Syria

So I guess the moral outrage has petered out on this one?

Which moral outrage? I don't really want the US to invade another country in the middle east and I don't see any other way that we could tip the balance in their civil war.

Well, it seemed some of the "leadership" in this country wanted us involved, which I agree, is a sh*t idea, unless we level the whole place and everyone in it...

That, and Israel doesn't want us to step in yet. America closely follows orders from Israel when it comes to middle eastern policy.

And we don't mind them spying on us...

I think it's high time we say f*ck Israel, and let them handle their own messes...

• Fire 1

And we don't mind them spying on us...

I think it's high time we say f*ck Israel, and let them handle their own messes...

Agreed. Their bad faith in both the spying scandal and in their continuous settlement expansions is more than enough reason to reset relations.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of criticism to go around.

LINK

The premise of this guy's criticism is that it's our problem to fix in the first place. We're not the world's police, and we don't have rights to stick our nose in every situation. We're already more heavily involved around the world than we should be.

Every bad thing that happens on this planet is not a failure of Obama's foreign policy.

• Fire 2

The premise of this guy's criticism is that it's our problem to fix in the first place. We're not the world's police, and we don't have rights to stick our nose in every situation. We're already more heavily involved around the world than we should be.

Every bad thing that happens on this planet is not a failure of Obama's foreign policy.

I can't +1 that enough...

The "world's police" is the U.N. (which we do not need to be apart of). When bad things happen, send the "blue helmets" in, and let them "keep the peace". Now, if you want something completely and utterly obliterated, then send the U.S. military.

Obama's foreign policy is not his fault, but he keeps perpetuating the problem. In the past 60 years or so, how many political "hotspots" have come up, we've sent in troops to "calm things down" because everyone should be afraid of us? We need to leave sh*t alone and let the U.N. do his job.

• Fire 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Removal of Chemical Weapons From Syria Is CompletedChemicals Will Be Destroyed Aboard a U.S. Ship
By NAFTALI BENDAVID

All the dangerous substances from Syria's chemical weapons program, including sulfur mustard and precursors of sarin, have now been removed from the country after a months long process, a Hague-based watchdog agency said Monday.

The announcement marks a diplomatic and logistical milestone. Never before has a country's entire chemical arsenal been removed from its borders, and now the most lethal chemicals are set to be destroyed...

http://online.wsj.com/articles/removal-of-chemical-weapons-from-syria-is-completed-1403529356

Removal of Chemical Weapons From Syria Is CompletedChemicals Will Be Destroyed Aboard a U.S. Ship
By NAFTALI BENDAVID

All the dangerous substances from Syria's chemical weapons program that we know of, including sulfur mustard and precursors of sarin, have now been removed from the country after a months long process, a Hague-based watchdog agency said Monday.

The announcement marks a diplomatic and logistical milestone. Never before has a country's entire chemical arsenal been removed from its borders, and now the most lethal chemicals are set to be destroyed...

http://online.wsj.com/articles/removal-of-chemical-weapons-from-syria-is-completed-1403529356

Fixed it.

By NAFTALI BENDAVID

All the dangerous substances from Syria's chemical weapons program that we a Hague-based watchdog agency knows of, including sulfur mustard and precursors of sarin, have now been removed from the country after a months long process, a Hague-based watchdog agency said Monday.

Fixed it.

One better.

Good news nonetheless . . . and I don't think that it's quite what the detractors expected.

By NAFTALI BENDAVID

All the dangerous substances from Syria's chemical weapons program that we a Hague-based watchdog agency knows of, including sulfur mustard and precursors of sarin, have now been removed from the country after a months long process, a Hague-based watchdog agency said Monday.

Fixed it.

One better.

Good news nonetheless . . . and I don't think that it's quite what the detractors expected.

Hey....anything we get out of that region and destroyed is a good thing. However, color me skeptic that we won't hear about another gas attack of some kind on people in that sh#t hole.

Hey....anything we get out of that region and destroyed is a good thing. However, color me skeptic that we won't hear about another gas attack of some kind on people in that sh#t hole.

And while I share your skepticism, I don't think they would be as loose with the chem weapons as their predecessors...

Is this throwing more good money after bad? The admin seeks $500 million to assist 'moderate' rebels in Syria. Who is moderate in that wild world?

Again we throw money to remove a dictator but often times the dictator we know is better than the one we don't know (from our perspective). Assad, while bad

isn't radical ISIS bad. If the rebels win, it will be the radicals who take over and not any so called 'moderates'.

I think we let them fight it out themselves and not get entangled and try to pick winners and losers. IMHO, I believe this proposal is misguided and proves that the admin and any neocon repubs like McCain who support this believe you can wrestle with this cultural tiger and not get hurt.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-seeks-500-million-congress-help-moderate-syrian-193135415.html

ISIL's motives are pretty clear and any favorable result for ISIL would be an unfavorable result for the masses in Iraq, Syria, and any other area in the Levant. Any resistance that attempts to be put up isn't too successful as ISIL are better trained and better financed. I think it's a move the US has to make. But I think that weapons alone won't be enough to halt ISIL's advance and fear that those weapons could wind up in the hands of the extremists in which case, what was the point? It's going to take training and perhaps direct US intervention, but let's start with this and evaluate how it goes before jumping squarely into the picture.

ISIL's motives are pretty clear and any favorable result for ISIL would be an unfavorable result for the masses in Iraq, Syria, and any other area in the Levant. Any resistance that attempts to be put up isn't too successful as ISIL are better trained and better financed. I think it's a move the US has to make. But I think that weapons alone won't be enough to halt ISIL's advance and fear that those weapons could wind up in the hands of the extremists in which case, what was the point? It's going to take training and perhaps direct US intervention, but let's start with this and evaluate how it goes before jumping squarely into the picture.

Ah, but are they? Slate's on the case. Turns out this (like literally every other problem in the world) is all about global warming. Undoubtedly ISIS is just pining for the good old days when Iraqis lived in igloos.