What they need to do for next year.

There is just nothing to like about our defense. If every single returning starter gets beat out for the starting spot next year, I will be pretty pleased.

Nothing? Nothing at all? Aaron Murray going 10/24 (41%) with 2 INT in the first half isn't to like?

eh...

I saw him chuck a lot of balls at his receivers' feet.

And? This is what has happened with every quarterback we've harassed all year. It's not as if all of our impressive days in limiting quarterbacks were due to every single pass play being perfect throws that were defended and deflected.

You're really reaching to try and make sure you find nothing positive.

How's this:

-Our guys showed a lot of heart on both sides of the ball. Proud of them for that.

-Beck had about 3 or 4 possessions during the game when he called a fine series of plays.

-Cam Meredith held down his spot well despite being in a difficult position. Props to him.

-Rex ran like a champ, as always. If only we were to give him the ball more...

-Jamal Turner has emerged as Taylor's go-to target and I expect BIG things from him next season.

-Pensick stepped in for Jackson really well.

-Bo and Co. put together a nice game plan, and the team executed pretty well most of the time. We just are way less athletic than the team we faced.

-Thankfully Maher spreads butter on the ball so the blocked punt didn't get recovered in the endzone. :thumbs

There were plenty of positives. Plenty more that I'm probably missing. I just hope never to see a defense like that take the field with a red N on their helmets again.

There is just nothing to like about our defense. If every single returning starter gets beat out for the starting spot next year, I will be pretty pleased.

Nothing? Nothing at all? Aaron Murray going 10/24 (41%) with 2 INT in the first half isn't to like?

eh...

I saw him chuck a lot of balls at his receivers' feet.

And? This is what has happened with every quarterback we've harassed all year. It's not as if all of our impressive days in limiting quarterbacks were due to every single pass play being perfect throws that were defended and deflected.

You're really reaching to try and make sure you find nothing positive.

How's this:

-Our guys showed a lot of heart on both sides of the ball. Proud of them for that.

-Beck had about 3 or 4 possessions during the game when he called a fine series of plays.

-Cam Meredith held down his spot well despite being in a difficult position. Props to him.

-Rex ran like a champ, as always. If only we were to give him the ball more...

-Jamal Turner has emerged as Taylor's go-to target and I expect BIG things from him next season.

-Pensick stepped in for Jackson really well.

-Bo and Co. put together a nice game plan, and the team executed pretty well most of the time. We just are way less athletic than the team we faced.

-Thankfully Maher spreads butter on the ball so the blocked punt didn't get recovered in the endzone. :thumbs

There were plenty of positives. Plenty more that I'm probably missing. I just hope never to see a defense like that take the field with a red N on their helmets again.

Much, much better. You even had two mentions that involved our defense - which kind of conflicts with your "nothing to like" comment, but hey, I'll let it go :)

Our defense is garbage all the way around. I'm not being a pessimist, just calling it how it is.  I hope we find some answers on D next year, because I can't stand watching that pathetic crap.

Disagree.  Do we have problems?  Yes, but to make a blanket statement like this is just irresponsible.

UCLA - over 600 yards

Ohio State - 63 points

Wisconsin - 70 points and a butt-load of rushing yards

Georgia - 45 points and a Capitol One Bowl record 589 yards of offense

Looks pretty pathetic to me.  I'm really not a debbie downer, and I'm not demanding anyone's head, I just can't stand watching that crap.

Good performance by the team today though.  They showed a lot of heart with the way they played.  It's too bad that gets tarnished by our defense.

IMO this shyte needs to be fixed ASAP, fire Poopchis, get a real D coordinator, this is not playtime we are not paying Bo-Bo the clown to run a GA school

I Just posted this on another thread but applies here

We had a year where the 4 games we lost we scored over 30 pts in each

The stats are really staggering when u consider them

Gave up 653 yds

Gave up 63 pts 500 yds and 371 yds rushing

Gave up 70 pts 640 yds and 539 yds rushing

And just to top it off with the vaunted top pass d

Gave up 45 pts 589 yds and 427 passing

Most of mine are for the defense.

1) Improve the speed/athleticism of the RE's.

2) Stonger DT's, depth.

3) Back 7 need to tackle better

4) Faster DB's

5) Take care of the ball offensively.

Don't know who, but we need some staff changes... cough * cotton * cough...

Also maybe some glasses for TMART

Double sided tape for Receivers

Set of balls for EVERY defender

Maybe find out who operated on Adrian Peterson and have him "fix" our speed issues... LOL

I agree that we need to fix our tunover issues before heading into next year, but not sure if I agree about the hands of our WR's. Other than the breakout season that Abdullah had I would say they were one of the brightest spots of our entire season and will only get better with Westerkamp playing next year. I think we need to find someone to put in at TE, not sure if Cotton is going to be athletic enough (but i hear he does have good hands).

