My Burning Thoughts

EZ-E

I am excited to see who makes the big step to the starting DL and LB positions. As for S spot, any chance we throw a Frosh to the fire i.e. Singleton?

I see Singleton getting a shot to play. I am really hoping the light bulb turns on for Corey Cooper. He's a physical freak that can hit.

I agree with you on Ameer's fumble, it was eerily similar to last years S Carolina game because I think most of us agree that if we don't fumble that ball, we win that game too. As far as the overall turnover situation, I feel with Taylor its always going to be there and its something we're going to have to live with for another year. Husker fans just get used to it: Death, Taxes and Turnovers.

When Taylor was shoved I was very disappointed that someone like Ben Cotton didn't crush that guy immediately after the whistle. I wouldn't have minded Ben shoving his helmet straight into that thug's jaw.

What angers me about that whole situation is the spin put on by the commentators. The nerve of them guys to place the blame on Taylor for not getting out faster. What the hell. The SEC love fest and bias is out of control.

When Taylor was shoved I was very disappointed that someone like Ben Cotton didn't crush that guy immediately after the whistle. I wouldn't have minded Ben shoving his helmet straight into that thug's jaw.

What angers me about that whole situation is the spin put on by the commentators. The nerve of them guys to place the blame on Taylor for not getting out faster. What the hell. The SEC love fest and bias is out of control.

I'm not defending the commentators, but I definitely saw their point. He was running hard, but than jogged it the last couple yards allowing the defender to catch up and make contact in bounds. If he keeps running he wouldn't of been hit or it would have been a penalty. Any defensive player worth his salt will put a legal hit on the QB every chance he gets.

Well they were right! It's a problem he's had his entire career. He lets up when the side/goal line is in sight. Was the hit excessive, yes. But more importantly it was completely legal. Jessi Palmer loves Nebraska and more specifically Martinez. There was no bias there, it was the truth. They did heap all the praise on Georgia during the game but after our CCG performance what more could they really say about us.

I'm not defending the commentators, but I definitely saw their point. He was running hard, but than jogged it the last couple yards allowing the defender to catch up and make contact in bounds. If he keeps running he wouldn't of been hit or it would have been a penalty. Any defensive player worth his salt will put a legal hit on the QB every chance he gets.

Agreed. And my biggest concern is that it's really about his durability. That type of thing could result in an injury that ends his senior season if he continues to do it. Whether or not it's a dick move by their player really isn't the point. The point is, if you're in the green, you're going to get hit.

There were multiple dirty shots on Taylor at the end of that game. The commentators seemed to act like it wasn't even happening but so were the rest of our offense so to hell with it huh? If our own guys don't feel a sense of duty in protecting their QB and having each others backs then hel why should anyone else. That really rubbed me the wrong way. Where's the enforcers on this team? I guess we don't have one. Maybe next year well have some guys step up.

I really like Cooper too. I like Harvey Jackson even more. Not a lot out there to judge any of these guys on but what I have seen of Jackson shows he has a nose for the ball. Is Charles Jackson staying at CB or moving to safety?

CJ is definitely tough enough to play safety. EZ says Rose has all but locked up a corner spot next year which probably puts SJB on the other side. Have to get get CJ on the field.

There were multiple dirty shots on Taylor at the end of that game. The commentators seemed to act like it wasn't even happening but so were the rest of our offense so to hell with it huh? If our own guys don't feel a sense of duty in protecting their QB and having each others backs then hel why should anyone else. That really rubbed me the wrong way. Where's the enforcers on this team? I guess we don't have one. Maybe next year well have some guys step up.

Agree. The final sack of the game was tough to watch, but the problem was Georgia was doing their dirty stuff during a play, but when we'd do something (Jake Cotton) it was dumb and after the whistle.

The secondary is fine in my opinion. We'll find someone to put at the safety spot, and I feel that we have plenty of options. Our secondary was in the right position a lot yesterday, but Murray threw a number of perfect balls throughout the game. We were the best passing defense in the country for a reason, so don't get all worked up over one game, and a QB (Murray) throwing perfect passes....

First and foremost, we lost the football game. In no way am I happy about that or satisfied with that.

Here are my final thoughts on the game, our season, and our program as a whole:

1) The Georgia Game

We played with this team that nobody gave us a chance in hell to beat. I am in no way dissappointed with the gameplan that was implemented or the effort. At the end of the day, we didn't play well enough to win the football game. The part that dissappoints me the most I would say is that the talent is on the roster to win those types of games. We hadn't seen Beck use that type of pre-snap motion to shake up a defense all year. It was fun to watch them mix up their pre-snap communication because it was something that they hadn't seen on film before.

Our DLine wins the award for the biggest overacheivement in this game. In no way did I expect us to hold them to 170 yards on the ground against probably a top two or three running back that we have seen all year. We had a defensive line that had Thad Randle on one leg, Chase Rome with a busted hand, and a converted DE that is giving up roughly 50 pounds to anyone he faced yesterday.

Our Linebackers played well enough at times to win the game. Were they great? Not at all. Were they awful? Not a chance.

Our Secondary was torched by what most would consider a kid that will make a lot of money in the NFL. However; Ciante, PJ, Damien, and Andrew NEED to make the plays that they were called upon to make. How many times did we see us get torched this year on deep balls when it appeared our guy had good coverage position? This needs to stop and it starts with better safety play.

