Why is everyone worried about DT?

The King

Why is everyone worried:

1. No proven starters on the line for next year

2. No proven backups on the line for next year

3. Very little depth next year

4. We will not be switching to the 3-4. We may run some (and very little IMO) next year, but when has Bo ever exclusively run that formation?

You mentioned 6 names in your post. 1 left the team, 1 has experience, but has failed to show much, 1 played as a true frosh and already got hurt, 1 is a red shirt frosh and the other 2 haven't shown much to the coaches or they would've played more this year.

All I know about the defensive line is that it got a lot scarier with Gregory, and all the talk of Brown playing that hybrid role.... They should be nice coming off the edges!

----Also, the number of DT's is a short list, but I just can't imagine the coaching staff ending this recruiting cycle without at least one, probably two DT commits. It seems like we always get someone late that nobody had been talking about.

To be able to run the 3-4 you need to have a monster at nose. Though there have been a lot of statements about VV being a stud, as of right now thats all they are. IMHO I doubt we switch to the 3-4 in the future. In college I played on a defense that ran the 3-4 my freshman year and the 4-3 my last 3 year. We switched to the 4-3 because of the fact we didn't have a true stud that was able to disrupt the oline and command double teams to free up the linebackers.

My main concern isn't whether we have the talent to run the the 4-3, its whether or not we have the depth.

• Fire 1

To be able to run the 3-4 you need to have a monster at nose. Though there have been a lot of statements about VV being a stud, as of right now thats all they are. IMHO I doubt we switch to the 3-4 in the future. In college I played on a defense that ran the 3-4 my freshman year and the 4-3 my last 3 year. We switched to the 4-3 because of the fact we didn't have a true stud that was able to disrupt the oline and command double teams to free up the linebackers.

My main concern isn't whether we have the talent to run the the 4-3, its whether or not we have the depth.

well said so many people on here think its a quick fix and dont seem to understand it affects a lot more than one position on the field you would need that huge elite nose tackle along with defensive ends and linebackers that also fit the new system i could see Bo bringing it in on passing downs to try and get pressure with guys like gregory and brown but its not gonna be the base defense

well said so many people on here think its a quick fix and dont seem to understand it affects a lot more than one position on the field you would need that huge elite nose tackle along with defensive ends and linebackers that also fit the new system i could see Bo bringing it in on passing downs to try and get pressure with guys like gregory and brown but its not gonna be the base defense

Exactly. There are so few true NTs they make megabucks in the NFL. Simply giant athletes like that don't grow on trees.

I'm concerned with talent at DT as well as the depth, if we had talent, they probably should have played this year as injuries piled up.