Sound Familiar?

DJR313

Excellent find OP. Cue the "Nebraska doesnt get blown out-45 points is not 70" crowd.

Cue me then. 70 is much worse than 45, and to make it worse this team gave up over 60 twice. I can stomach 45 if it is a close game, but two epic beat downs surrendering over 60 points is unacceptable.

That was 45 back in the day when our defense was one of the best in the nation, and offenses were nowhere near as dynamic and explosive as they are now. Yes, 63 and 70 are friggin' terrible, but that article gives a LOT of perspective to the situation. That was arguably the best coach in college football history who got beat by 35 and had to explain it to the media. And if I remember right, he had a lot of success later on.

What year is that from anyways? I'm not old enough to have experienced that.

I remember the game clearly. I lived in Louisiana at the time, and was excited about Mickey Joseph, a small but fast Louisiana kid. In those days 2 or 3 games per year were on television in that part of the country, and that game was a real disappointment. It was then that I incorrectly concluded that TO would never be as good as Devaney.

The similarity is this:

That team lost by 5 TD's that day in a game they were expected to win, much too similar to Saturday night. They were a good, not great team, and some holes were beginning to be exposed. That malaise carried over to the bowl game and they were blasted by the co-national champ. Osborne took it to task to shift his recruiting up in the next year or so, and McBride made a change in the defense in 92, and the rest is history. I do not necessarily think Pelini is on the edge of going 60-3 in the next 5 years, but I think that when you take a step back and look at where this program is at, and realize that the defense was a patchwork, and the offense is very young and almost everyone returns, that Saturday may be a speed bump. My generation is so results-focused and has no patience whatsoever, that 5 years without a title seems like an eternity. I'm not ready to throw the towel in, and Pelini will show his true worth by how he and his staff are able to regroup, strategize and energize the players to get ready for the future. If he refuses to learn anything from that showcase, then he is a fool and that will show soon enough.

• Fire 1

I remember that game very well. I was sitting in a restaurant having burgers and beer with a half dozen of my buddies, and watching that game while our girlfriends and wives were out Christmas shopping. Those friends, a mix of Alabama and Auburn fans, gave me all kinds of grief for the rest of that weekend. It was a really disappointing end to the season, but it would have been absolute meltdown material for the chicken little crowd if there had been social media and message boards to fuel a fire back then.

The Internet has made life good for us fans that live out of state, giving us access to information that was harder to come by back then (my main source of info used to be the sports section from the paper that my family mailed to me). There's a price to be paid for that, though, and we're witnessing it with this panic that so many of our myopic , panic-prone brethren are consumed with lately.

I like to be fairly objective about things, and I feel like this program is on the verge of crossing over the hump. Last Saturday night was a major disappointment, but I think what the key is how the team responds next year. A loss like that could light a fire under the program, and I think it just might. Bring on the Dawgs come Jan 1, I think they are going to be in for one heckuva fight.

I hope you're right because my gut instinct tells me it will a repeat of last years Cap One Bowl

Lay off of the 3 day old Taco Bell burritos and that will clear itself up.

Haha that team won as many as Bo and lost 2 fewer. Ended up nationally ranked still and didn't lose to a 7-5 team. As many have said we cannot compare the past to the present as it is completely different. Both sides continue to try to use the past while the other side says it doesn't apply and is "apples to oranges"

We also need to stop comparing Bo to TO. It is insulting to TO at this point in time and that can only change is Bo grows as a HC. I hope he does as it means we will jump the 4 loss hump and get a Conf Championship.

Good football teams can get beat. That is why the games are played. Lets just stop comparing the past to the present.

Haha that team won as many as Bo and lost 2 fewer. Ended up nationally ranked still and didn't lose to a 7-5 team. As many have said we cannot compare the past to the present as it is completely different. Both sides continue to try to use the past while the other side says it doesn't apply and is "apples to oranges"

We also need to stop comparing Bo to TO. It is insulting to TO at this point in time and that can only change is Bo grows as a HC. I hope he does as it means we will jump the 4 loss hump and get a Conf Championship.

Good football teams can get beat. That is why the games are played. Lets just stop comparing the past to the present.

uhh ok then the "I love" callahan nitwits can stop with the recruiting comparisons too-

Although, I think TO wouldn't mind the comparisons to his situation in time when the fan base almost ran him out of town- sort of the same thing that seems to be going on right now with Bo

uhh ok then the "I love" callahan nitwits can stop with the recruiting comparisons too-

Although, I think TO wouldn't mind the comparisons to his situation in time when the fan base almost ran him out of town- sort of the same thing that seems to be going on right now with Bo

Callahan and Bo are recruiting in the same decade...same scholarship numbers etc. comparing to TO is a bit different but recruit ranking is recruit ranking. I also believe there were many more diamonds in the rough back then with no Internet etc to spread the word.

Didnt we start changing our defense after that season? I know somewhere in those few years we changed to the 4-3 from 52, but I don't remember exactly when.

I believe 1993 was when the defense officially went to the base 4-3 from the 5-2.

Yes, '93 was the first year of the 4-3 as the exclusive base. It was unvieled against Colorado in '92 however, when the Buffaloes had not idea it was coming, and proceeded to have no answer. They threw a pick on the first play of the game, and went downhill from there.