Tim Beck

Amac3309

people often remember that one draft expert stated they had Brook listed as a higher QB draft prospect than Tommie. Part of it was the fact that he was a better passer and suited for the NFL style of play better and the biggest part was because of the blood clots. Because he died many people think the comment meant he was going to be a first round pick. Honestly, IMO Gerry Gdowski was a better QB. But since we never got the chance to see what would happen the legend grew. And his mother was smart enough to exploit that for a number of years.

I think your take on his potential career is correct, but the term "exploit" is needlessly tawdry. Any grieving mother wanting to remember her son is not "exploiting" him.

I watched the entire game as well, and I have a cornhead, and painted a picture of one of Tommie Frazier's runs against Florida. So am I enough of a Husker fan? :sarcasm

f#*k, is that all I had to do. chuckleshuffle

Oh yeah, well I still have a sealed box of Wheaties from the last Husker national championship and I'm going to open them up and eat them after we win the next one. And if that doesn't happen in my lifetime, I'm going to leave the box to my children with a bunch of complicated covenants and conditions in my will. Not too worried about the quality of the Wheaties, but the milk I saved is starting to look a bit questionable at this point.

• Fire 1

Yeah where Cody Green went i wouldn't call a big name university. Berringer also played with a partially collapsed lung for like 3 games and went out against Kansas St. Berringer could pass. he was more of pro-style qb than a running qb. Yes Berringer didn't wow because he was a backup. He didn't play that many games compared to Martinez so he wouldn't have had the chance. Those games were close but in the 4th quarter we pulled away. the closest one being OU 13-3. It's not like they were 3 point games at the end.

Berringer did not go out against Kansas St. His lung was injured against Wyoming. That game was the only game all year where teh offense basically had to bail out the defense, and Brook played very well. It was the next week against Oklahoma St, where the offense was horrendous in the first half, lead 9-3 at halftime, and were thankful to be ahead thanks again to the defense. Brook did not play in the second half of that game. Matt Turman "played" qb in a 32-3 win. It was the defense, oline, and Lawrence Phillips that won that game. Turman started the game the next week against Kansas St. again, a game won by the defense, oline, and Lawrence Phillips. Brook was then pretty much fully recovered by the week after against Missouri, and basically 100% by the following week against Colorado. Hence, Brook did not play 3 games with a collapsed lung. He played maybe a full game total in a 3 game stretch with that injury.

As far as pulling away in the 4th qtr, yes, that is also part of the point here. Berringer never did anything to wow the team to a big early lead. It was the defense that had to carry the team. Only against really bad Missouri and Kansas teams did Nebraska control the game start to finish.

I really cant believe I'm making this argument. I feel I'm being incredibly disrespectful to Brook and I apologize for it, but I'm just trying to make a point based on facts. I just dont see where Brook can be considered an all time great qb at Nebraska if you base it solely on his on-field play.

Yes you are being disrespectful to Brook. You are the one who said he wasn't that good. He was more pro-style qb. In the number of limited games he played he played in more meaningful games than Martinez has. Berringer was never the reason we lost you can't say the same about Martinez.

Never said he was not that good. I said I dont consider him one of our greatest qb's. Yes, he may have been successful in the NFL. He fits that style of play. He did not fit our system as well, hence he was not great at it. As far as meaningful games, every game is meaningful in a football season. A man of your geniusness should know this.

Martinez one the of the greatest husker qb's ever? lol. wow really WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE SMOKING THESE DAYS? Hedley has it right, Martinez is only going to break records cause he started day 1 of his freshman year and rarely got substituted. He hasn't won a conference championship. You can't even begin to say he is that good. He struggles mightly against better teams.

Because Martinez has everything to do with our defense giving up 400-500 yards rushing.

people often remember that one draft expert stated they had Brook listed as a higher QB draft prospect than Tommie. Part of it was the fact that he was a better passer and suited for the NFL style of play better and the biggest part was because of the blood clots. Because he died many people think the comment meant he was going to be a first round pick. Honestly, IMO Gerry Gdowski was a better QB. But since we never got the chance to see what would happen the legend grew. And his mother was smart enough to exploit that for a number of years.

I think your take on his potential career is correct, but the term "exploit" is needlessly tawdry. Any grieving mother wanting to remember her son is not "exploiting" him.

I debated how to put it. Knowing the family and Brook personally I struggle with how I view mother. That word choice was much kinder than my first choice. I agree any parent wants to keep a memory of their kid alive and wants to remember them always. I don't discount that. I understand memorials, legacies, etc and how important they are. I travel all over the US helping do memorial walls, work with funeral homes, monument companies etc so its part of my everyday job. I believe that part of her motive was based in that. The other part was certainly opportunistic and that's all I'll say about that in an open public forum.

I debated how to put it. Knowing the family and Brook personally I struggle with how I view mother. That word choice was much kinder than my first choice. I agree any parent wants to keep a memory of their kid alive and wants to remember them always. I don't discount that. I understand memorials, legacies, etc and how important they are. I travel all over the US helping do memorial walls, work with funeral homes, monument companies etc so its part of my everyday job. I believe that part of her motive was based in that. The other part was certainly opportunistic and that's all I'll say about that in an open public forum.

Fair enough.......

Also, I appreciated your take on Gdowski. I've known that family for a long time and I believe most fans don't have a full appreciation of how talented of an overall athlete he was. Timing is crucial, of course, but he really only had the one full year for folks to observe him and is therefore probably underappreciated.

Fair enough.......

Also, I appreciated your take on Gdowski. I've known that family for a long time and I believe most fans don't have a full appreciation of how talented of an overall athlete he was. Timing is crucial, of course, but he really only had the one full year for folks to observe him and is therefore probably underappreciated.

One of my all time favorite guys. If we lose a Beck he'd be a guy I'd like to see back here one day. He's done a great job for Frank. Exactly what we'd need here in an OC and QB coach.

Fair enough.......

One of my all time favorite guys. If we lose a Beck he'd be a guy I'd like to see back here one day. He's done a great job for Frank. Exactly what we'd need here in an OC and QB coach.

Though he may be a great person we need to stop going to Ohio for coaches.