Gun Control

Roark

Felon Thanks the NRA

As a lifelong career criminal, although I no longer enjoy the right to keep and bear arms, I'd like to take a moment to express my appreciation to the National Rifle Association for nonetheless protecting my ability to easily obtain them through its opposition to universal background checks.

Upon release in a few years from my current federal sentence on bank robbery and weapons charges, I fully anticipate being able to stop at a gun show on my way home to Connecticut -- where new laws have made it nearly impossible for a felon to readily purchase guns or ammunition -- in order to buy some with which to resume my criminal activities.

And so, a heartfelt thank you to the NRA and all those members of Congress voting with them. I, along with tens of thousands of other criminals, couldn't do what we do without you.

Gary W. Bornman,

The writer is an inmate at the federal "Supermax" prison in Florence, Colo.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/letters/hcrs-15241hc--20130605,0,4878261.story

Felon Thanks the NRA

As a lifelong career criminal, although I no longer enjoy the right to keep and bear arms, I'd like to take a moment to express my appreciation to the National Rifle Association for nonetheless protecting my ability to easily obtain them through its opposition to universal background checks.

Upon release in a few years from my current federal sentence on bank robbery and weapons charges, I fully anticipate being able to stop at a gun show on my way home to Connecticut -- where new laws have made it nearly impossible for a felon to readily purchase guns or ammunition -- in order to buy some with which to resume my criminal activities.

And so, a heartfelt thank you to the NRA and all those members of Congress voting with them. I, along with tens of thousands of other criminals, couldn't do what we do without you.

Gary W. Bornman,

http://www.courant.c...0,4878261.story

I'm all for background checks, but this is kind of a stupid letter...

If he really is a "career criminal", then he's going to get weapons regardless of the NRA... Wonder how many "favors" he got for writing this letter...

Felon Thanks the NRA

Gary W. Bornman,

Good Lord....

If someone can't look at that and see it's nothing more than a political hack piece then there is no hope.

Felon Thanks the NRA

Gary W. Bornman,

Good Lord....

If someone can't look at that and see it's nothing more than a political hack piece then there is no hope.

How is the letter wrong, exactly?

If he really is a "career criminal", then he's going to get weapons regardless of the NRA...

That's probably why he thanked them for making it easy...

But then, that makes him really dumb or really gullible, or both...

If he's smart, then he doesn't buy it from a gun dealer, no matter how easy it is, because it's got a serial number (can the serial number on it be defaced, yes) on it and if used in a crime, forensics can determine if a particular weapon was fired from a specific weapon...

Not to mention, to come out and say what he said is just stupid as well.

And if you're going to listen to a career criminal, especially one that got caught, doesn't show much intelligence either...

• Fire 2

Most of them are. :dunno

If he's smart, then he doesn't buy it from a gun dealer, no matter how easy it is, because it's got a serial number (can the serial number on it be defaced, yes) on it and if used in a crime, forensics can determine if a particular weapon was fired from a specific weapon...

Wait . . . what? As you noted, that can be solved in 5 minutes with a file.

And if you're going to listen to a career criminal, especially one that got caught, doesn't show much intelligence either...

See above.

Most of them are. :dunno

Wait . . . what? As you noted, that can be solved in 5 minutes with a file.

See above.

NO-PROB.gif