A different perspective

I'm one of those people that has been a sun shiner. I've always been a Bo supporter. I went to the game, and left stunned, just trying to figure out what was going on. It wasn't until today that I had what could be a useful insight. What if we're framing this completely wrong. We knew that our D was bad this year, that wasn't really a question. Losing Dennard, Crick, and David and having no amazing underclassman or Juco's come in to replace them was going to be ugly. Do I blame Bo for the bad talent around at the moment at the upperclassman level? Yes and no, I don't think he recruited great his first year or two, but there was also the usual attrition and people not playing out. So we could still frame it as his fault.

My question is this, what if Bo's been coaching lights out all season and Wisconsin/tOSU were just games where coaching could not overcome? This team could have been the running equivalent of Okie State (when they were really bad) and instead they went 10-3 despite having huge holes at two defensive levels. This is essentially the flipside of the 09 team. I think that if Bo ever has a team without holes (doesn't need to be amazing, but without holes) it'll be a team in the national championship conversation.

Take it for what you want, this could just be the ramblings of a sleep deprived person.

being worst in the nation with turnovers.... its will be hard for any defense to compensate for that.

Our problem isnt talent, its leadership and developement. There are other schools with equal or less talent than us, that do more with it. They dont have the facilities we have or the fan support we have here.

Sorry, but our blowouts comes down to nothing more than poor coaching.

Even though I think you make some good points I'm going to sum up what everybody is going to post to this thread. "Bo's no better than BC, we're a terrible team, we're pathetic and will get blown out by Georgia as we'll never be relevent again. You're just a sunshine pumper, Bo sucks. End of story"

being worst in the nation with turnovers.... its will be hard for any defense to compensate for that.

The turnovers are a problem. Let's not gloss over that. But we have got to stop giving the defense a pass because the offense has issues. With those turnovers we're still the top offense in the conference in three of the four major categories: Total Offense, Rushing Offense and Pass Efficiency Offense, and we're #2 in Scoring Offense, two points a game behind OSU.

The offense has problems. It is not THE problem, and you can blame those turnovers as much on the defense giving up epic yards and points and the offense having to play a riskier version of football to try to catch up more than you can blame the offense's turnovers for the defense's woes.

Even if we clean up all turnovers, this defense is Cosgrovian. There's no getting around that.

Even though I think you make some good points I'm going to sum up what everybody is going to post to this thread. "Bo's no better than BC, we're a terrible team, we're pathetic and will get blown out by Georgia as we'll never be relevent again. You're just a sunshine pumper, Bo sucks. End of story"

Glad to see you could clear that up! :facepalm:

The problem is not that we get blown out.....it's that we get blown out like a decent D1 team blows out a poor D2 team (actually, much worse). That fact we cannot overlook. For whatever reason, we have games where we look totally unprepared from the get-go, or the moment like it looks like they have found a crack in our defense....the whole team goes, "well, this game is over; where is the bus?"

And that is coaching...pure and simple. Whether it's lack of skill in recruiting or lack of skill in game preparation (or adjustments)...call it what you may, it's lack of coaching either way. That's bad. And it's even worse if the players think...in the back of their mind...."listen, I don't want to play for this coach. I don't believe in his system. I don't like the way he treats me and other players. I don't think that winning is worth it in this situation."

Our problem isnt talent, its leadership and developement. There are other schools with equal or less talent than us, that do more with it. They dont have the facilities we have or the fan support we have here.

Have to disagree. The leadership on this team as at an all-time high under Bo. Think about all of the great leaders we have: Taylor, Rex, Compton, Ben Cotton. Teams that lack leadership don't come back from double-digit deficits in 4 different games.

Have to disagree. The leadership on this team as at an all-time high under Bo. Think about all of the great leaders we have: Taylor, Rex, Compton, Ben Cotton. Teams that lack leadership don't come back from double-digit deficits in 4 different games.

