Gun Control

Roark

But if someone isnt in there right mind already. All the makings of a home made bomb are right there online just waiting to be looked up. You cant deny that someone with no access to a gun could use this method very easily with house hold products.

I completely agree. I can't deny that. The point is, people use guns because they're easy and effective. People will still murder even if guns didn't exist, sure; all I'm saying is if people didn't have guns, I believe we'd have far less murders.

The evidence is in my post about Australia. Since they made guns more difficult to obtain and completely banned assault rifles nationwide, they've seen huge drops in their murder statistics. People could make bombs if they want, but the statistics show they're not.

I say we use our military to benefit public safety. 2 Armed military members, who pass background tests, stand guard in every school. You wouldn't have to relocate, as many cities/towns have a few vets/current military personnel in them. Its a thought, and all you have to do is raise their pay just a bit to compensate their duties, if at all. I wouldn't force anyone to do this, but leave it open to those who want to serve our communities better. I have a handful of military friends in Omaha who would stand guard in a heartbeat to protect little ones and teachers.

So we pay $20K, which is a real low number, to post a military member at the 100K public schools in America. That's only $2 Billion. Makes sense.

I think Millard South had atleast one armed guard on their campus.

I say we use our military to benefit public safety. 2 Armed military members, who pass background tests, stand guard in every school. You wouldn't have to relocate, as many cities/towns have a few vets/current military personnel in them. Its a thought, and all you have to do is raise their pay just a bit to compensate their duties, if at all. I wouldn't force anyone to do this, but leave it open to those who want to serve our communities better. I have a handful of military friends in Omaha who would stand guard in a heartbeat to protect little ones and teachers.

So we pay $20K, which is a real low number, to post a military member at the 100K public schools in America. That's only $2 Billion. Makes sense.

I think Millard South had atleast one armed guard on their campus.

You would be creating jobs wouldn't you? I am sure the schools would have no problem helping pay that cost. This would also cut down on the cost of these "security guards" they have already. Most OPS schools have an officer in the school at all times, tell me that doesn't cost more than $20k/year?

How many people in our armed forces are trained to make these specific kinds of decisions? Squad based fire and maneuver tactics (assuming we're talking infantry only . . . and I'm not sure how appropriate it would be to employ say . . . a helicopter mechanic in this role) probably don't translate particularly well to our classrooms.

It seems like LEOs would be a much better fit.

Also . . . the pooh-poohing of the costs is interesting. I hope that none of these posters complained about the funding that goes to PBS . . . because that's roughly a tenth of the entirely hypothetical and probably unrealistic costs being discussed here.

In January, Senator Feinstein will introduce a bill to stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition feeding devises.

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

• Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
    • 120 specifically-named firearms
    • Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
    • Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

[*]Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

• Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
    • Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
    • Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

[*]Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

[*]Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:

• Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
    • Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
    • Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

[*]Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

• Background check of owner and any transferee;
    • Type and serial number of the firearm;
    • Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    • Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    • Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

http://www.feinstein...assault-weapons

You would be creating jobs wouldn't you?

No. If I've learned one thing over the past few years it's that the government does not and can not create jobs. This is no exception. ;)

The govmint can create all the jobs they want, they just need to figure out who is going to pay for it. I take that back...they don't have to figure out who is going to pay for it.

In January, Senator Feinstein will introduce a bill to stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition feeding devises.

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

• Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
    • 120 specifically-named firearms
    • Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
    • Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

[*]Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

• Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
    • Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
    • Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

[*]Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

[*]Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:

• Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and

[*]Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

• Background check of owner and any transferee;
    • Type and serial number of the firearm;
    • Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    • Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    • Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

http://www.feinstein...assault-weapons

Well at least they're finally addressing that thumbhole stock loophole. :rolleyes:

The only thing that I could possibly see making a difference would be a high capacity magazine ban. (Probably with a buy back program.) I don't know if I'd support that or not. I'd probably have to see some serious evidence. Logically it makes sense . . . but whether that translates to reality is an open question.

I am sure the schools would have no problem helping pay that cost.

Why are you sure? My mother-in-law buys school supplies for her own classroom.

School supplies and safety are in two different categories. Your essential books are provided by the schools, and any other curricular activities/reading is on the hands of the teacher. Could you imagine if the schools had to pay for all these activities the teachers wanted to do? Our city taxes would skyrocket to help fund that cost.

The school district pays for security guards for these schools, who can't even conceal a weapon, let alone if they did, they wouldn't have the combat training or the essential skills to know what to do in situations like this. Cut out some of the security guards for military personnel, I don't see harm in that at all.

You think a psycho would think twice about walking into a school with a military member or an armed officer? This is why you don't see shootings where guns are allowed. (IE Police Stations, Shooting Ranges, Court Houses, Military Base)

Its just an opinion. We have many military members looking for jobs.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:

And they wonder why there is a HUGE SURGE in gun sales. :D

I think maybe that is Feinsteins' plan for the fiscal cliff -- more gun sales

I am sure she knows by now that the Sandy Creek shooter didn't use a "Assault weapon" ; they were "Assault Pistols".

but her bill doesn't address that issue as my statistics illustrated. Myopic legislation once again THANKS FEINY

I gots to get outa Kali, really

I don't care about thumbhole stocks too much, being a lefty :)

I think that maybe the NFA would have to be amended to include this class of weaponry i.e. semi-automatic standard rifles.

It would also cause a redundant process at least out in Kali since all pistols, revolvers and rifles must be on a "approved" weapons list. Kali knows best :D not really

You think a psycho would think twice about walking into a school with a military member or an armed officer? This is why you don't see shootings where guns are allowed. (IE Police Stations, Shooting Ranges, Court Houses, Military Base)

Like Fort Hood? or the Jefferson County Courthouse in Texas? or the Police Station in Detroit in November? or Millard South High in Omaha?

Like Fort Hood? or the Jefferson County Courthouse in Texas? or the Police Station in Detroit in November? or Millard South High in Omaha?

:yeah

I am sure she knows by now that the Sandy Creek shooter didn't use a "Assault weapon" ; they were "Assault Pistols".

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57559416/assault-rifle-used-during-sandy-hook-massacre/

Most of the victims were shot with the Bushmaster.

I don't care about thumbhole stocks too much, being a lefty :)

I don't really care much about any of the stocks. It's purely a cosmetic issue. Black guns with pistol grips apparently look scary to people who don't know much about guns.

If they should be worried about anything it's magazine capacity . . . not stocks, bayonet lugs, flash suppressors, etc.