The only issues I have with the offense is the lack of adequate pass blocking in the latter half of the game, and our turnover issues. I believe the OL can be fixed with more depth, Finnin would be a great pick up out of College of Dupage. I liked what I saw from Jake Cotton. He's got a firey temper and he plays with piss and vinegar. He is going to be one that we are going to be counting on to have a big time off season.

Something needs to be done with the turnover issue. What dissappointed me the most about Ameer's fumble was that we weren't good enough to stop the snowball effect that ensued afterwards. I truely think if he holds that ball we win the football game.

2) Our season, in my personal opinion can be summed up very simply: this season, coupled with the bowl game, showed that we are not terribly far off from being in the NC conversation. Did we have our dissappointments in games this year? You bet we did. Am I willing to say that is okay? Not a chance in hell and I know 125 players that would agree with me. But all is not lost in Lincoln. This sleeping giant is about to awake and I truely think that next year aligns for a very, special year.

3) I am liking what I have seen the past four recruiting cycles from this staff. There are definately some difference makers on the roster that you will see play next year mainly on defense. Some of you aren't aware of the kids that we have basically pulled out from under rocks all across the country. I am very much so willing to bet we see a huge influx of athleticism mainly at the LB position and basically a complete upgrade at that position.

We have to figure something out at the safety spot. This is the biggest concern for me on this defense. No, it isn't DT, it is safety. We have to figure something out there. We haven't had great ones since '10.

In conclusion, we have a lot to be excited about for next year. Just think, we were 2-3 offensive plays away and 2-3 plays away on defense from beating a team that a ton of people didn't give us a chance against and we did it with a rag-tag DL. It was dissappointing to see us come up that close, but you bet ya that there are 125 players that are more pissed off than we are.

Have a good one fellas. Gonna be a long off-season as always.

This might scare you a little bit EZ, but I agree with you 100% to the word. I was going to start a thread saying the exact say thing but you said it first. I will give a little added defense to the secondary cause I know that the team was really worried about their own ability to stop the run. We did better than expected, but unfortunately it still caused the Safeties to be consistently caught looking into the back field. Tackling was another issue that I think needs to improve. We did ok at tackling during the game, but still needs to improve. Martin will be missed, and Gregory will be welcomed. I hope we get two ends like Martin for next year. I think JUCO DT is still a must for next season, if for nothing else that we need bodies. People should not be complaining about what they say yes we lost. We were capable of winning that game, but still 9 times out of 10 they beat us. A hand full of improvements addressed in the offseason and this time is in the NC discussion. I think Bo got the punt return situation fixed with Turner back there. Honestly the biggest thing might be the turnover issue. If we can fix I believe we would have won two more games this year. UCLA, and I think we could have matched OSU or Georgia to a shoot out. Turnovers kill momentum and you can't win a shootout if you turn the ball over. Hopefully next year we can average 40 points a game. We can do that simply by cutting the turnovers in half. I hope TMagic fixes that issue this offseason!! plus 1

My biggest concern for next year and it was also a major concern for me this year that seems to get brushed under the rug is Special Teams. We allowed a blocked punt yesterday that could have been much worse, we've allowed another one this year too. We don't seem to ever challenge a punt or field goal kick which will get exploited next year with more fakes. We can't ever seem to find someone to field a kick off or punt with any type of confidence (although I will say Turner looked better yesterday). We often also do a crappy job on coverage once we kick the ball to the other team on both punts and kick offs. Its not every time on the punts but it happens a lot on the kick offs. It did seem to improve some over the B10 sched. but it was still there.

I don't think people realize how big a difference that makes in a game. It probably cost us UCLA this year and it kept a lot of teams close this year that shouldn't have or it had us digging out of the hole a lot.

If I had one wish it would be that we practice this at the start and end of every practice to stress the importance.

• Fire 2

Taylor and that thug for Georgia had been going at it all game, I was glad to see T-Mart stand up and not back down. Also it was kind of nice to here the announcers talk about how tough he is and how he bounces up after every hit.

Also did anybody else here them say that Bo had said he wishes he didnt red shirt some of the players he did cuz they were ready to play and could have been helpful in the game yesterday

I didn't think the hit on Taylor next to the sideline was dirty. The commentators were right in that Taylor slowed up, and the hit occurred before or just as Taylor went out of bounds. I also didn't think the hit was even that violent, but it looked worse than it did because Taylor was pushed in the same direction as he was moving, and slid into the bench.

I thought the sack towards the end where the guy had Martinez in a headlock and spun him down was way more questionable, and possibly deserving of a flag - but I also know I'd be furious if Nebraska made a play like that and got flagged. My problem with that call is the feeling that we DO always get flagged on plays like that, and it seems like the opponent never does.

I also feel like the commentators (and maybe Taylor's teammates) don't spend as much time "defending the QB," because Taylor seems perfectly capable of defending himself. After that interception yesterday when one of UGA's players decided to block Taylor hyper aggressively, most QB's would get abused in that situation, and the commentators would be calling for unnecessary roughness on a defenseless player. Taylor held his own, and instead the story became his toughness, rather than a penalty flag.