My Burning Thoughts

EZ-E

In 2010, we had the 15th rated pass defense in the Big 12. It wasn't even the highest rated pass defense in the Big 12. It was also the year we had Prince, Dennard, Gomes, and Hagg. We've got some good young talent in our secondary, but I can't think of one that's quite in the league of those we had in 2010 yet.

The Big 12 is a pass happy league, and I have no doubt in my mind that NU 2010 secondary was one of the best I've ever seen, if not THE best. And it's true that who you play has a lot to do with where your defensive and offensive stats/rankings are.

I'll use this as a somewhat shaky and opinionated example: One of the phrases that I HATE hearing the most is "SEC defense." I'll grant that they are most all really athletic, but SEC defenses are not near as good as the media and SEC fans make it out to be. Yeah, there are occasional great defenses like Bama and LSU's last year and Florida's this year. But for the most part, SEC defenses benefit from the lack of quality offenses in the conference.

Just look at the year the best athlete in the SEC was on the offensive side of the ball: Cam Newton. He ran and threw all over any SEC defense that stood in his way. I just don't think the SEC is as high and almighty as people make them out to be. I'll give them credit where it's due: they are no doubt the best conference in the nation. But EVERY team in the SEC is very beatable every single year.

Great post. SEC superiority is drastically overstated.

Against the Big Ten, our offense:

• Passing: 58.7% for 200.3 yards and 1.33 TD per game.
  • Rushing: 226.4 yards and 2 TD per game.

Against SEC defense, our offense:

• Passing: 59.2% for 204 yards and 2 TD.
  • Rushing: 239 yards and 1 TD.

When Taylor was shoved I was very disappointed that someone like Ben Cotton didn't crush that guy immediately after the whistle. I wouldn't have minded Ben shoving his helmet straight into that thug's jaw.

What angers me about that whole situation is the spin put on by the commentators. The nerve of them guys to place the blame on Taylor for not getting out faster. What the hell. The SEC love fest and bias is out of control.

Well they were right! It's a problem he's had his entire career. He lets up when the side/goal line is in sight. Was the hit excessive, yes. But more importantly it was completely legal. Jessi Palmer loves Nebraska and more specifically Martinez. There was no bias there, it was the truth. They did heap all the praise on Georgia during the game but after our CCG performance what more could they really say about us.

That's the inconsistency with it all. Supporting my point. If your gonna call sh#t to protect qb's, then things like this need to be called as well. If the same exact thing happens with Aaron Murry and Eric Martin, I guaran-fricken-tee you, Martin is penalized. Hell, Suh was penalize for pretty much the exact same scenario in 2008 on Tyrod Taylor. It's a joke double standard.

WE HAVE TO GET SOME LEGIT PASS RUSHERS! Our secondary is very good, but you cant cover players with the talent Georgia has for very long. Murray had all day to throw and that is the real reason why he threw for almost 500 yards

I agree. I honestly believe that their receving corp is not better than ours. The differnece was that our offense was going against a team that had at least a couple seriously good pass rushers. These guys were studs. Taylor didn't have time to stand back there and look for open recievers, set his feet and throw. Their QB did.

Our DBs are good. What made me sick were the announcers claiming we didn't have good athletes for DBs. We DO. But, like you said, they can't be put on an island for 20 seconds waiting for someone to get to the QB.

I agree with the original post. I believe we have athlets on this team. AND, where we lack depth, we have young talent that redshirted. Our recruiting class is bringing in a few guys that could make a big contribution next year.

What frustrates me the most is that if our team would have come out in the CCG game like they did yesterday, I think we win that game. That really frustrates me.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to next year. It could be a very good year for the Huskers.

That's the inconsistency with it all. Supporting my point. If your gonna call sh#t to protect qb's, then things like this need to be called as well. If the same exact thing happens with Aaron Murry and Eric Martin, I guaran-fricken-tee you, Martin is penalized. Hell, Suh was penalize for pretty much the exact same scenario in 2008 on Tyrod Taylor. It's a joke double standard.

Did Suh deliver a clean hit on Tyrod Taylor while he was in bounds??

Did Suh deliver a clean hit on Tyrod Taylor while he was in bounds??

pretty darn close. I'll say this. Both hits SHOULDVE been penalized. How's that. The hit on Taylor(edit: Martinez) was unecassary and thuggish. plain and simple. The rule and penalty is called "unecassary roughness". Not to mention, it's one thing to give the guy a little shove, but a whole nother level to launch him into the benches, simply because the punk was bitch because skimpy little Taylor wasnt bowing down to his arrogant SEC ass and shot his mouth right back. Dirty play. simple as that.