My Burning Thoughts

EZ-E

I'm assuming corners will be filling the safety positions? I'd like to see Jackson give it a go, he definitely has the motor for that position.

I am fine with our "surest" tacklers there. You don't have to be overly athletic to play safety, you just have to be smart. O'hanlon was the last time we saw a mixure of football smarts and athleticism. Bottom line, we need to address this position moreso than any other this off-season.

Physically, I don't think we're far off either. Mentally, I think we're still quite a ways away. The snowball effect occurred because of the mental side of the game rather than the physical side of the game. Last year was pretty much the same when you look how we started against teams like Wisconsin, and then how they ended. Mentally, we've got to get a lot tougher.

Physically, I don't think we're far off either. Mentally, I think we're still quite a ways away. The snowball effect occurred because of the mental side of the game rather than the physical side of the game. Last year was pretty much the same when you look how we started against teams like Wisconsin, and then how they ended. Mentally, we've got to get a lot tougher.

I would agree with this statement. The encouraging thing I saw on this front was that after one of Bo's emotional meltdown, which was warrented by a no-call on that punt, and also after the no-call on Murray's intentional grounding, his team didn't go into a meltdown mode either which we have seen more times than not on our team.

Yes and No, the fumble gave their D new life, they were right on the brink of being down and out. If you watch the few plays or even the last few series before the fumble they had all but given up. Hands on hips, not getting lined up before the snap, they were ready to fold. Like EZ said Ameer hangs onto the ball i think we win that game. It put their D right back into the game.

Instead ESPN calls our game a rout, surprise surprise.

Thank you for this post EZ-E (I also love the picture with the guy and the cigar-where did you get it?) On the 'mental toughness'-How do we approach that? How do we 'fix' that? Is that a coaching issue or a player issue? I'm excited about next year too. I just wish that Bo would give other kids on the team that are working just as hard as the starters a chance to get out on the field. I think that when a kid isn't playing well, no matter if he's a starter or not, take him out and put in someone else. Who knows! That substitute may just be 'hot' during that game and make a difference. I loved this post! Great way to end the season!! Thanks again!

Pretty much spot on with how I feel. I think I'm more excited at the end of this season than I was at the start of it. A win in the bowl game would have been amazing! Setting us up perfectly for a NC consideration like you said, but it shouldn't be too hard for us to climb our way up as things stand right now. SOS probably won't help us out though. This bowl game wasn't a morale victory but it was an affirmation that the gap between us and the "Elite" programs is pretty small and anyone who doesn't realize that has blinders on.

With better safety play we maybe drop 2 games this year. I can't remember UCLA too well but I think we would have won that one, and we definitely would have been in the OSU and CCG. And all other things being the same I think we would have forced overtime or one by a touchdown in the bowl game.

100% agree about the safety play, its tough in Bo's d because the main responsibilities of he safety are off tackle run support and deep pass support, in the games we lost they failed at one or both, that's why I'm not surprised which the talk of some of the corners moving to safety, really think Jackson could be special!

Your spot on with the assessment about the depth and I have always been a believer that the difference between most teams in the top 20 especially with a month to heal and prepare is minimal. And I do think we can play with about anyone in that scenario.

I really think it was a well coached season, everyone complains when bo says execution but looking back on the losses the d game plan was pretty solid and more times than not there were people in position to make plays they really just didn't execute.

I look forward to some of these young athletes on d developing in the offseason and I hope this year put a fire in them to reatore the blackshirts tradition because from a national perspective people look at only the score and laugh at the use of the words blackshirts, that's why I love guys like rose tweeting last night that his 2013 season starts today and his resolution is to restore the blackshirts tradition!

Thank you for this post EZ-E (I also love the picture with the guy and the cigar-where did you get it?) On the 'mental toughness'-How do we approach that? How do we 'fix' that? Is that a coaching issue or a player issue? I'm excited about next year too. I just wish that Bo would give other kids on the team that are working just as hard as the starters a chance to get out on the field. I think that when a kid isn't playing well, no matter if he's a starter or not, take him out and put in someone else. Who knows! That substitute may just be 'hot' during that game and make a difference. I loved this post! Great way to end the season!! Thanks again!

That is actually a picture me at the Havana Garage at the Old Market holding a Monte Cristo and a glass of Maker's Mark on the rocks. Haha.

I believe that mental toughness comes from confidence. In my opinion, confidence stems from solid senior leadership. We had it at times this season. We wouldnt have had those comeback wins if we didn't. But overall, I don't know if we were as confident or as relaxed as they were for the full game.

I agree with Fowler though as well. ESPN ignores the fact that we had them very much so on the ropes really until Ameer fumbled and paints this one as though we were killed. This isn't as much about the College Football world's perception about us as much as it is ESPN's agenda to continue to tout the SEC as the best thing since Jesus walked the earth.

This SEC superiority is drastically overstated. The BIG had a good showing yesterday and nobody who watched those games would have been surprised if the big would have gone 3-0 yesterday against the mighty SEC.

I feel like I have a lot to say, but I feel like I've said it all before. I feel really good about the effort and the fight in this team yesterday. Not happy about the ass kicking we let them give to Taylor in the final minutes but hey, if these players think it's okay to let the opponent kick the sh#t out of their Quarterback then who am I to say otherwise. I predicted this game almost spot on, but I didn't predict Nebraska would make it look so competitive. I am impressed with how hard we fought and really we should have won that game. We SHOULD have.

Huge questions next year. Lot's of great players leaving. Some good ones coming in. Some real talent I believe just waiting to hit the field next year. The question is will they be ready? Fact is, while I don't think we are dropping off in talent, we are dropping off big time experience. We just weren't able to get a lot of guys in the rotation this season. It is what it is. We will see how that works out for us next year. DT and Safety both big question marks. Until we've actually seen the kids on Saturday's it's hard to say how they will be.

I'd like to say farewell to a great class. Burkhead is a real leader of men. Been great to have him as a Husker and truly one of my favorites of all time. I hope to see him in a Denver Broncos uniform next year. Ben Cotton another one I'm really gonna miss. We need bad ass dudes on the team like him. I hope the younger Cotton's bring his attitude and passion to the field. Good senior class with a lot to be proud of. Though we didn't win yesterday, and the Wisconsin game hurt, I hope they leave here with some great memories and call their careers successful.