season with bo has been enjoyable (for a variety of reasons). i want to win, but i want to win with bo. i want to see that happen more than i want to see this program rifle through a new head coach every 5 years.

• Fire 1