My biggest worry for next year is having enough athletes in our front seven, I am really excited to see some of the guys that redshirted this year come in and make some plays ie) Rose, Valentine, Curry, McMullen, Moss Iam also excited to see Jonathan Rose in the defensive backfield along with Charles Jackson. Nedless to say we will be very young on D but i think we will be much more athletic!!!

We need to put together a vicious defense.......and yea......offensive line needs to get down right nasty!

:yeah

The main thing Bo needs to do is blow up this defense. No one should be guaranteed anything coming into next season. You want to start...you earn your spot. The guys we have returning are very vulnerable to losing jobs. Why we don't see our "lock-down corners" like Charles Jackson and Mo Seisay on the field is frustrating. Can they be any worse than what we have out there? We turned Aaron Murray into a 5 TD performing Tony Dungy first round NFL QB pick! UGA had a 6th TD pass but their WR dropped it. Our defense is one of the worst in the country and continues to set records for yards given up in major games.

Next year is the year to turn things around. A lot of new defensive players have potential to play. If Bo does not return to a Blackshirts attacking style defense, next year may be his last. I have said all year that the lack of an aggressive attacking playing downhill type of defense has gotten us in this problem. Sure we can beat the Iowa's and the Minnesota's. But when you let teams like Wisky, UCLA, OSU, and UGA run it down your throat or allow the QB so much time to complete it downfield, then you deserve the garbage we are getting (same thing last year vs. Mich., NW, and SCar). Further you can't recruit to this system because top talent at DE and DT want to attack the QB and not play DE contain.

I hope Pelini can turn it around. Next year is the season...we better not see the likes of this defensive product ever again. It is unbearable to watch because a common fan can see the weaknesses most everytime. Is it just me, or did several others of you call an opponents big play before it happened this year? :boxosoap

New Offensive Line coach. The raw talent at skill positions has made up for this under achieving bunch. The offensive line was outclassed today.

Don't agree with this at all. Our offensive line was opening up big running lanes against an elite SEC championship level front seven. Our pass protection was poor, very poor, but our run blocking was good, and the skill positions haven't made up for this underachieving bunch - these walk-ons have overachieved no matter what angle you look at it. All season long our offensive line has worn down a lot of teams. Get some more talent and depth there, and we will be just fine.

So all of T-Mart, Abdullah, Rex's success is because of our O line and not their own raw talent to find/make plays? Dozens of plays involved Rex getting gang tackled by UGA players while most of our line was standing around watching. I wouldn't exactly call that overachieving.

We're parading around Cotton's sons, a kid who never knew what football was until he got to the States, and some small town Neb guys. Sure, they're overachieving because they've become starters, but they've done so because we have so little depth and talent. This has been an issue for a while now. Something needs to be done.

Are you trying to say that talented players in the backfield make plays to gain yardage? Hmm....I guess I can't disagree with that. I also don't think I said anything contrary to that.

Last time I checked, it's a team sport with 11 players on each side. Congratulations to Taylor, Rex and Co. for being good football players that make athletic moves. Since you're arguing hyperbole, I can try too. Let's trot out the diamond formation, except without the offensive line. I'd like to see how many moves our boys make to gain yardage.

I can tell you're getting your panties in a twist, but I'll do my best to remain civil and realistic.

I'm saying Rex, Mart and Co are making plays despite the offensive line, not because of them. The line is shaky and inconsistent at best. You yourself said we need more talent and depth. I agree. And sometimes it does feel like the offensive line isn't even out there.

It's 5 years into the Barney Cotton show and there has been marginal if any improvement. Something needs to change.

Gave up 653 yds

The standard excuse is Bo's first couple recruiting classes were lacking. Shouldn't matter. This was a defense chalk full of Seniors. There was more than enough time to coach up the guys we did have, snag some JUCO guys to help, and turn them into a respectable defense. This was unequivocally a coaching failure.

I suppose the excuse next year will be, well, these guys are young - got to give them time to learn the defense. That could take years, if it happens at all.

Gave up 653 yds

The standard excuse is Bo's first couple recruiting classes were lacking. Shouldn't matter. This was a defense chalk full of Seniors. There was more than enough time to coach up the guys we did have, snag some JUCO guys to help, and turn them into a respectable defense. This was unequivocally a coaching failure.

I suppose the excuse next year will be, well, these guys are young - got to give them time to learn the defense. That could take years, if it happens at all.

I agree entirely.

We need to put together a vicious defense.......and yea......offensive line needs to get down right nasty!

I agree, i think we need to be more physical during practices in order for it to really show on the field. We really didnt have that"mean streak" this year on defense.

Gave up 653 yds

The biggest question i have is bo clearly trusts beck with the offense as is evident by the underclassmen that have been playing the last few years, he let beck put in the best players, yet on d time and time again he refuses to put in younger kids in favor of vets that are clearly less talented but "know the system". I say take a shot with the younger guys that have the talent to run "your system" rather than the guys that may know it better but don't have the talent to run it