They're just trying to bail out Bo :D

Even if we clean up all turnovers, this defense is Cosgrovian. There's no getting around that.

but at other times this season they were downright dominant. the UCLA 2nd half adjustment (against a good offense even). Wisconsin 1.0. Iowa (even though the offense sputtered all day). Minnesota (obviously). Michigan. etc.

here's our rush defense breakdown. (2007 in ())

185 (77)

344 (236)

148 (313)

31 (188)

56 (134)

371 (195)

180 (317)

95 (359)

238 (364)

151 (218)

87 (108)

108 (277)

2012: 194/game

2007: 232/game

They are absolutely sporatic. Are they exposed? Outcoached? How do you give up 56 yards one week (to the same team that just hung 539 on us) and then allow 371 and 68 points the following week? That can't be entirely talent. Can't be entirely scheme can it? What's different? I don't believe that the Ohio State rushing attack was that much more talented than Wisconsin the week before. Call me as confused as Bo. The difference is I won't deny there is issues that need fixed however. At least in 2007 they were consistently bad but not occasionally epically bad.

at home: 107/game

away: 297/game

but at other times this season they were downright dominant. the UCLA 2nd half adjustment (against a good offense even). Wisconsin 1.0. Iowa (even though the offense sputtered all day). Minnesota (obviously). Michigan. etc.

here's our rush defense breakdown. (2007 in ())

185 (77)

344 (236)

148 (313)

31 (188)

56 (134)

371 (195)

180 (317)

95 (359)

238 (364)

151 (218)

87 (108)

108 (277)

2012: 194/game

2007: 232/game

They are absolutely sporatic. Are they exposed? Outcoached? How do you give up 56 yards one week (to the same team that just hung 539 on us) and then allow 371 and 68 points the following week? That can't be entirely talent. Can't be entirely scheme can it? What's different? I don't believe that the Ohio State rushing attack was that much more talented than Wisconsin the week before. Call me as confused as Bo. The difference is I won't deny there is issues that need fixed however. At least in 2007 they were consistently bad but not occasionally epically bad.

I know I'll get roasted by somebody for saying this but I think that it really does come down to execution. I don't think it's terribly complicated because they showed that most of the time they can handle it. The talent isn't quite what it should be but that's getting worked on. The players said it, when one guys messes up, it's going to the house.

I know I'll get roasted by somebody for saying this but I think that it really does come down to execution. I don't think it's terribly complicated because they showed that most of the time they can handle it. The talent isn't quite what it should be but that's getting worked on. The players said it, when one guys messes up, it's going to the house.

Which is understandable. you'd expect they'd mess up a time or two a game. what is so wrong that they play a perfect game one week, then mess up 20 times the next, only to come back w/ a great game, then follow that up with a game they mess up 15 times...etc. why the roller coaster? i know road games impact the prep schedule - but why is Bo and his teams performing at drastically different levels? Vegas figures in what - 3-4 points for a road game? with the Huskers, plan on 20-30.

The turnovers are a problem. Let's not gloss over that. But we have got to stop giving the defense a pass because the offense has issues. With those turnovers we're still the top offense in the conference in three of the four major categories: Total Offense, Rushing Offense and Pass Efficiency Offense, and we're #2 in Scoring Offense, two points a game behind OSU.

The offense has problems. It is not THE problem, and you can blame those turnovers as much on the defense giving up epic yards and points and the offense having to play a riskier version of football to try to catch up more than you can blame the offense's turnovers for the defense's woes.

Let's say they scored TDs on every turnover and then let's say we took that away. That is 21 points. We still lose by 18.

I agree. The offense isn't perfect but it wasn't the cause of us losing this game. The defense was pathetically horrible. They were so horrible that it is unfathomable what they were even doing in practice all week.

Which is understandable. you'd expect they'd mess up a time or two a game. what is so wrong that they play a perfect game one week, then mess up 20 times the next, only to come back w/ a great game, then follow that up with a game they mess up 15 times...etc. why the roller coaster? i know road games impact the prep schedule - but why is Bo and his teams performing at drastically different levels? Vegas figures in what - 3-4 points for a road game? with the Huskers, plan on 20-30.

Which is funny we used to be worse at home then away. The only explanation I have is that when they are on the big stage and make those mistakes they get uptight and starting thinking too much rather than just playing football. I don't know if it's what really happens or not but, that's what it looks like to me.

Let's say they scored TDs on every turnover and then let's say we took that away. That is 21 points. We still lose by 18.

I agree. The offense isn't perfect but it wasn't the cause of us losing this game. The defense was pathetically horrible. They were so horrible that it is unfathomable what they were even doing in practice all week.

Or Baker is the best player to have ever come through Nebraska. Just saying.

I was refering to Bo and the staff, not the players.