TE Brandon Vandenburg

Ed Helms

If we somehow don't land him, I don't see how Long, Cotton or Sutton couldn't do just as good, if not better on the field than either of these two guys. Long has shown some talent this year. Sutton was the "next Reed". Cotton is/was suppose to be better than his brother.

maybe they will be but none of them have played much and i dont think the staff would be going after jucos if these guys were guaranteed to be able to step in with no drop off, but i hope they do step in and play great

If we somehow don't land him, I don't see how Long, Cotton or Sutton couldn't do just as good, if not better on the field than either of these two guys. Long has shown some talent this year. Sutton was the "next Reed". Cotton is/was suppose to be better than his brother.

A walk on and two 2 star guys? Sutton may have been a low 3 star. Are not going to give you what Sandland or Vandenburg do in my opinion. Do I hope they do? Heck yes i do. But we continue to play checkers while the big boys play chess. What other top 15 school has that lack of depth and talent all over the place?

maybe they will be but none of them have played much and i dont think the staff would be going after jucos if these guys were guaranteed to be able to step in with no drop off, but i hope they do step in and play great

You never know until they hit the field. Same goes for the JUCO's. Not every JUCO comes out to what you expected them to. The ball game is the same at the levels, but the level of competition is much higher. Unless your in the WAC lol.

A walk on and two 2 star guys? Sutton may have been a low 3 star. Are not going to give you what Sandland or Vandenburg do in my opinion. Do I hope they do? Heck yes i do. But we continue to play checkers while the big boys play chess. What other top 15 school has that lack of depth and talent all over the place?

Here we go with the "star" rating again. Once they are recruited, stars are completely irrelevant and relies strictly on coaching. Converting and molding those kids to fit your offense/defense and understand the X's and O's, understanding whats going on, on the other side of the ball and being able be in position when a play is originally called or when its adjusted. It would have been nice to have a kid in here with experience, but I also liked what Long was able to show while he was in. Everyone doubted B Cotton for a long time, and look how he came out. One of the best TE's in the league. Not the best, but he is up there. Great blocker and a good receiver. It also falls down to how much the kid is willing to adapt knowledge, and how well they are not stuck in their "way" of doing things and want to improve.

Here we go with the "star" rating again. Once they are recruited, stars are completely irrelevant and relies strictly on coaching. Converting and molding those kids to fit your offense/defense and understand the X's and O's, understanding whats going on, on the other side of the ball and being able be in position when a play is originally called or when its adjusted. It would have been nice to have a kid in here with experience, but I also liked what Long was able to show while he was in. Everyone doubted B Cotton for a long time, and look how he came out. One of the best TE's in the league. Not the best, but he is up there. Great blocker and a good receiver. It also falls down to how much the kid is willing to adapt knowledge, and how well they are not stuck in their "way" of doing things and want to improve.

They get those stars by having more potential. Not all live up to the potential and help feed into the "stars don't matter" thing - but on day 1, Vandenberg and Sandland have a far higher ceiling than Long/Cotton/Sutton. Whether they reach it or not is on the coaching staff...but since not many ever reach it...I'd rather see the staff get to work w/ someone that begins farther down the path than the other. If this was last year, it wouldn't sting as much. But we need someone contributing on day 1. Vand/Sand have a better chance of being at a higher level than the 3 mentioned above. Doesn't mean the 3 won't be great someday...but odds they are great for the 2013 UCLA game is much lower than either of these recruits.

They get those stars by having more potential. Not all live up to the potential and help feed into the "stars don't matter" thing - but on day 1, Vandenberg and Sandland have a far higher ceiling than Long/Cotton/Sutton. Whether they reach it or not is on the coaching staff...but since not many ever reach it...I'd rather see the staff get to work w/ someone that begins farther down the path than the other. If this was last year, it wouldn't sting as much. But we need someone contributing on day 1. Vand/Sand have a better chance of being at a higher level than the 3 mentioned above. Doesn't mean the 3 won't be great someday...but odds they are great for the 2013 UCLA game is much lower than either of these recruits.

No I understand that. You never know if these kids will just have that natural talent to go out and perform right away, if they aren't given that chance. When Long was on the field, you knew it. Announcers called his name on a couple TD's.

No I understand that. You never know if these kids will just have that natural talent to go out and perform right away, if they aren't given that chance. When Long was on the field, you knew it. Announcers called his name on a couple TD's.

I think Long will get plenty of playing time this year - I'm more worried about that other spot. Odd's that Hart can come in and play at that level is low. Sutton doesn't really have the size IMO. I was really hoping for that 6'6" big body to make those tough 3rd down catches Ben has been making for us the last couple of years.

So whats the story with this guy? EZ, PaulCrewe, what say u? I'm in full panic mode!

The only thing that I know of is that it isn't like we just started talking to him today. We have maintained good contact with him.

Per his latest interview, he definitely has great interest in us and hinted that he wouldn't be opposed to committing on an official visit. That's good news, I'll take it.